Thread: Plesk's Service

Thumbs down Plesk's Service

We only have one plesk server, and decided the 7.0 control panel looked promising, we were still on the 5.5. This server is a nice poweredge server, but its a bit outdated and we wanted to move off it as well. So, the plan was to upgrade to 7.0, have a fresh install of 7.0 on the other server, and then just transfer the files.

Last time we upgraded plesk (2.5 to 5.0 I believe) we ran into a ton of problems, screwed over the whole system though we followed the update procedure verbatim. We ended up having to pay plesk $110 an hour to wipe the whole server and get us just a fresh install so we could manually recreate each domain/email/webuser from our database hard copy, then dump the clients files back into the server from a backup. Nightmare.

So, we decided who better to do this upgrade/move then plesk. They wrote the software, they should be able to upgrade the thing. Even if we have to pay them quite a bit to do it, more then we were quoted from any other server /site moving service. It would be the safe thing to do, minimize downtime.

Well, since about 2 pm yesterday the clients web sites still can not be reached and our server is down. Here's the latest email we've recieved from them:
    Sorry for such song service. Upgrade called many problems.
    We already installed fresh Plesk 7 on Server2. So when we solve problems on Server 1 we will restore
    dump on Server 2 and let you no.
    Thank you for your patient.
    Ok, even though you are just trying to upgrade your own software, I can understand problems. Its hosting, problems happen. What I can't understand is THIS:
    [[email protected] root]# who
    root pts/0 Mar 24 11:16 (cae168-200-188.sc.rr.com)
    [[email protected] root]#
    and
    [[email protected] root]# who
    root pts/2 Mar 24 11:17 (cae168-200-188.sc.rr.com)
    [[email protected] root]#
    You can obviously see no one from plesk it logged into either server. They broke it, then left it. Unacceptable when we payed them a chunck of change to do this.
    We call up plesk, seems like the only person we can talk to is the receptionist. Its 11:00 am on a wednesday, and I know of no holiday. Funny how you can just click a button to upgrade cpanel.

Maybe that's one of those Plesk security features I've heard about.

How much more secure can you get?

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I hope it's settled by now, but if it's not, you may want to consider asking for a refund or getting a chargeback, and maybe heading over to the guys at 4psa. They do that sort of things and I've heard good things about them, and they do know Plesk well.

You may have more luck with a smaller company...

prime

We have done a few upgrades from 5.5 to 7 and they went off without a hitch. We upgraded to 6 first and then to 7.

I've never dealt with Plesk support. It's widely known in the Plesk field that if you use Plesk, you are on your own. You have to pay for support to. The software is great but have to know it inside out but I can't comment on Plesk support unfortunately. I'm sorry this worked out badly for you. But like prime says, 4PSA would have done a spectacular job and we would have helped if you asked. Many people OM me for advice over Plesk as I pimp it so much ( ) and I'm only too happy to help.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

4PSA isn't the only company out there either.

I agree, relying on Plesk support to perform work isn't a good idea.

Relying on them to respond to emails with answers on how to fix things has improved during the last few weeks.

The biggest thing with plesk is you have to know how to administrate a server. If it breaks, 99/100 Plesk will respond with how to fix it and not fix it themselves.

If you can't perform these tasks, then you should look at server administration from somewhere.

Unhappy SW-soft Support is Awful!

We recently purchased Plesk 7 as part of a new web hosting business that we're setting up. Although we are pleased with the software, our experience with SW-soft's support has been terrible.

The people in the USA are very nice, but the support team in Russia is essentially useless. We've been trying for two weeks to get a problem fixed without success.

In desperation, we contacted 4PSA and we've been pleased with the results and the timely responses that we have been getting from them.

I'm not sure what's going on at SW-soft; however, in our opinion based on our experiences we would NOT recommend paying them for support.

Instead save your money, and contract with 4PSA on a per call basis whenever you have a problem.
    Last edited by nwdhosting; 03-26-2004 at 06:05 PM.

who only shows people currently logged in to the box,

You want to run the command "last" to see who logged in.

Plesk's support is one of the best in the industry, but you have to make sure you read thier release notes before doing upgrades. If you are not running the right os verision before you upgrade there can be alot of issues.

we have been using plesk since 2.5 and only have had minor upgrade issues all cause by us not seeing we needed to be running FreeBSD 4.7 to upgrade to 6.0.

Plesk was able to help us correct our problems in the matter of about 45 minutes. They did a great job and evertyhing on our 45 some odd PSA server is running great.

Good luck getting your box back and working again.

4PSA is excellent. Extremely responsive, knowledgable and quick.

Its SW-Soft... what more needs to be said.

Didn't they use to be banned around here from spamming the forums?

Tracy Phillips

No.

