Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Amazing the 'quality' of sites iNet bought.

I decided to check out some of the other forums iNet bought. Seems like they are full of arrogant teenagers that are not very helpful and quite rude. IMO iNet bought these websites not in good faith in the communities, but as a way to gain another penny. Now this is my opinion and if someone can correct me i'll retract my statement. WHT is already turning into this somewhat but at least it is full of some helpful people and completely lost.
    Don't look for a way out.
      0 Not allowed!

took ya wayy to long to realize this.
      0 Not allowed!

No, I've known about how the quality of WHT has been going down the drawn, but I have been in need of some help with other projects. I decided to check out a few other properties that iNet owns, because it seems they buy the largest of them all. Foolishly thinking that a big board would be able to help I started to read and it seems it's full of arrogant kids and over powered moderators. Most of the people there I would not even trust them with my e-mail address.
      0 Not allowed!

All these people that say WHT is going down the drain, and yet they all find time to post here.

If you don't like it, no one is forcing anyone to stay/read/post here.

iNet is make money off these sites. Maybe it's just jelousy but I can't imagine why anyone would feel the need to criticize the content of forums that are profitable.

One again, if you don't like those other forums, don't visit them.
      0 Not allowed!

I've found that WHT is the only webmaster related (especially programming related) website that I can get a good response from.
      0 Not allowed!

I made a type in my first post. It should be: WHT is already turning into this somewhat but at least it is full of some helpful people and not completely lost.

For the most part people here are friendly and helpful, the parts here that are going down the drain can be removed with browser add-ons or using the ignore feature. The bad things about most of the forums I went to that iNet owns is that the majority of the members/staff are like that and you can't ignore the staff and to stay away from the members that are bad you are forced not to post. The reason why WHT is doing good (For the most part) is that it was held up in the beginning and kept maintained.

Now, every forum is going to have it's bad apples since the world isn't perfect, but it is sad that most of these forums are a money venture instead of good faith for the community.
      0 Not allowed!

I also realised that they are turning toa more profitable state, but I wouldn't say they're going down the drain. The other forums they own do, to put it simply, suck, WHT however is filled with generally good members, iNET needs to refrain from turning it into a commercial zone.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company
      0 Not allowed!

I just hope WHT doesn't serve the same fate as what happened to the sites that were bought by internet.com
      0 Not allowed!

All these people that say WHT is going down the drain, and yet they all find time to post here.
    I have my own forum with about 4,000-6,000 posts a week and I get the same thing. Every 3-4 months some older posters talk about how it was so much better back in the day and conversations were so much deeper.

I find that it is usually the person that has changed and things they found interesting on the forum before they do not anymore since many topics tend to cycle every few months.
    Alvin
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by RDX Media
    I just hope WHT doesn't serve the same fate as what happened to the sites that were bought by internet.com
    Since, according to your first post, you hadn't visited those sites before they were acquired by iNet, how can you conclude that they suffered any "fate" -- or indeed changed at all -- as a result of that acquisition?
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.
      0 Not allowed!

Some people always say WHT is going down the drain. Go back to 2003, 2002 or even back to when it was running Matt Wright's script at HostInvestigator there will be similar posts. In a community of more than 60k members I think WHT still does a great job of holding it together with relatively few problems. Granted there will be kids that cause problems, there will be disagreements and there will be other minor problems, its to be expected.

Downsizing isn't an option, but I'm sure iNet will welcome any "specific" criticism that would help in the community success of WHT.
    MattF - Since the start..
      0 Not allowed!

I completely agree with you, RDX Media. Just looking here at WHT.. it's turning into a way for iNet to make money (Ads, Premium Memberships) and less of a way for people to discuss hosting. In my opinion, it probably is iNet's top priority to make as much money as possible, and less of a priority to provide the best environment for discussion. I love coming to WHT to read and post, but I fear that in the future, WHT will become a ghost town.
    He arose!
      0 Not allowed!

Tell me something INDesignZ. What is preventing you from discussing hosting? What has changed that has affected you personally?
    What is it that would lead you to conclude that a forum that gains dozens of members per day will become a ghost town.

