no more sleekhost...beware

I had an account with them, but no more.

"Your account has been now moved to a different server due to the recent problem, you can get your new account information from sleekhost, please user your username and password to login."

Whatever they screwed up in December/January (they won't say what the "recent problem" was) caused them to stop billing me and not send notices about anything. Now they say my database is deleted along with my site for nonpayment.

Here's the (lack of) support ticket:

RE: Payment Receipt from Sleekhost.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Update: 24 Mar 2004 10:18 AM
    Last Replier: Amit Agarwal
    Department: Billing
    Created On: 23 Jan 2004 06:59 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Richard Draut

(customer)

Posted on 23 Jan 2004 06:59 PM

Good Afternoon...

Ref Account No. 1616

I cannot get to my website. Please let me know if there is a problem.
    I have the same credit card that is on file and it is valid until 11/04.

Thanks,
    RIchard Draut

Amit Agarwal

(staff)

Posted on 23 Jan 2004 08:56 PM

Your account has been now moved to a different server due to the recent problem, you can get your new account information from sleekhost, please user your username and password to login. Your username is swelec and password is XXXXXXXX. Please note you will need to reconfigure the database connection strings on the new server based on the new configuration, you can add DSNs from the new control panel and configure you database, the new control panel has all details needed for your database. You will also need to reset your FTP password for the first time use. all these features can be accessed by clicking on the domain name once you login into the new control panel. Important Note : If you are managing your own DNS account, please change your website ip address to the new ip address assigned to you. If you need any further assistance or have a problem, please send us an email to [email protected] with as many details as possible about your account and the problem you are still facing or any other issue you might have for a early resolution. Sleekhost Team [email protected]

[email protected]---------------

Richard Draut

(customer)

Posted on 18 Mar 2004 12:22 PM

This is not working. I cannot log in. My domain is pointing to your nameservers but won't resolve. I need to get to my database and files ASAP. Please let me know what the problem is.
    Thanks,
    RIchard Draut

Amit Agarwal

(staff)

Posted on 21 Mar 2004 10:47 PM

This account has been cancelled due to nonpayment.

Richard Draut

(customer)

Posted on 22 Mar 2004 10:02 AM

How can it be cancelled for nonpayment when it is a recurring credit card charge??? It needs to be reinstated and my data restored.

This card does not expire until 11/04 and the account was moved because of a server problem at sleekhost, not because of anything I did. I didn't even know it was down until I looked, I was not notified when the "Your account has been now moved to a different server due to the recent problem" occurred.

I need my information that was hosted on your server (including the database).

Thanks,
    RIchard Draut

Amit Agarwal

(staff)

Posted on 24 Mar 2004 12:14 AM

We had sent several reminders for manual payment but we did not get any response from your end for over 2 months so we cancelled the account.

Richard Draut

(customer)

Posted on 24 Mar 2004 09:54 AM

I need my data. Are you saying that you don't have a copy of any of it?

"We had sent several reminders for manual payment but we did not get any response from your end for over 2 months so we cancelled the account."

Look at the dates on this thread - there is not a 2 month gap in the dates. Where did you send the reminders? I have a slew of messages just like this one:

"Dear Richard,

Your website southwestelectronicenergy.com is hosted with us, we have
    successfully billed your credit card for the Monthly charge of $11. The
    charge in the credit card will appear as SCRIPTMATE or 2checkout.com, this
    is to make sure you don't dispute the charge. Please email us if you need
    any clarification or need any information.

We have billed the card number XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX.

If you want us to bill a different credit card next time, please goto
    sleekhost and login with your username and
    password and add a credit card for your account.

Thank you
    Billing Department
    [email protected]

Ref Account No. 1616"

Amit Agarwal

(staff)

Posted on 24 Mar 2004 10:18 AM

We don't have the data as the account was deleted. We sent the emails to the same address to which the receipt was sent.

Ouch. I hope you had recent backups. That's horrible business.
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

Time to move ahead.. get into a new home and this time be little cautious before signing up
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Apologies for your loss of data (Apologising for your horrible host) I hope you dont need to go through that again.

MOST and i mean most DECENT hosts will only "suspend" your account for non-payment, althought it seemed like you have paid which is very strange.

Myself, i would be more inclined to look into the matter than being a drone and deleting your account and continuing on my way.

I would say that you should move on and hopefully take any backups with you, if you dont have a backup of your site, ask them if they may have one... i sincerely hope they dont have the neck to charge you for downloading it though... That would just be insanity.

They dont seem to have any communication between their staff, telling you one thing then another is not a very good thing at all, since if they had any sense of a "brain" they would look back on past tickets/problems and be able to work out the solution unlike telling you one thing and the next time you contact them a total opposite of what you heard before.

Sounds like they are using the non-payment story as a cover-up for a loss of your data on their end.

Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

Splitting this topic from an old thread.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.