how do I make my computer work as a a web host

I'm starting a biz and I want to make my computer host my web site I don't want to have to pay to have some one else do it for me I need to know what software and hardware I need and how to hook it up I have cable modem and am already hooked to the net and would like any help I can get

1: Are you going to be running Windows or Linux. I would Recommend Linux.
    2: Always on internet connection
    3: You will need business class internet connection. Home/Redidential class, it's against rules to host websites.
    4: What happens when your connection goes down? So does your site. Same with power.
    5: You need technical experience to be able to admin and secure your server
    6: Why not spend $2/month and get your site hosted in a datacenter with redundancy, backups etc...?
    Global Datacenter
    Low Cost; Reliable Network; Unmetered Data Transfer
    3Mbit Unmetered, or 10Mbit Unmetered; Direct Admin Control Panel
    www.GlobalDC.com

oh, BTW, Welcome to WHT
    Global Datacenter
    Low Cost; Reliable Network; Unmetered Data Transfer
    3Mbit Unmetered, or 10Mbit Unmetered; Direct Admin Control Panel
    www.GlobalDC.com

Do you have a static ip? If not your going to have to start with a dynamic dns client. Enom has the option if you can code a little bit. Or check out dyndns.org. Other then that you will need a router, a seperate box with your web server, mail, sql etc.
    Do you have experience with linux?
    I ran my own server at home with biz class dsl. Cost me $70 a month just to run 1 personal site. I figured, hell, $39 more I could lease a server and sell space on it. Which lead me to where I am.
    -Dave

If you are going to run a low traffic site (I consider a typical small biz website low traffic), a business DSL or cable connection will do the job just fine. Don't worry about redundancy too much, you'll probably find your network uptime is greater than most budget DCs can provide - just backup offsite and be happy. [My Biz DSL line in Calgary has been rock solid for nearly 4 years, and I often use one of my local FreeBSD machines as a failover when my leased dedicated server goes down].

You should consider using a separate machine from your regular home PC - you can pick up an old PII for next to nothing, FreeBSD will run like a dream on something like that. You'll probably be wanting a static IP address, and it's worth asking your ISP if they allow custom PTR records, or even delegate reverse DNS to one of your servers.

Last (but by no means least), you'll need sysadmin skills to manage your chosen operating system - good books are your best bet, supplemented by mailing lists, newsgroups and websites.
    Last edited by simonhouse; 03-24-2004 at 02:28 PM.

Many cable ISPs prohibit servers and/or block port 80.

- Matt

i would seriously sugest you dont host your own site on your computer, viruses... crashes, downtime, errors... just but a few of the problems you will face

8. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com