I'm just curious.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by blue27
    What is it that would lead you to conclude that a forum that gains dozens of members per day will become a ghost town.
    In fact what we have is a property that's making enough money to afford good hardware, top-flight forum software, and paid coders to keep everything running smoothly even while gaining dozens of members per day -- facilitating, that is, a large number of people getting together to discuss hosting.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Amazing the 'quality' of sites iNet bought.

IMO iNet bought these websites not in good faith in the communities, but as a way to gain another penny.
    Yeah, so. You know iNet is a business. Business's make money
      0 Not allowed!

One, the focus is not on WHT itself, it is the other sites that have been bought by iNet. WHT is a great community and it does have a few bad apples, which can be ignored and those annoying commercial features that can be removed by browser add-ons (As stated in post #6) iNet had added some good features to this forum.

This thread is not here to 'bash' anyone just to focus on what kind of 'quality' the other sites 'provide'.

Originally posted by JayC
    Since, according to your first post, you hadn't visited those sites before they were acquired by iNet, how can you conclude that they suffered any "fate" -- or indeed changed at all -- as a result of that acquisition?
    I never stated that they (The other forums iNet owns) suffered any 'fate' the thread title clearly shows the topic in hand was what 'quality' iNet bough. Not what iNet has done. I believe you are getting two topics mixed up by mistake.

Originally posted by MattF
    I think WHT still does a great job of holding it together with relatively few problems. Granted there will be kids that cause problems, there will be disagreements and there will be other minor problems, its to be expected.
    I also agree. That is also what I mentioned in post #6 also. It's the commercial factor that is added to WHT to add pointless features. But that is to be discussed in another thread.

Originally posted by directssl
    Yeah, so. You know iNet is a business. Business's make money
    Yes, the point of business is to make money, but that shouldn't be the only goal in purchasing property. They have added some good things but the bad far outweighs the good.
    Last edited by RDX1; 03-24-2004 at 08:27 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, the point of business is to make money, but that shouldn't be the only goal in purchasing property. They have added some good things but the bad far outweighs the good.
    Can you list the iNet properties that you think "bad" things were added, and exactly what those "bad" things are?
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters
      0 Not allowed!

Let's not forget about this...

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=249771

iNet isn't exactly making these forums a place I'd let my children visit.
      0 Not allowed!

Also notice the replies for the staff of iNet Interactive... what happened to the good ole' days when this placed wasn't owned by a company focused on making money off the visitors, but an individual truly interested in the industry?

sigh... Oh well.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by binaris

omg, an ad with someones behind showing, now that is hardcore I think people need to loosen up a bit and stop worrieing so much, don't you think your kids know what a bum looks like?

By the way, how old are your kids?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by binaris

No offense Robert, but this is a Web Hosting forum.
    It is intended to be a forum for the exchange of ideas by web professionals.

Your kids don't really belong here to begin with.
      0 Not allowed!

lol... It was simply a figure of speech. I don't see a warning when we visit stating we may have to look at fat a**es on top of every page.

It's more of a nuissance than anything, but still not something that should be put in a public place... even if it is funny.

Edit: It's on the bottom too.
      0 Not allowed!

It's definately not attractive, but where is the line drawn on censorship?

Personally, I don't really care if it stays or not, I just think the Rackforce is hurting their image by having it there.

But that's a different thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Tell me something INDesignZ. What is preventing you from discussing hosting? What has changed that has affected you personally?

I'm just curious.
    Well, for one, I don't think you read my post correctly. I enjoy coming to WHT and posting, and there is nothing preventing me from doing so. I said it is becoming less of a way to discuss hosting, I did not say that there is anything preventing me or anyone else from discussing hosting.

With the Inet bar, the advertisments, the paid memberships, and other ways for them to make even more money, they will take less priority in making WHT a better place, but the priority will be in making WHT a bigger money maker for them, and WHT will be come less appealing to new members. I'm talking about the distant future, not in the next few weeks or months.

It's a prediction, and I don't know how it will turn out...
    He arose!
      0 Not allowed!

It's definately not attractive, but where is the line drawn on censorship?
    My point being the advertiser paid iNet, therefore it's not censored. If we were to post something like that where viewers would see it without clicking on something, it would probably be removed by the moderators.

