Question Is it safe to give away so much information?

Hi.
    Thinking about registering a account with paysystems, but in the last step of the registration I had to give the following information:

-Photocopy Picture ID (driver's license or passport)
    -Photocopy void check or bank statement (business or personal account). Make sure the document has your name on it.

If I send this application, they have the following thing from me.

1. My signature
    2. My drivers license with my sosial sec. number on it.
    3. My picture
    4. My bank statement

When someone have this vital information, they could do just about anything. They could claim to be me in several situations, and even make loans with this info.

Or is this just usual? am I paranoid?
    (Well, I have to be paranoid, because I've just read an article about that in the local newspaper, and the victim couldn't do anything to prevent it happening again and again).

I just find it unusual for them to request so much information if they're only going to send checks by air mail to me.

Or am I wrong?

In advance, thanks

Yes and how would they track a person down if someone decided to screw then for thousands of dollars.

Remeber that they are effectivly loaning you the money from a card transaction and thats it actually Credit for you. They will still have expsure to any card transaction long after you've been paid. If things go bad at least they know who to chase.

G

I would prefer to give that to a trusted company, like paysystems, to ensure that fraud signups are at a minimum. Less fraud, is always a good thing
    SkyLineHost.com
    ▓ ▓ Shared hosting that soars above the competition
    ▓ ▓ ▓ Based in Los Angeles. sales@skylinehost.com

You will always want to limit who you send that kind of information to... and always ask WHO will actually be handling it once it arrives and HOW it will be dealt with.

3rd Party Processors as well as true Merchant Account Processors limit their risk and exposure to fraud by requesting documents to help verify that YOU really -are- YOU.

This is one of the first lines of defense against losses due to merchant-perpetrated fraud, and the harder you make it to get past it - the more apt crooks will be to go somewhere else.

So I'm not surprised that they are asking for that information as it is one of the most important ways that they can protect their business.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

In general be careful who you give this information to, but if paysystems did these "bad" things with your info I think 1/4 of WHT would have been hit by now

Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

Yeah... The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Guess I'll have to trust them

Originally posted by IceKickz
    Yeah... The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Guess I'll have to trust them
    Welll... it might be offtopic, but... can somebody there trust Ikobo?

Is it safe to give my personal information to Ikobo?

And one more question: mypaysystems - who used them? Do I have to send them my info too?
    Regards,
    SAV

Originally posted by sav
    Welll... it might be offtopic, but... can somebody there trust Ikobo?

Is it safe to give my personal information to Ikobo?

And one more question: mypaysystems - who used them? Do I have to send them my info too?
    Might be better to start a new topic for the ikobo info or do a search for it.
    TradeViceroy

I sent all my personal information to Paysystems once, and then they promptly lost it all and expected me to send it all again.

Needless to see I wouldn't have trusted them handling my money if they can't even handle the sign up process without losing my confidential personal information...