Thread: CAN-SPAM Act?

CAN-SPAM Act?

I just receive an unsolicited email, a.k.a. SPAM. What's interested is the not at the bottom of the email:

This mailing has been performed by Internet Marketing Solutions,
    1719 University Avenue, Bronx NY 10453 USA,
    in compliance with the "CAN-SPAM Act of 2003",
    approved and signed by the president of
    The United States of America on Dec. 16, 2003.
    For this reason, this email cannot be considered SPAM.
    This is the summary of what it is: http://www.wilsonweb.com/wmt9/canspam_comply.htm

What do you think about it?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

When I first saw that, my first reaction was 'Yay! something I can filter easily!'

When I first saw that, my first reaction was 'Yay! something I can filter easily!'
    Funny idea!

Dave, it seems that according to the law you have to tell them to stop sending you emails, which goes against the old logic that said "don't send the spammer an email; it'll just confirme that your addy works". I guess we're in a transition period and it will take a little bit of time to figure out what to do about all this.

I heard

an idea the other day that said that you should spam the spammers! Do you think that helps or just clog everything up?

Probably still confirms your email for the spammers. They dont stick to laws and regulations as far as im concerned.

Remember the good old taglines?
    "This is not an unsolicited email, you opted-in..... to be removed click here"...

Yeah... right

I wouldnt spam a spammer... could cause more problems. It's just annoying and from what I understand of that law is that it's a bit stupid.
    -- Matthew

Probably still confirms your email for the spammers.
    Very true!
    They dont stick to laws and regulations as far as im concerned.
    Spam means so many things to so many people... Now the CAN-SPAM comes up with a new official definition... Things get more and more complicated and yet no real solution seems to emerge IMHO.

What gets me is if people wouldn't fall for it, or click on the links in the e-mail, spam would probably stop on it's own. They have to be making money off of it or it wouldn't still be going on. So, my question is, who the heck still actually looks at their spam messages??? The only reason I look at mine is to find a phrase that I can filter out.
    Joe
    http://www.allin1websolutions.com
    All in 1 Web Solutions LLC

I look at scroll through mine becasue some messages are legit just tossed up some red flags on receiving them.
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation and Dedicated Servers