APC 9222 Masterswitch - How to??

Hello.

I have just purchased an APC9222 masterswitch off Ebay.
    I am hoping to use this device at my remote computer (stand alone PC running Windows 98).
    Access to this remote computer is via the web using PC Anywhere.
    Although my 9222 appears to be unused it did not come with any instructions or software.
    I am hoping that someone on this Forum may be able to assist me in finding an instruction manual / the control software online.
    Any info as to how to get this device operational is very much appreciated
    Cheers
    Paul

apc webiste - you can d/load the manual and the setup software

flash upgrading to a much later version of the aos will save it being hacked too quickly.

did you get the console cable with it to program it ?

the 9222, does that come with the 9206 management card built in ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Hello Othello Tech,
    Thanks for reply.
    I have been onto the APC website and cannot find any downloads relating to the 9222. Is it possibly known by another model number.
    If you can point me to where it appears on the APC site that would be a great help.
    As this unit has no manual it is hard to tell what it includes - picked it up cheap - but like all bargains there may be a catch - grrrrrr.

if you want to email me a pic, or the ebay id so i can take alook ...

http://sturgeon.apcc.com/techref.nsf/partnum/990-6018E/$FILE/MasterSwitch_User_Guide.pdf

might be the wrong model - go through the user manuals, rack power, switched pdu's ...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Email Sent

Hello OthelloTech.

I have emailed you the Ebay ref which has a pretty detialed description of the unit and also a picture.

Cheers and Thanks

Paul

ah, yes, err ... you *did* know what you were buying ?

thats a powerstrip verticalmount (and they're a pain to mount in non apc racks) to be of *any* use you need the $600us controller unit which was obsoleted a year or more ago

unlike the 9212 horizontal , which has the 9206 management card for telnet/web control the vm's (you can connect upto 4 or 8 cant remember) require the controller - regularly get sold a s a set on ebay

1*control unit
    4 strips
    for around 300 ($500us)

happy shopping

Ummm thanks Rob,
    Looks like I was given a bumsteer by the Ebay seller!!!
    Basically I was looking for a means to remotely power on / power off some 240VAC devices at my remote office (via a remotely accessed PC down there). These devices have a pretty high current draw at switch on (up to 10 amps) so I thought this heavy duty type masterswitch would do the job.
    Seems I may be better off selling this unit (take the loss) and try and find something that is more suitable for my application - whatever that may be.
    many thanks for your assistance with this.
    Much appreciated

You typically want to search for an AP9211, AP9210 (if you're feeling exceedingly cheap), or an ap9217. That works for the regular 115V outlets in North America.

I could have sworn (though I could also have been mistaken) that the 9212 model was the one with the funny little outlets that looked like the ut plugs on the back of old power supplies for the old monitor cables that plugged right into your PC power supply instead of the wall.

If so, I do believe that they come from the factory with ap9606 management cards in them (a black card along the front). If not, chances are you may have been cheated, and possibly have a seller liable for providing you with a refund (as you cant sell a car on Ebay and not tell people that its missing an engine.... or can you?).

Otherwise, if the ap9606 card is in it, grab a serial cable and plug it into your pc, then use hyper terminal, and connect at 2400 baud, no stop bits, no flow control to the device, hit enter a few times, and you *should* come up with a login screen.

Factory default login is "apc" and password "apc", if you get that far and it doesen't work, unscrew the ap9606 card, and call the numbers on apcc.com, read back the serial number on the back of the 9606 and they'll give you a backdoor password (and some instructions if you request them) to reset the password on the unit to "apc/apc".

I believe you can do "apc -v" or "apc -s" at the prompt as a username instead of pulling the 9606 on some versions to get the serial number to get the backdoor password.

Hope that helps =)