Thread: MediaTemple

MediaTemple

Hello everyone,

I've done a search on WHT and didn't come up with any negative comments about MediaTemple (www.mediatemple.com) and many positive comments. However, before I do signup, does anyone have any comments about them? How are they in terms of support, specifically response time, reliability, etc? Also, is their control panel good?

All comments greatly appreciated.

Max
    Nokhrin - http://www.nokhrin.com/
    ~ e-commerce application development

Re: MediaTemple

Originally posted by mno
    Also, is their control panel good?
    It looks like a customised version of Ensim. They did a good job on the skin. I'd say it's pretty good.

Re: Re: MediaTemple

Originally posted by jasonkw
    It looks like a customised version of Ensim. They did a good job on the skin. I'd say it's pretty good.
    Ah, thanks. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to control panels, not being into hosting.

Must admit that I was more than a little bit disappointed by their 2-year contract in order to get the $9.95 / month price listed. This is the first time I've seen a contract for longer than 1 year. The 1 year contract is $13.95 / month or something +/- $1 / month.

They have a website to die for too.
    --

They host a *lot* of designers (http://k10k.net/ is probably their best know designer site), so that's why they have such an excellent design. They know their market
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

I have heard very good things about them and their support as well. Support is 24/7 as a friend who was hosted with them told me. He called them at about 2am PST and they answered (they're based in Los Angeles area) and helped him.

Also worth mentioning...they own and operate their own data center. They do not colocate at another facility, they have their own.

Best,
    Waylon

They are one of our hosts too. We have 100% up time and instant response the one time we have contacted them. We have only been there 4 months, but so far everything is looking extremely good.

Yeah...they're network and customer service is top-notch. They're a bit more expensive than most hosts (requires 2-year term for $9.95 pricing) but it's definitely worth it.

i was with them almost two years ago for a personal site and had to call them a couple times and they were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. I have nothing but great things to say about them as I was with them for a year and left on very good terms. They also host teamphotoshop.com and all their sites. Top notch reliability and speed.

Personally they operate a good business, although I would never use them because of their control panel (too hard to figuar out :p).

Originally posted by FatalSw1tch
    Personally they operate a good business, although I would never use them because of their control panel (too hard to figuar out :p).
    I dabbled with my friend's one time, and it was very easy to use...I don't know what the problem you had with it was. Their control panel is just Ensim Pro with a well-designed skin.

Regards,
    Waylon

one of the guys that does skins also works for teamphotoshop.com, which also does vbskinz.com

Well thats from my understanding of it. not compltely sure, but i did see his credits on some of the pages, it looks pretty awesome skin wise though.

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

Originally posted by Velostream
    I dabbled with my friend's one time, and it was very easy to use...I don't know what the problem you had with it was. Their control panel is just Ensim Pro with a well-designed skin.

Regards,
    Waylon
    You must not know how to read, it was a joke..... hence the

Originally posted by FatalSw1tch
    You must not know how to read, it was a joke..... hence the
    I misread your post, but it sounded serious to me. I don't know why you had to point that out by making an insult...

Regards,
    Waylon

I have been with MediaTemple for 4 days, so far I have had downtime twice. The first time it was only about 30 minutes. I sent a e-mail and they called not to long after to explain that it was a electrical problem and soem of their servers went offline. Now i'm down again, who knows why. The control panel is annoying, being used to cPanel, but it works. I've been with 6 hosts and whenever I try to upload via FTP to mt it acts weird, but it is workable. I'm hoping to see an improvement on uptime, but it seems fast and the service seems decent as of now.

Edit: The second downtime lasted only 10 minutes from what I saw, and I didn't send an e-mail so I don't know why they ad downtime.

Their site and control panel both look great.

Originally posted by markjut
    Their site and control panel both look great.
    I believe they started off as a design company, and then grew into webhosting a while back. Don't take my word for it but I think that's the case. I recall them winning some Macromedia award or other back in the day with a really cool Flash site. It was some kind of cartoonish tree or something, it was awesome :-).

It's Ensim PRO 3.5. Great looking site.
    Sid Shroff
    Senior Enterprise Web Administrator
    IIS, .NET, MS SQL
    SidShroff.com