Question Newbie question...

I'm a student developer. I want to get some web space, but have no idea what I should be looking at. Kinda confused as to the different types. I've had the luxury of the schools servers, but it's time I started getting my own hositng.

I'd like to be able to host multiple sites with corresponding emails. I'm also looking for .NET w/ MS SQL. Just looking for direction as to a host or type of hosting that fit this student's budget .

I've found one (fortehosting.com) that seems to fit my needs, but have found nothing about them when searching the forums. Seems like most of the hosting discussed her isn't of the ASP.NET/MSSQL flavor.

I've searched the forum for recommendations, but have had trouble finding hosts that fit the bill. I'm not looking for quotes, and am kinda leary of giving my personal info out on what looks like a paid for lead generation thingy.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can provide.

Confused newb,
    B

Hi There, welcome to WHT!

The reason you're not seeing many .NET / MsSQL hosts is because by comparison, there are far more Linux-based providers around here. The only Windows provider I have experience with is Nexpoint.Net - they offer .NET solutions and I had a great experience with them in the past. They're located in a Verio's facility somewhere in VA (I forget where).

Also, no need to fret about the Host Quote feature here. Your details are only seen by Premium WHT members who want your business.

Best of luck!

Also, no need to fret about the Host Quote feature here. Your details are only seen by Premium WHT members who want your business.

Maybe you have confidence in that but I certainly don't.
    A premium member is someone who has $50 to spare.
    Doesn't make them any more trustworthy than any one else.

hmmmm?? I can become a Premium Member by buying my way in?

For $50.00 is that all?

oopppssss a bit off topic ......... well I have noticed that there are lots of Linux Based providers here but I do recall seeing one that did offer Windows services I will see if I can find it again and get back to ya.
    A new Beginning for WebMasters
    WebMasters Forum
    TotalWeb International Net Consulting
    Internet Consulting, Hosting and Business Solutions

I'm just looking for a reliable host to improve my programming/db skills. I'd like to do some .NET projects for a few small biz buddies.

Nextpoint looks pretty good. I'll investigate there services and search the forums for comments on them, but aren't you guys always railing against the "Unmetered Monthly Transfer" type providers? The site says unmetered in one area, but then gives a rough estimate of the number of hits per month for the same plan. What the?

Looks like I want to go with a shared plan? Most of those don't seem to allow multiple domains. Is it common practice for folks in my position then to open multiple accounts for each seperate site?

Originally posted by blue27
    Maybe you have confidence in that but I certainly don't.
    A premium member is someone who has $50 to spare.
    Doesn't make them any more trustworthy than any one else.
    Perhaps you're right, but I do have more confidence in WHT than other directories. This isn't to say I am confident I won't get a ridiculous offer from an unknown company via Host Request, but I know that if it's absolutely absurd (unlimited bandwidth/disk space/bulletproof/bad rep/etc...) members will bring it to a mod's attention rather quickly.

I'm just looking for a reliable host to improve my programming/db skills. I'd like to do some .NET projects for a few small biz buddies.

Nextpoint looks pretty good. I'll investigate there services and search the forums for comments on them, but aren't you guys always railing against the "Unmetered Monthly Transfer" type providers? The site says unmetered in one area, but then gives a rough estimate of the number of hits per month for the same plan. What the?

Looks like I want to go with a shared plan? Most of those don't seem to allow multiple domains. Is it common practice for folks in my position then to open multiple accounts for each seperate site?
    Yes, you're partially right - my personal opinion is that unlimited bandwidth is ridiculous, and unmetered bandwidth is a marketing tool that's just used to win your business. With unmetered hosts, such as Nexpoint, your limitation is with resource consumtion - your site goes crazy? They kill your account. My experience with Nexpoint was pleasant, however, and I am good friends with an ex-employee. They have quite a few servers in their rack(s) (possibly a cage by now) at Verio, and they have the financial backing to be offering "unmetered" bandwidth.

You will want a shared plan, but perhaps you can call them up and get pricing on adding additional domains to your account. Otherwise, you may as well just buy additional accounts.

Hope this helps!

Hi! boldB,
    The people here always stand against unlimited space/bandwidth providers because space and bandwidth comes at a price.. so it's not possible for them to provide it for no or fixed cost. So generally such offers have a catch....

And for multiple sites you have to buy a reseller account. Based on the type of reseller account you buy, you can host a number of websites on it.
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

And for multiple sites you have to buy a reseller account. Based on the type of reseller account you buy, you can host a number of websites on it.
    I think he doesn't need to do that - most of the quality and professional web hosting providers offer this feature.

Thanks for the responses.

After more research, Forte isn't looking like my solution. They've been in business for a number of years, but operate under a few different names, one of which matches their actual corperate identity.

onlinepresence.com
    fortehosting.com
    zeehosting.com

What's the point of having three different sites, for the same company? Makes me nervous.

Gah, confusing.

The search continues....

BoldB, it could be that they took over several hosting companies in the course of establishing themselves. I've done the same thing, and now have 4 domains that point to one company myself. (This is NOT a plug for my services, rather, just an example of how hosting companies can merge and be "taken over").
    Douglas Hazard - Certifiable Sports Junkie and Sports Community Enthusiast

Host of Two Cents Radio - Follow @TwoCentsRadio on Twitter (@BearlyDoug on Twitter)

Originally posted by JamesCC
    hmmmm?? I can become a Premium Member by buying my way in?

For $50.00 is that all?

oopppssss a bit off topic ......... well I have noticed that there are lots of Linux Based providers here but I do recall seeing one that did offer Windows services I will see if I can find it again and get back to ya.
    The normal premium membership is $50/year, in order to have access to leads & be a premium member, it costs $200/year. I don't think the dedicated server leads are worth it, all I got was one client that spammed with 3 servers... Almost everything else is priced way too low, although there are a few good leads. Very few though.

- Matt

Yeah I kinda figured that out mainarea I have seen the prices that most around here are looking for ......... we can't compete with that market ....... would not make enough to cover the cost of support, development, and testing services.

We have picked up one client here at WHT and that was a fellow that needed a place to host a community web site. we donated the space and bandwidth and continue to do so even tho the site has not been updated in months.

But on the brighter side of things I have found some great resourses here and some other great forums to visit.

Ok back on topic now.

I never did find that post with the Windows Hosting sorry.
    A new Beginning for WebMasters
    WebMasters Forum
    TotalWeb International Net Consulting
    Internet Consulting, Hosting and Business Solutions

Thumbs up

Originally posted by JamesCC
    ...I never did find that post with the Windows Hosting sorry.
    No worries, eh.

Ended up with boundgrid. So far so good. Instant activation with instant access to my web space. We'll see how things are a few months from now.

B