Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Another disgruntled Dot5 customer

I've noticed in the past month or so that the server (NS41) my site is hosted on has been down occasionally for a few minutes to a couple of hours. I thought nothing of it because overall the site's been up.

Their status page today shows a lot of servers than I've seen before offline. That was a shock to me. Then I navigated over to their page about their data center and noticed something about iPowerweb. Huh???

I know that they removed the forums, which was a shame, and I didn't know why. They have no news page which updates customers on what's going on. So, not having been to this board in ages, I came here wanting to find out what everyone was talking about regarding Dot5.

Not good at all, although I expected to find more customers complaining here. I didn't want iPowerweb when I was searching for a host before getting Dot5 and I don't want them now.

I'm paying month-to-month (thank goodness!) and this month's payment has already gone through.

Is the best course of action for me to get another host first and then cancel my account with Dot5? I want a seamless transition between hosts. I think my advantage is that I can change DNS from my control panel at my registrar's site and any changes will take effect in just 48 hours.

I am very disappointed with this turn of things with Dot5.

I've the same problem - site is currently down - and the situation has been getting worse.

As soon as I can choose another host - I'm gonna dump them.
    http://www.mojave3online.com

After over a month of daily problems with dot5 services (servers, support, sales, everyone at dot5), I finally managed to move all the site I support. Simply put, dot5 sucks! They’ll soon be history.

Take my advice and move as fast as you can. Backup your data, get another host, SSH the new host then FTP your account at dot5 (when their server’s up!) and download all your data..

Do it while you can!

Re: Another disgruntled Dot5 customer

Originally posted by madj
    I've noticed in the past month or so that the server (NS41) my site is hosted on has been down occasionally for a few minutes to a couple of hours. I thought nothing of it because overall the site's been up.
    Your server looks completely dead on their monitor. Plus 6 others completely offline and a few others with issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dot5.gif  
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Didn't I hear that they sold or something?

http://www.dot5hosting.com/company.php

Also:
    Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.dot5hosting.com Port 80
    If they can't keep their own servers upgraded......

Ugh...http://www.dot5hosting.com/status/
    11 servers completely down.

Look at their ironic logo. You can see the word "reliability" somewhere in there
    Visit my site, please: http://www.nippoo.net

Wow 11 servers down, thats pretty bad.

This is what Dot5 had to say..

Tech: Welcome to Dot5hosting! Allow me to introduce myself as your chat representative...This is Cindy here.How can I help you?
    me: do you know 11 of your servers are down?
    me: http://www.dot5hosting.com/status/
    Tech: yes we are
    Tech: but they are not active any more
    me: they are not active meaning? what about the customers?
    me: those who were on the servers
    Tech: they have been migrated to better servers
    Tech: They have been moved to better servers
    me: maybe you should think about removing that from your status then
    Tech: yes we will be removing them shortly
    Tech: Anything else I can help you with?
    me: no thanks, im done

...still down...

just had a brief chat with a "tech" via their webpage chat.. here's the script:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
    You are now chatting with 'Tech'
    Tech: Welcome to Dot5hosting! Allow me to introduce myself as your chat representative...This is Cindy here.How can I help you?
    you: hi
    you: my site has been down all day
    you: it's www.mojave3online.com
    you: can you check it?
    you: thanks
    Tech: let me check
    Tech: You are most welcome.
    Tech: We have made some DNS changes
    Tech: Please allow another 12 hours for the issue to be rectified
    you: ?!?! will we be given free time to make up for the downtime? 2 days without the website - and no warning, isn't very pro.
    you: but thanks for the notice anyhow
    you: cheers

hmm....

if only i could ftp and download my files doesn't work

Originally posted by edk
    Call them after 12 hours, and I bet they will ask you to allow them another 12 hours.. I've been into that situation for weeks until I managed to get an updated backup. Just for the sake of it, I called them just a little while ago and asked them about the status of my website which is no longer with them, and the operator told me to wait for 12 hours for the issue to be rectified!

