2Checkout.com question

I've been looking around for a good 3rd party billing company, and have been researching 2checkout.com for the past hour or so. I've come across several occurrences of people have severe problems with this company and am just wondering what everyone's though on 2checkout.com is. Are they worth me buying an account at, or should I go with authorize.net, or do you know of a place better? I looked at VeriSign but they are asking far too much money. Thanks for any information you can provide me.

- Regards, Devon Lawler

EDIT: Also sorry I just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum, mods please just move this for me. Sorry about the mistake.
    - Devon
    Last edited by DevonL; 03-20-2004 at 02:31 PM.
    In the works with a new startup

Moved to E-Commerce forum...

2CO seems to have it's good times and bad times. Support had been better for awhile but has slid the past month or so. We had an issue with double billings that they ignored so I just refunded the one charge we did get credit for so the customer wouldn't have to wait.

We switched to our own merchant account configured w/authorize.net and have been very happy with that. I would recommend that route over a third party company.

Matt, alright sounds good. Thanks for the information. It was between 2checkout.com and authorize.net for me and I'm now leaning more towards authorize.net

You should also realise that 2checkout has many happy customers, happy customers have no reason to post negative comments in a forum. Merchant providers are not able to please everyone.

Hi,

I live in Korea, come from England and want to move to Malta, I naively thought that as credit cards such as Visa are an international commodity that getting a merchant account would be easy too. In my situation it's near impossible, I can't open one in Korea or the UK because of my situation, so 2Checkout.com is an absolute Godsend after I'd almost given up on accepting credit cards. The rates are quite high, but I'm just glad of the 95% funds I will get.

That said I haven't actually signed up yet, but I will soon and feeling good about it.

Cheers,

Jeremy

The rates are quite high, but I'm just glad of the 95% funds I will get.
    You should also note that there a reserve held for 90 days, 5% I believe. This reserve can also increase if a merchant experiences chargebacks.

Originally posted by pjs
    You should also realise that 2checkout has many happy customers, happy customers have no reason to post negative comments in a forum. Merchant providers are not able to please everyone.
    Of course happy customers have no reason to post negative comments...they are happy.

Happy customers do have a reason to post happy comments in a forum though. Perhaps you could share why you are happy. That would help the user make his decision based on users that have had both negative and positive experiences. I was happy with them at one time...but sadly that changed

Yeah pjs if you could tell me why you like them, that'd help

Also for those of you not so happy with them, who would you suggest me going with? I want something cheap, but reliable, with good support.. I've heard good things about authorize.net so I'm thinking about going with them after doing some more research on 2checkout.com

EDIT: Also I'm based out of the United States, so yeah.

Of course happy customers have no reason to post negative comments...they are happy.
    I was simply pointing out that happy customers do not post their positive experiences as often as unhappy customers. Customers simply want to their merchant facilities to work, so they can concentrate on more important things (ie support).

I have had good experiences with 2checkout so far, probably because we also conduct our own due diligence on orders.

2checkout

It's been my experience that negative comments often come from those that sign up for their service and never really pay too much attention. It's automated, no automatic. There is a certain amount of work that has to go into making it work.

Then there's the point already made...people will not often go out of their way to surf the net trying to post positive things about you, they figure that's what you should be doing in the first place, but do something bad and they will devote time and energy to making sure everyone knows. I'd look at how many customers a company has compared to how many complaints and what the BBB has to say about them.

I personally share both good and bad experiences with all companies I deal with. That's only fair.

But in regards to the specific question that people seem to be avoiding here, if you use them, WHY do you like or dislike them? That is what the thread starter asked.

What do they do specifically that you like or dislike? Do they respond quickly to support tickets? Is their processing always available or does it experience downtime? Are payments made on time and in full?

As for where the negative comments come from, they are also often made by people who have had long standing relations with a company for which something changed or was not dealt with appropriatley. When a companies signature is set to automatically insert:

"I apologize for the delay in our response to your inquiry"

There is an obviously an issue. This is not a recent concern. They had gotten much better support wise for several months. I don't know what happened, but it has slowed to a crawl again.