Sub-domain question Please help

I have a dedicated server from Valueweb, and I'm having a hard time setting up a sub-domain.

Well, I set it up fine, but the sub domain is inaccesable. Why is this??

My control panel tells me that the install of the subdomain was successful, and I can FTP to it just fine. It's just that when I enter it into my browser, I get an error page that says improper DNS. I thought you didn't have to mess with DNS settings for a subdomain. PLEASE help!!

whe you say improper DNS, what is the exact message, remember that a sub domain has to resolve just as any other, have you given it time to do so. It is usually quite quick but sometimes it cn take a while.

What control panel are you using?

I have the ensim basic control panel, and it's been 24 hours since I set it all up. The subdomain, that is. I would post links, but it says I can't until I have 5 posts.

I'm getting the standard error page,

"Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer "

Okay, so I assume that the domain your creating the sub domain from is resolving properly?

It seems okay otherwise given you can ftp to it. we will need the link to help you so we can check the domain.

Can you post the domain name here so we can have a look at it, the sub domain as well

you should be able to post them

it says I can't post them.

Okay, the main site is in my profile, and the subdomain name is "pendragonz"

BTW, thanks guys!!

Okay, the main domain answers with authority but the sub domain does not.

If you go to this address

http://www.ls1turd.com/users/pendragonz/

you will see it is live.

The problem is simply that is has not resolved as yet

Wow!! thanks. I set it up about 24 hours ago!! How long should it take??

I know it seems like a pain, but it happens sometimes, you might expect that as its a sub domain of a TLD that has already resolved it would be instant.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

It should not be too long before it resolves

Okay, thanks again man.

that was good!

A little case study. When on VDS, i had several subdomains that refused to resolve two weeks, or resolved interchangingly (from different providers) and temporary (in various intervals).

This case was resolved by updating all DNS zones after any change to any zone (cumbersome, yea), and now it seems to me that the problem was in the different nameservers (pointing to one an the same IP) used on my DNS server, the registrar's one and the provider's (recorded with different TTL).

After changing to dedicated server, the first thing I did was to unify all nameservers of the sites everywhere and all technical values. I got much help from the www.dnsreport.com

A little case study. When on VDS, i had several subdomains that refused to resolve two weeks, or resolved interchangingly (from different providers) and temporary (in various intervals).
    http://ls1turd.com/images/funny/WTF.jpg

I don't know what you are talking about..All I know is that the subdomain STILL isn't coming up.

http://www.ls1turd.com is the main site

http://pendragonz.ls1turd.com is the subdomain

Hi Nick,
    If you created the subdomain through Ensim, ensim currently has a bug that it does not update the dns zone.

You need to ask your service provider to reboot your server for the newly created zone to take effect.

Good Luck

I can reboot the server myself. Will that delete any of my files at all?? Or will it just sorta restart.

Well....I just rebooted my server, and the subdomain still doesn't work. I starting to think it'll NEVER work, lol.

Anybody else have a suggestion???

Angry Same problem

I have the same problem and i do not know how to solve it, seems like an ensim bug, im running fedora (core 1) with ensim for fedora !

what do i do ? have you found the solution ?
    ---------------------------------------
    Image Hosting
    Web Hosting