Exclamation Debian vs Redhat? And Why?

Hi all

I will soon rent a dedicated server for webhosting (with CPanel). I was wondering with what OS should it be. I like Debian, because it is easy to install and update packages. But I see that the most webhosting companies are offering their hosting with Redhat.

So, my question is - why should I choose Redhat instead of Debian, like the more webhosting companies did? What is the advantage of Redhat against the Debian.

I suppose that one of the reasons could be that the Redhat is commercial and the support would be serious. But are there any technical issues that put Redhat ahead ?

Also are there any webhosting companies which are using Debian on their servers and what's their experience with it ?!

Anybody care to share ?

Thanks,
    Yas

Redhat becase cpanel is in beta on Debian

If you don't want cpanel then Debian every time

Is this the only reason ?! I don't think it is serious, because there will be released a stable version of CPnael for Debian too.

Yas
    Last edited by yasbas; 03-24-2004 at 06:09 PM.

Redhat Enterprise is fully supported by cpanel/

You might want to check out http://cpanel.net/

Yes, I saw that and was just editing my post

debian is more stable IMO and apt-get is better than up2date (which uses RPM's uhoh!)

cg
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

Well, i would go with debian just because im not really fond of rhe unless you are talkign about rh9 then i would go rh9
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

My answer always will be: Which distro are you more familiar with?
    LinuxFans.Org
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Magic Linux - No Dream Can't Be Fulfiled

Fedora or RHEL3 can use yum, which is very similar to apt-get, so I think that point is moot.

I agree with HOUSCOUS... whichever distro you are more familiar with wins every time. Personally I like RedHat because they seem to still have a larger market share in the corporate world.

Originally posted by NetHosted
    debian is more stable IMO and apt-get is better than up2date (which uses RPM's uhoh!)

cg

Apt is really cool and it is a very powerful tool and easy to use. But I'm interested in the stability of the system. I can learn to work with all the tools needed, it doesn't bother me. What I want is to know which of those two Linux distributions is more stable and reliable ?! So, it is Debian in your opinion.

Any other opinions? But please, give some arguments

Thanks,
    Yas

Originally posted by rkuris
    Fedora or RHEL3 can use yum, which is very similar to apt-get, so I think that point is moot.

I agree with HOUSCOUS... whichever distro you are more familiar with wins every time. Personally I like RedHat because they seem to still have a larger market share in the corporate world.

Woow, i've made a research for yum and i've tested it and I want to say BIG THANKS to you rkuris

Yummy?
    LinuxFans.Org

Originally posted by yasbas
    Apt is really cool and it is a very powerful tool and easy to use. But I'm interested in the stability of the system. I can learn to work with all the tools needed, it doesn't bother me. What I want is to know which of those two Linux distributions is more stable and reliable ?! So, it is Debian in your opinion.
    Debian tends to be more conservative and their Stable release is well tested. But for the same reason, Debian packages tend to be older and not on the bleeding edge for the same exact reason.

I used to use Debian only but eventually switched to RedHat because the stable distribution became to outdated for my taste. And if you are going to use the Debian unstable release, then there's no longer any difference between that and RedHat.

Redhat has a larger market share, so commercial packages (cpanel included) tend to have better support for RH than Debian.

Debian stable is rock solid. Old, but solid. I keep most of my infrastructure servers on stable, and the customer systems on testing. Testing includes packages that go several weeks without a major bug report, so it roughly keeps pace with Fedora and other less conservative distributions. (Which is why the customer boxes use it -- most RH9 commercial packages need the newer libraries from testing.)
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

So, when talking about a web hosting server, wouldn't it be better to choose the stability ?!

It's a tradeoff. Again, stability vs new features. Sure, you want stability on web hosting. But what happens when your hosting customers want the latest features of version 4.0 of program A, but Debian Stable only offers version 3.0 of program A?

Exactly. Everybody wants a stable box and the latest features, so you need to find a reasonable balance between them. So far, I haven't had any issues with testing (I don't recommend the unstable or experimental trees, however). You probably could leave a web server back on stable, since most user-installed packages are perl/php and don't rely on the bleeding edge of development.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Stability is always the first concern for server provider. You can't always let customers decide what you are going to do. I think when people become your customers they already know what kind of service you can provide.

I would choose RH because even though my friends gave high recommandation of debian/gentoo but I am more familiar with the way how RedHat manages its system. Seriously, there is not much difference between two distroes of linux but the way they manage.
    LinuxFans.Org

When you are a personal user like me, playing the latest feature is for fun. We can try lots things on our own boxes. But a ISP, should consider stability and security first.
    LinuxFans.Org

Thanks to all

I think to go with RedHat after all.

I never had any stability problems with redhat. I do hope everyone tests new rpms as they come out before installing them on their production machines. Whether it be solaris, gentoo, redhat, windows, ect I always install it on a test machine which is built similar to production machines to make sure it does not conflict with any pre-existing packages. First thing out of a project managers mouth when you update a package and it takes a production machine down is "Why wasn't this tested first?" and you will never have a good excuse for that.