Thread: Xeon or P4

Xeon or P4

Well I have a question. If you could only pick one which is better, more cache or a bigger FSB? If you had the choice of a 2.4 1mb Xeon or a 2.8 800mhz FSB P4 which would you pick. You would use this as a personal computer NOT a server.
    Thanks,
    David

I'd replace my P2 266 with any of the above. :-)
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Dual or single Xeon?

- Matt

if dual, xeon, amazing processor for hosting perposes.

2.8 800mhz... or if you want to spend a little more you can get a 3.0 with double the l2 cache and still have an 800 mhz fsb.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

Single processor and the Xeon with a 500 fsb.(I do not know the exact number)

The newer Xeons have three cache stages, with L3 being 2MB I beleive? I would probably go with the Xeon
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Xeon for most buisness applications.

Anyone else?

dual xeons if you can afford them

have a few dual xeon boxes and they run more gaming servers on the same machine smoothly than i could have imagined.

For a personal computer, faster FSB. Most of the applications that will actually push the box (encoding, rendering, games) will overrun a cache of virtually any size with large textures and read-once data. (This is why the original Celerons did well in quake benchmarks, but got slaughtered in application benchmarks.)

One notable exception is compiling, so go for the Xeon on a dev box.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Re: Xeon or P4

Originally posted by dsheli
    Well I have a question. If you could only pick one which is better, more cache or a bigger FSB? If you had the choice of a 2.4 1mb Xeon or a 2.8 800mhz FSB P4 which would you pick. You would use this as a personal computer NOT a server.
    Thanks,
    David
    I happened to have tested servers side by side with such a spec with Windows 2000. P2.8 HT 800mhz 80GB IDE drive, Dual Xeon 2.4 533mhz 80GB IDE drive, both same memory 1GB.

1. Static Web Page

When not much user or load on the static webpage. You will find both about on par. Once you have heavy load, this is where you see P4 slowing down, whereas the Dual Xeon still very fast. But lots of memory can improve performance here.

2. Heavy SQL coded Dynamic Page

The Dual Xeon will perform much better here with or without any heavy load.

3. CPU performance I tested it with Performance Test softare, P4 2.8 does have much faster memory and CPU processing. But really doubt the performance test software as not sure if it does Dual Processor testing effectively or not.

4. Should you want faster performance, having SCSI and RAID will boost performance significantly. Particularly SCSI allows you to handle faster database request and more simultaneous harddisk request. RAID1 (even for mirror) seem so improve the random seek and read access. But it does slow down the write access for IDE RAID1 (mirror).

So all depends on what your website would be doing. I had done my own testing by actually renting different servers to attempt to optimise my web site, and still found that for a heavy dynamic website, you will still be better off paying for like a Dual 2.4 or 2.8 Xeon with SCSI RAID1. But I personally will go for Dual Xeon then P4. So far Dual Xeon has shown to be able to handle heavy website load. "Two processor is better than one".

PS: If you are using RH9 or RHE, please double check that against HT and kernel issues / cpanel issues. I have been reading too many users with such issues. I am using Windows so no issue on this.

Hope that helps.

Warmest Regards
    Robert Lee

I agree with the others. Go for the P4. Unless you're running Linux on the desktop, the hyperthreading on the Xeon doesn't do you much good.

We are having over 100 clients with all-in-one server type..cpanel
    i keep the KeepAlive Off
    and set only connections and timeout in MySQL

runs good, smooth
    P4 2.8G 800FSB