Originally posted by NexDog
    No.
    Yes they were.

Really? Don't remember that at all...

It was about a year ago.

I was an HSPComplete early adopter and remember the ban because you could not write "HSPComplete" because it would be *********** and the same if you wrote SWSoft.

Tracy Phillips

Weird, most have been during one of those busy times where I deprive WHT of my presence for weeks at a time.

does this 4PSA that everyone is mentioning does server migration (cpanel 9 to plesk 7) ?

Originally posted by d3nnis
    does this 4PSA that everyone is mentioning does server migration (cpanel 9 to plesk 7) ?
    IIRC, yes.

I use plesk since V5 ..

What can i tell..
    Plesk was nice before swsoft came in the game...

Plesk 7 have numerous & ridiculous bug, they dont put any beta test out then wait for us to find the bug on production server, more they take month to release a fix !! ... In fact bug in V6 as still here at this time whitout any patch released (force user to upgrade.. hmm so more bug in v7... ??)..

Those bug plague V7, upgrade, backup system, mac incompatibility, slow admin panel, random crash, multiple USERS fix to patch all this crap... Its simply horrible...

need hard time to get a response from email, support as i have see was good (if you pay for it) .. else dont even expect a reply...

Not to tell everyting is now paying $$$ for every option that are not well build at all as now..

There is 1 nice thing on plesk 7 , the look is better !! But realy at this point , who care ????

This my 2cents.., its what i think after 2 years using plesk !

There are no bugs that can't be fixed. We aren't upgrading to 7.01 because we already fixed everything that is "fixed" in that version. Plesk 7 is a huge leap for Plesk with lots of new features so of course there will be bugs. The upgrade overwrites some permissions - correct. We knew that would happen and told everyone to be vigilant and check their scripts. Working together with our clients, we got through that. Backup system, works fine. Mac incompatibility - well yes (since Plesk 6). Mac users use Mozilla, Opera or Firebird. We have loads of Mac users and they are fine with that. Admin panel is faster now than it's ever been and it has more graphics. Random crashes? Nopes, uptime here is great.

Sounds like you need an experienced Plesk sysadmin to look after your server.

There are no bugs that can't be fixed. We aren't upgrading to 7.01 because we already fixed everything that is "fixed" in that version. Plesk 7 is a huge leap for Plesk with lots of new features so of course there will be bugs. The upgrade overwrites some permissions - correct. We knew that would happen and told everyone to be vigilant and check their scripts. Working together with our clients, we got through that. Backup system, works fine. Mac incompatibility - well yes (since Plesk 6). Mac users use Mozilla, Opera or Firebird. We have loads of Mac users and they are fine with that. Admin panel is faster now than it's ever been and it has more graphics. Random crashes? Nopes, uptime here is great.

Sounds like you need an experienced Plesk sysadmin to look after your server.
    so You dont have any need to patch init.d/httpd ?
    As well as init.d/named

As for backup are you sure it work well ? Well i have yesterday another chown to a httpdocs of a domain because backup is crashing on those domain.. and i'm not the only one to have this prob and still no patch... Backup is not important thing right ? ;-)

For sure until all is corrected its working almost right (except for the backup that need a fix from plesk)...

I just dont like putting a 1000$ software for running production server whit so more bugs and wait forever for any patch...

Well, I do know that our admins had to recompile apache after the upgrade due to strange "Apache is exiting!" errors. They studied the issues, recompiled and all was well again.

What issues are you experiencing with named? We had our own self-made issues but they were nothing to do with the Plesk upgrade.

Backup appears to working on the servers that we have installed it on. We had to fix something there but I don't know the details. We have our own disk-to-disk backup system so the client backup utility is a nice feature but hardly life or death stuff.

Well, I do know that our admins had to recompile apache after the upgrade due to strange "Apache is exiting!" errors. They studied the issues, recompiled and all was well again.

You can add a line to init.d/httpd to fix it (stop part), it appear some apache process keep stuck then wont let apache restarting..

What issues are you experiencing with named? We had our own self-made issues but they were nothing to do with the Plesk upgrade.
    Named for myself i dont have to change anyting, but as well as apache its almost the same prob..named got process stuck that prevent to restart it, modifing the "stop" script in init.d/named do the trick!

Backup appears to working on the servers that we have installed it on. We had to fix something there but I don't know the details. We have our own disk-to-disk backup system so the client backup utility is a nice feature but hardly life or death stuff.
    The backup work until some user use some script that created file whit "apache" user in place of the username itself... When this apear the backup just hang on this domain then all backup process stuck.. For sure if you just do a file backup whit tar or a home script you wont have this prob..

I cannot anymore do automat. backup
    until they fix this... We have to go then do a chown on the domain file when they stuck on some domain then start again.. Its a pain...