I had a quick chat with dot5 support few minutes ago and I was told something else. They proved me wrong

Tech: Welcome to Dot5hosting! How can I help you?
    Tech: Hello, how can I help you?
    you: hi there. I've been trying to access http://www.mojave3online.com/ and it seems to be down.
    Tech: ok. let me check
    Tech: I am rebooting the server
    Tech: The server will be up soon
    Tech: and also the site and other services will be function as the server rebootes
    Tech: Please try after some time
    you: thanks. But what's wrong with the server?
    Tech: Some services needed restart

thanks for that! madness... how can they be so crap? :-o
    i'll try again in an hour - maybe they'll have ANOTHER answer!! :-)

I think the problem may be with the fact that a lot of the support is outsourced. If you outsource support, you have to work doubly hard to keep on top of communication not only to your customers, but internally as well.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting

One has to note that they have a remarkable collection of awards (at the bottom of the page): http://www2.dot5hosting.com/

Interesting, don't you think?
    Last edited by ldcdc; 03-25-2004 at 10:55 AM.

maybe someone else can ask them what's up with my server? :-) I'm starting to lose it slowly.... :-p Just sent them an email - let's see how they reply there!

I used to work as a Dot5 tech last year. They have probably moved some servers to better servers, which makes the status monitor not pick up the new servers. The company is lacking a lot of support and all of their support team is now outsourced. I do have a few recommendations that old dot5hosting customers asked me to refer to.

Originally posted by eXecution
    This is what Dot5 had to say..

Tech: but they are not active any more
    me: they are not active meaning? what about the customers?
    me: those who were on the servers
    Tech: they have been migrated to better servers
    Tech: They have been moved to better servers
    me: maybe you should think about removing that from your status then
    Tech: yes we will be removing them shortly
    Better servers my foot. The server I was on was just fine. I was moved there a year ago because my previous server (NS5) was hit by a DOS attack. NS41 was functional.

If we've been moved to so-called better servers, then our sites should be up.

I'm signing up with someone else. As far as backup -- all of my pages and files are on my hard drive. There's nothing on the server that I need to FTP off of.

Originally posted by edk
    ...still down...

just had a brief chat with a "tech" via their webpage chat.. here's the script:

you: ?!?! will we be given free time to make up for the downtime? 2 days without the website - and no warning, isn't very pro.
    you: but thanks for the notice anyhow
    you: cheers

hmm....

if only i could ftp and download my files doesn't work
    Is your site up now?

(something weird happened to my edit)

I don't care what lame reasons they have. This is not acceptable.

BTW NexDog, that company info page cannot be found. They must be preparing some statement about the changes so they pulled the old one? I wouldn't be surprised if they also made the server status page unavailable now.

still down

Its too bad for the clients. I remember a few years ago they had a great reputation and the owner (then) posted and advertised alot on these forums. Hopefully unhappy clients will get situated with a new host.
    Good Luck
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

It's now Friday morning, and my site is still unavailable. Seems like Dot5's homepage is also down.

No response to emails... this sucks. 3 days and no website. All I can do is come here and moan. A lot of good that's gonna do me :-)

There must be some other current dot5 customers here - are you having similar problems?

Why do you stay and put up with it? Three days and no website and no word from your host means it's time to move.

ohh I know that! However, I'm waiting to get access to my server so I can pull some files and grab my DB.

I've got a backup, but not a recent one (I know I know, my fault).

oh.. and guess what - spoke to the 'tech support' again - was told the same 'wait 12 hours' story again....

DOT 5 ~ CINDY GET IT SORTED

OK, well after this comment yesterday i have no noticed, not only have our site not come back up, but their site doesnt seem to be there anymore. Just read this.

Tech:Welcome to Dot5hosting! Allow me to introduce myself as your chat representative...This is Cindy here.How can I help you?
    you:hi our websites have gone down.. taxassist.co.uk, taxassistdirect.info, taxassistforsmallbusiness.co.uk, all on ns43
    you:could u please bring them back up
    Tech:Let me check .
    Tech:We had migrated your site to more secure and reliable server. So site will take 12 hours for propogation.
    you:This isnt really exceptable. Did you want to tell us ? Maybe do it over a weekend? I mean no one is going to be able work today at all. All our customers cant access our support site. DID YOU WANT TO TELL US ?????? I presume this means our email has gone down for 12 hours too ...
    Tech:Our Server Administrator's had made some dns changes to the server and the domain for better load bearing. But this is taking some time to reflect, Hence there is an intermittent problem of outage. but this issue also would be resolved by tonight or tomorrow morning CST
    you:Why were we not informed... We are going to get thousands of support calls now, and what do we tell them ... that our hosting just decided to do some repair work without telling us..how do u think that makes us look. And to be honest how does it make u look. If you would have given us a days notice that would have been nice. But I had to contact you.
    Tech:We apologise for the down time you have experienced and the inconvenience that this would have caused you. We assure you that our System Administrators are working towards resolution and reconfiguration of the system for better performance in the future.
    you:I presume you know your website has a lot of mysql errors all over it , especially the testimonials sections. Also your support page says "Egad, we're reporting this error!".
    you:affiliates say " Software error:Can't call method "execute" on an undefined value at common.cgi line 42.For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. "
    Tech:We are aware of the issue for dot5hosting page . System admin is working on the issue.
    you:forums , " page not found"
    you:doesnt sound like you planned this much !
    you:WEll its been like that for a good couple of weeks.
    Tech: Thank you sir. Please give me some time

DOT 5 ARE TERRIBLE.