Originally posted by blue27 [
    Personally, I don't really care if it stays or not, I just think the Rackforce is hurting their image by having it there.
    I don't care much either, it just gets a bit annoying because it's definitely not hard to miss.

But that's a different thread.
    True, but it does have something to say about what iNet is contributing to it's other properties, as well as this forum. But anyway...
      0 Not allowed!

I love wht
    CEO Pixabit, Inc.
      0 Not allowed!

It's great ain't it?
      0 Not allowed!

I just think todays world is to concerned with ratings, nudity and 'protecting' there children from it. Of course you don't go showing a 10 year old an R rated movie, but I think people worry to much about this sort of thing. If you don't like it don't stare at it
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by PIXABIT
    I love wht
    I do too, it's the other iNet properties I do not like. That and their ethics in general.
      0 Not allowed!

I do too, it's the other iNet properties I do not like. That and their ethics in general.
    If your talking about them wanting to make money, I mean who wouldn't? If somebody handed WHT to you would you remove the ads? I don't think so
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Bub Host
    If your talking about them wanting to make money, I mean who wouldn't? If somebody handed WHT to you would you remove the ads? I don't think so
    You should read a few posts above.

If the server costs were paid, then yes I would remove the ads. I don't mind the ads displayed as I blocked the iFrame they are contained in. I don't mind the iNet bar either, most of the 'sites' you go to have a link page, or more of the big 'Network" sites such as Cnet and Internet.com have links at the bottom of the page.

I do not understand why this had to turn into a bash WHT thread. It's not a bath iNet thread either. I'm just mentioning they could of choose better sites to represent their company.
    Last edited by RDX1; 03-25-2004 at 12:21 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

you must remember iNet is not a charity.....its a company, and like all companies it is trieing to make as much money as it can without ruining its product or service, WHT is still great.....stop complaining, theres nothing else like it
      0 Not allowed!

you must remember iNet is not a charity.....its a company, and like all companies it is trieing to make as much money as it can without ruining its product or service, WHT is still great.....stop complaining, theres nothing else like it
    Oh he's not complaining, he's just mentioning how they could run their business better by representing themselves better in their choices of acquiring new sites.
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters
      0 Not allowed!

when I say stop complaining I am directing it to all those who are constantly saying WHT is getting worse bla bla.....it is still a great place
      0 Not allowed!

RDX Media. You must of visited yaxay

Cheers
    www.saveserver.com<-- Ask me about low cost dedicated servers
    AIM=cooltjn1
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Amazing the 'quality' of sites iNet bought.

. . . IMO iNet bought these websites not in good faith in the communities, but as a way to gain another penny.
    Wow, you've cracked the case wide open! How dare they try to make money from purchasing such online assets. The nerve of these people!

yes, I am being a touch sarcastic
      0 Not allowed!

No, I've known about how the quality of WHT has been going down the drawn . . .
    I take it that you mean, "going down the drain"?

Well, that's your opinion.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by COOLASU
    RDX Media. You must of visited yaxay
    Seems to be one of them.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    I take it that you mean, "going down the drain"?
    No, 'drawn'. It's sort of like the saying 'down the drain'. Drawn as in past tense of draw (A line) it's going down the line and not moving forward in progress. (Yes the forum is gaining members and posts but the nature of the forum is decreasing. May or may not be a bad thing.)

I never said they can't make money, i've said many times that the point of business is to make money. It is also to help others out there and shouldn't be just about making money.

I think it's pointless just to buy a forum and try and show you care and just use it as a money venture. I don't know why you think i'm bashing WHT or iNet.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RDX Media
    . . . I don't know why you think i'm bashing WHT or iNet.
    Quote Originally Posted by RDX Media
    . . . but the nature of the forum is decreasing. . .
    Well, I'm not sure what that means. But it does sound disparaging.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

It's just my opinion Dennis. It is not meant to try and bash iNet or WHT in any way. I would hope that if they are going to spend the money needed to buy these hot ticket items they would choose better forums to hold their image. I was hoping that since this forum is great that the rest would follow. Sadly that wasn't true.

I'm not sure why i'm trying to prove my opinion. You can't force others to believe your opinion. You're opinion is always true to you. I'll leave leave it at that as I have said mine.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast