copy right at the end of the page?

I was wondering what kind of rules you put in the design contract to make sure your "designed by <a href="www.somecomany.com>someconamy inc.</a>" at each of your clients page?

i have some clients that asks me to remove it because they want to show that they designed the website with their IT dept. or something.

how to force somehow? or is it charge more if they wnat to remove the copyright ??

Thanks for sharing your ideas
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by Bashar
    how to force somehow? or is it charge more if they wnat to remove the copyright ??
    You'd just have to put language in your contract specifying that copyright to the contents of the site belong to you, and that a notice to that effect must be placed on each page, or on the index, or whatever you want.

What you seem to be talking about, though, isn't a copyright notice,but a design credit: "site design by," "designed and produced by," or whatever you want. In most cases the client is providing the content to the site and would expect to retain the copyright to that content. Even if you're supplying the content, it'd be reasonable for them to feel that if they want to be able to change it as needed they'd want to own the copyright. So you're just taking credit for the design and production, you're not claiming copyright.

It's certainly not uncommon to ask for more money if there is no design credit on the site. One way to approach that also is from the other direction: quote a price, and offer a small discount in return for placement of that notice. That way, though, you may have more people choosing not to have it -- unless the discount is a little more than "small." In any case, you'd have to specify in the contract that it has to stay. What you'll run into, though, is clients who make changes to the site and then feel that it's not "your" site any more.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

and how design firms these days keep their credit at others websites?

or its just 'that' client is nice to keep it?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

If they have acess to their site, I can't think of any way to keep it on there unless it's embedded in flash or something.

I think a lot of companies (hosting ones in particular) who pay big money for well-known designers WANT to keep the "designed by" links on the site because it shows what kind of money they put into their site and is kind of a bragging right...

Regards,
    Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

Many times, too, with those firms it's not just a short-term deal where the designer gives them the site and walks away. There's an ongoing maintenance agreement -- that's the best way to make sure your credit line stays in place over a long period.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Just to add a different perspective - if you do NOT have an ongoing maintenance agreement (where you are the only one doing updates and additions to the site) you don't WANT your tagline at the bottom.

Because if you design a great looking site, then turn it over to an inexperienced client for daily upkeep - and they throw the design all out of whack, screw up the images, table layout, proportions, font, etc etc - then you have your reputation at stake to anyone who visits that site - appearing to be responsible for shoddy design work.

Believe me - it happens.

Just another point to consider.

You can take Ceonex as an example, they design sites wich they maintain praticly forever.

I agree with JayC, it's a pretty good image show-off if you have a link stating that your site was designed by a major agency.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Hey,

You can bind it in your privacy statement somehow, basically saying by creating this website we reserve the right to leave design by, developed by and other such variables of these at the bottom of the design on every page.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Originally posted by belindaj
    Just to add a different perspective - if you do NOT have an ongoing maintenance agreement (where you are the only one doing updates and additions to the site) you don't WANT your tagline at the bottom.

Because if you design a great looking site, then turn it over to an inexperienced client for daily upkeep - and they throw the design all out of whack, screw up the images, table layout, proportions, font, etc etc - then you have your reputation at stake to anyone who visits that site - appearing to be responsible for shoddy design work.

Believe me - it happens.

Just another point to consider.
    I completely agree. I have so many client websites where they have messed the entire page up, that I would be embarrased to put my name under it.