Well, they have no skills. Server migrations can be done without downtime and propagation can be instant. We have done it many times.

So, I've now tracked my site down... i'm able to view it under a temp.website address - and guess what, the SQL DB is one month old!! arghhhh!!!!!! F#$@$@$!

I can't believe they can be so Bad. But well, there you go. I'm gonna start checking out some other hosts.

This is even driving me to consider buying my own decent ded.server and sell the space I don't need at loss or something..... anything to get some control over this business.

oh and lanky_sob, that's the same copy/paste text they told me for the last days. Word for word.

Still down

Well their site is still down, phone numbers are just answer machines, cant seem to get through to 713 782 7184 (the support line).

We have bought new hosting but need to transfer a lot of stuff over, we have back ups but our db backup is just over a week old. I didnt think they would just disappear. I supose theres nothing i can do until they reappear...

Well if it was 12 hours , 30 hours ago, maybe they are working on it and any minute my website and emails will start working fast as lightning.. ooh i cant wait. its going to be so great !!

Am i going insane , i think so ...

well i have been looking around for other hosts...

i have picked dedicated-servers dot co dot uk (sorry no url, i havent had 5 posts yet... lol)

I am extremely happy about their service, great support, been with them just under a week, i was taking my time to move over , but i have to move today i think. I bought a linux server for website, and a raq server for email. At least there my servers now and i wont have another 10,000 sites on it. More expensive than dot 5 , of course, but get what you pay for i supose! Just thought id let you guys know of a good company anyway.

They annoying thing was , when dot 5 worked it actually was very quick , but it only works 70% of the working week. I cant believe they couldnt wait 1 more week for me to move..

something IS happening... as I say... I can now see my site by using this IP: http://66.235.196.40/

however, it seems as though the DB is well out of date. :-((

Didn't dot5 sell out to IPowerweb? There were articles of the sale and Ipowerweb appeared on their network page. They're like a trainwreck that never ends.

NexDog, yeah, I too find it hard to believe that folks will stay with a host such as that. Amazing.

Hehe... don't WANNA stay... more forced to at the moment.

I hope the admin's here don't mind, but I'm gonna keep adding to this thread, with updates on what happens, until I'm free from them. I just think prospective buyers should know what their dealing with :-)

update

well i have just looked at the ip address one of the previous posts gave. I managed to login to my account. New look control panel, but found that all my emails accounts were there. As for the databases , one was there , which i quickly downloaded , not sure if its uptodate or not, and the other more important doesnt have and tables, which is nice... hopefully more will be transfered soon, at least they havent disappeared of the face of the earth. Maybe we get our sites back in about 3 days !

There is nothing left for me but let people know that dot5hosting.com is absolutely the worst company.

2 years ago we bought re-seller package since our web development company has many clients. First couple month everything was OK but after that service turned into disaster.

Many hours of downtime every day. server is always overloaded by spam. Tech support is somewhere in India - chatting with you and saying that everything is OK and "you won't face this problem any more".

Mailing address (this company used to be based in UK) disappeared from site. I have HUNDREDS of copies of my chats with tech support. Nothing helps. Here is a "normal" cut/paste answer:
    ===========
    Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent email.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, we have made appropriate changes We do
    accept that there is load on server due some sites are using more resources on
    server, we are moving that site on another server so that you will not face such
    downtime in future. It may take about 24-48 hours to take in effect.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further questions you may have
    regarding this matter. You can reopen this ticket or open a new ticket for the same.

