Finding out which domains a person owns - doable?

Hey everyone,

Here's the deal - I do web design on the side and a large client of mine (DJ company) recently found out that another DJ company is using a domain name similiar to his. Let's say his is JohnDJ.com, the other company is using JohnDJs.com. Needless to say, he is very upset and is in the process of taking legal action against this company. Apparently, they have done this with a few other DJ companys. So, my question - is there a way to search on a person/company and find out which domain names they own?

Thanks!

Google it. Start by doing a WHOIS on the nameservers they use, then Google those as well. You might end up finding several missing links this way.

A possibility is to look around their site also and see if they have any links to their other sites.

I think google would be a great tool as suggested by timechange. It could be an easy task but also a very hard task if they have their domains dotted around hosts and not linked in any way.
    -- Matthew

http://openaccess.dialog.com/ip/

click on the domain names section and you can search by registrant name (owner field), they cover most registrars but not all.

simple answer no
    longer answer .. use the search feature heer and lookup the previous threads on the subject
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

0) Send them a email with a demand to cease (if you have a trademark).

1) Ask them for their address / contact details (not likely).

2) Contact their host (with complaint).

3) Hire a private investigator.

4) File a complaint with domain authority.

Costs and hassles vary. Usually not worth it unless you have reg. trademark.

Hey everyone...thanks for the responses. The situation is looking better. My client was ready to pursue legal action but the company decided to settle and give up the domain name. We'll see if that actually happens.

Thanks again!

Here's the deal - I do web design on the side and a large client of mine (DJ company) recently found out that another DJ company is using a domain name similiar to his. Let's say his is JohnDJ.com, the other company is using JohnDJs.com. Needless to say, he is very upset and is in the process of taking legal action against this company. Apparently, they have done this with a few other DJ companys. So, my question - is there a way to search on a person/company and find out which domain names they own?

Thanks! [/B]
    There is no direct way to find all domains owned by a single company - but there are tweaks that you can use

Option 1:

If i want to know all domains owned by Ev1servers.net I goto :
    http://whois.webhosting.info/ev1servers.net

From here I come to know that this same IP hosts "123" domains.

I then click on the IP address - http://whois.webhosting.info/207.218.223.142

I am now looking at a large list of domains owned by Ev1servers

Option 2:

I think companies like http://www.webhosting.info can give you custom reports whereby you can search for a sub-string in every domain name in the world. So, suppose my trademark was "xyzabcd" - I could ask them to give me a list of all domain names in the world that have "xyzabcd" in them. However, this method might end up costing you something as compared to the above method
    Philip Dixon

I saw a comment that mentioned something about "zone files". Any info on how this works?

Re: Finding out which domains a person owns - doable?

Originally posted by prelude79
    So, my question - is there a way to search on a person/company and find out which domain names they own?
    To simply put, the answer is NO! It WAS possible back in the days when there was only 1 registrar (i.e. Network Solutions) and they allowed you to search by registrants (a.k.a. owners). They later capped that to 50 domain names, which was still useful to a certain extent. However, with the opening up of domain registration, now you have dozens of registrars and the central registry does NOT return the registrant field in query.

And don't forget that people can register domains under different entities, e.g. personal or company names. So again, you can never tell.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

even then i was not possible
    - remember there are *hundreds* of domain extensions, not everyone uses com/net/org - both .de and .uk have millions of domains under their tld
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules