Setting up DNS with managed.com help!

Hey guys,

I've just created an account with Managed.com, and have set up my account and uploaded my files. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to point my Domain name to this site.

When I was with servermatrix and nocster, I could just point my DNS to their servers that they gave me.. and it would point to my site. With Managed.com, their support tells me that I will have to "set up and run your own private name servers." I replied back asking for help, but have no received a response. I need to do this asap, so I won't incur another monthly expense from my previous host.

Can someone direct me to where I can learn about setting up my own name servers? It would be a great help, I've tried searching Google and Yahoo, but my keywords didn't lead me anywhere.

If you are using CPanel you can learn how by reading the documentation within WHM.

Quite honestly managed.com's support should be handling this Futuredood. You may want to consider a beter provider, one that can actually help you with issues like this (or just do it for you)...

Your best bet is to buy this.

Or of course, man named to get you off in the right direction.

YAMT

YET ANOTHER MANAGED THREAT
    ^_^

Wow, so it's not easy to do? I don't think I have time to read that book within 5 days!

I hate to say, but if you don't know how to setup nameservers on your server (especially if it's a CPanel server), then you shouldn't really be running a server. Do you have much command prompt experience? Do you know how to secure your server properly?

-Josh

Originally posted by Futuredood
    Wow, so it's not easy to do? I don't think I have time to read that book within 5 days!
    It's quite simple once you have done it a few times, but it might seem alot to take on board right away. Have you considered hiring a Sysadmin to initially set up your DNS, and give you a few hints to maintaining it?

Of course, you are not limited to BIND, there are alternatives, like DJBDNS & co, which can be easier to manage.

try the managed.com forum

Managed.com forum... Ha, that's a good one. Welcome to the unofficial Managed.com complaint forum

-Josh

I never really thought I'd have to set it up. I've gone through virtual hosts like myacen.com.. and then moved to Nocster, Rackshack, and then Server Matrix, and all I had to do was simply point my DNS to their servers.

I guess for someone in a hurry.. my only alternative is to use URL forwarding to the IP address huh?

Do you mean DNS as in your DNS server, or the Resolver IPs ? if you need the resolver IPs, then its no wonder that you don't know them, managed.com forget to put those into my box (Cpanel yup)

You can pay a company to provide DNS for you... easydns.com is one alternative to setting up your own dns servers.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

I'm talking about DNS, as in... point my Domain Name at NetworkSolutions.com to

ns1.xxxx.xxx
    ns2.xxxx.xxx

I'm trying to figure how to get that thing to point to my current server at Managed.com... I feel a headache coming on.

you could try xname.org or simmilar services , setting up DNS can be a tricky thing .. (been there ,done that bla bla)
    anoter thing is that you shouldn't have the 2 nameservers on the same box , not even in the same data center .

If you have CPanel, here's how to do it.

Log into WHM, and click "edit setup" on the right hand navigation column (The first link in the list). Go down on the left hand column to where it says "Primary Nameserver". Assign it a subdomain of the domain you wish to use as a nameserver, i.e. ns1.yourname.com. Next, press "Assign IP Address", and use one of your server's free IPs. Then click "Add an A entry for this nameserver". Repeat the steps for the secondary nameserver.

Then, log into your NetworkSolutions.com account, and register the nameservers with them (Not sure how to do this),

A good way to get used to CPanel and WHM is to check out http://www.cpaneltips.com - Most of the guys who contributed to that site (except for the owner of the site) either currently work for or used to work for BurstNET, and really know their way around the program. They also have a flash tutorials section of the site where you can learn your way around CPanel. I highly recommend their site.

-Josh

Originally posted by Joshua
    If you have CPanel, here's how to do it.

Log into WHM, and click "edit setup" on the right hand navigation column (The first link in the list). Go down on the left hand column to where it says "Primary Nameserver". Assign it a subdomain of the domain you wish to use as a nameserver, i.e. ns1.yourname.com. Next, press "Assign IP Address", and use one of your server's free IPs. Then click "Add an A entry for this nameserver". Repeat the steps for the secondary nameserver.

Then, log into your NetworkSolutions.com account, and register the nameservers with them (Not sure how to do this),

A good way to get used to CPanel and WHM is to check out http://www.cpaneltips.com - Most of the guys who contributed to that site (except for the owner of the site) either currently work for or used to work for BurstNET, and really know their way around the program. They also have a flash tutorials section of the site where you can learn your way around CPanel. I highly recommend their site.

-Josh
    Hey Josh, I run into this error:

1) "Sorry, you are out of ips to assign as nameservers."

They gave me like.. 10 IP addresses with my account, and this is my first time running this.

Since dns.mydomain.com is pointed to the wrong ip address, it's cool to switch it up to something like 'dns1.mydomain.com' right?

BTW thanks for the site link, I'm going to surf through it right now.

Wait, NM I'm understanding this better.. no need to reply to the last one! I'll keep reading up on this for now until I REALLY get stuck.

1) "Sorry, you are out of ips to assign as nameservers."

I then go to "Manage Name servers, and DELETE the IP address that was accidentally placed. It then loads up "The ip 66.79.188.180 is now ready for re-use as a diffrent nameserver."

Yet, when I reload Manage Name servers, it still shows up.. so I can't re-assign the IP per your instructions. Is there a read-only setting type thing around here that I don't know of, preventing me from clearing the name servers?

Futuredood

you have a set of ips add them to your server from WHM

then setup ur dns server.

an easy to use how to is here http://www.hostinglife.com/dns.php

if you could not manage send me a pm will be glad to help
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

I have the ensim control panel, and I am a complete nub when it comes to all of this, but for my nameservers I just went to my registrar and edited the nameservers in my account for my domain I didnt have to do a darn thing in ensim for this to work i just pointed ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com to 2 diff ip's that i had laying around and it works perfectly fine.

Cool, thanks for all the replies.

A lot of thanks goes to Boost who helped me set up the server, and put in many hours into it. It was truly great to find someone who was willing to help someone out with no expectations in return. He has all my gratitude, thanks Boost!