Regards,
    Dot5hosting Support Team

==============

Here is a typical chat session:

=============

Tech:Welcome to Dot5hosting! How can I help you?
    you:do we have problems with ns31?
    Tech:Let me check
    you:ns31.dot5hosting.com207.44.180.32 As of 8:10am up 22:19load average: 29.86 23.22 19.69
    Tech:please check now
    you:it works, but still slow, especially e-mail server.
    you:ns31.dot5hosting.com207.44.180.32 As of 8:30am up 22:39load average: 19.70 18.95 19.01
    Tech:please try after some time it will be to normal
    Tech:Anything else I can help you with?
    you:can you manage the load? It's impossible to work for our programmers!
    you:can you close accounts which cause these problems? All providers do it
    Tech:we are looking in to it
    you:but you are looking already for several weeks and nothing changes! ;-(
    you:May be it's a time to stop looking and do something? ;-)
    you:it's almost dead again. Sites are very slow. ns31.dot5hosting.com207.44.180.32 As of 8:37am up 22:46load average: 23.44 20.14 19.25
    you:it takes 24 seconds to connect to pop server.
    Techk
    Tech:please try now
    you:now it takes 27 seconds to connect to pop
    you:ns31.dot5hosting.com207.44.180.32 As of 8:41am up 22:50load average: 20.50 20.94 19.81
    you:and smtp is down take a look at status
    you:now pop works but http is down
    you:while you are looking into issue ;-)ns31.dot5hosting.com207.44.180.32 As of 8:45am up 22:54load average: 346.50 123.73 55.85
    you:Are you doing something or just waiting when load will come down by itself?
    Tech:we have brouth the loaad down
    Tech:you can check
    you:yes it's better... let's see for how long...
    you:ns31.dot5hosting.com207.44.180.32 As of 8:51am up 23:00load average: 4.01 40.71 39.81
    you:Our smtp server still doesn't work...
    Tech:we have stopped the service for a while
    youo, spammers use this server?
    Tech:we are checking fo rit
    Tech:please try now we have restarted sendmail
    you:thank you
    Tech:Anything else I can help you with?
    you:no, thank you. just would be nice to have normal server
    Techk
    Tech:have a nice day
    you:you too
    Tech:bye

=================

Please NEVER do business with Dot5! You'll save a lot of nerves and money.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Didn't dot5 sell out to IPowerweb? There were articles of the sale and Ipowerweb appeared on their network page. They're like a trainwreck that never ends.

NexDog, yeah, I too find it hard to believe that folks will stay with a host such as that. Amazing.
    I have to agree with Aussie Bob and NexDog here. The red flags went up on this company quite a long time ago.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

these losers... check the following:

you: hi, i sent an email to [email protected] but it was bounced back saying address not valid
    Tech: Please send it to [email protected]
    You are not currently in a chat session.

errr??? right!! still no website - and there's no way to contact the dot5hosting guys (these chat people are god knows who)....

Dot5 What a Joke

Dot5 give no real info or help to its customers BEWARE !!!!!

Heres my Live Chat Text LOL

Tech: Welcome to Dot5hosting! How can I help you?
    you: There are 10 of your servers that have been down for 3 to 4 day including my Website

A minute gose by.......

you: is any one there ?
    Tech: The servers are not down. We have shifted these server sites to new server
    you: If your changing to new servers, even I know this can be done with No or very minimal interruption by any Hosting service
    you: not days
    you: I had no notification this was going to happen and you say ("At Dot5Servers we provide our customers quality web hosting") Where’s the Quality service that’s mentioned
    you:why was i not informed?
    you: All I want to know is... When is my Website going to be Up and Running?????????

After a few minutes....

you: Hello are you going to answer my questions?
    Tech: Everything was going well
    Tech: All the data had been moved
    Tech: But there was a problem with the DNS
    Tech: and so the site did not come in time
    you: So when can i expect my site to be up and running?
    Tech: You can check the status of your site in next 24 hours
    you: oh its gone from 12hrs to 24hrs this time LOL
    you: and that was 3 days ago
    you: thanks for your none help

No reply...... LMAO @ Dot5 Hosting

What a joke this company is, STAY AWAY FROM Dot5 Hosting.

WebbyUK bye bye to Dot5

Looks like they sold out but good luck to Ipowerweb or whatever becuse it looks like allot of you guys are moving.

Originally posted by edk
    these losers... check the following:

you: hi, i sent an email to [email protected] but it was bounced back saying address not valid
    Tech: Please send it to [email protected]
    You are not currently in a chat session.

errr??? right!! still no website - and there's no way to contact the dot5hosting guys (these chat people are god knows who)....
    I chatted with "Tech" several minutes ago and he/she said to write to the same e-mail address as Cindy did. (Response from the "LivePerson" seemed to take forever.)

I've drafted my cancellation letter, but if it bounces what good will that do? Seems "Tech" is just writing from a script.

BTW, I didn't know about iPowerweb's acquistion of Dot5Hosting. Where was that news posted? Certainly not on Dot5's site. The last newsmail I received from Chris was September and nothing was mentioned about this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast