Where do Alexa thumbnails come from...

Where does Alexa get these crazy thumbnail images?

They just updated their listing for one of my sites (here) and have a thumbnail for a civil war reenactment site of some sort. No site has been on my domain before I owned it, during the time I owned it, and it's never been redirected... I don't serve the traffic through my domain, nor is it the domain of one of my customers. The domain is also on its own IP, so it can't be from the IP. Weird...

A site I sold in early February, VisitorSource.com, is still listed on Alexa as badtattoos.com with a screenshot of their site (here).
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

I belive they Alexa Spider crawls all sites in the index thus capturing a screenshot.

Strange......

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see a link that says

Correct errors and omissions in this listing.

Click on that and then you will see another link called

Update Thumbnail Image of targetedvisitors.info

Click on that next..

You will then get the message
    Thank you, The thumbnail image for "targetedvisitors.info/" will be updated within 48 hours.

And your problem is fixed.
    Or you can just go here
    http://thumbnails.alexa.com/update_thumbnail

As for where they get the initial thumbnails I am guessing your site somehow got merged with another site which Alexa's little spider thought had the same content

Question:
    Why is another site listed as the owner of my site?
    Contact Info, Pictures, and Descriptions

When Alexa crawls the Web, it merges together sites which we think have the same content. When we merge two or more sites, we combine their traffic to form one ranking and list them under the domain with the most traffic. With tens of millions of domains on the Internet, our automated procedures for determining which hosts are serving the same content may be incorrect and/or out-of-date.

If your site has been merged with another site incorrectly, please contact our editorial staff at [email protected]. Alexa editors will not answer other customer service questions.
    http://pages.alexa.com/exec/faqsidos....html?index=26
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Oh, I know about that and already did it. You should know from HTTPTalk that I never miss the details.

I was wondering if anyone knew how they get all these bad thumbnails so often.

that 'update thumbnail' link never works, tried it about 10 times over a 1 year period, yet it still shows the same old thumbnail

I think that the whole concept that Alexa runs by is pointless, the stats don't mean anything

Weird, Mine updated before the 48 hours that it said it would.
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

None of my sites ever had a thumnail until I told Alexa to take one. *shrug*

I remember someone saying that if you click the "E-mail a friend about this site" that it will create a thumbnail.

Perhaps it will update it too?
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

I clicked the update thumbnail link about 10 times yesterday, and it updated today. That must be key

My graph aint that bad either. I can never keep it steady, but it seems to be a regular fluctuation between 40,000 and 60,000 over the past 2.5 months.