Thread: Req For Hosting

Req For Hosting

Hello,

What would you recommend to someone if they wanted to start there own web hosting?

Would a 764k bps connection be fast enough to host 200gb a month?

I can get 764k bps for $130, do you think I could atleast break even if I offer web hosting?

Thank you

(Just kind of wondering)

EDIT:

Oh and why or why not, would you think 764k connection would not be fast enough.

More or less, I would do this as a hobby, as I free time, and I am on my computer when I do have free time, why not just help contibute to the internet community?
    Last edited by biglonstud; 03-23-2004 at 08:53 PM.

you could get a much faster connection with a shared host for less than that.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

In my current location, it costs way to much, for any connection with more than a 800k bps.

Thanks

But I could look into that.

just get a shared account, much easier and faster

Sorry the price was off a bit, mean $169.95.

Another reason, why I would want to get a connection good, is so I can get something better than a 56k bps connection.

And I think I would enjoy it as a hobby.

Originally posted by biglonstud
    Sorry the price was off a bit, mean $169.95.

Another reason, why I would want to get a connection good, is so I can get something better than a 56k bps connection.

And I think I would enjoy it as a hobby.
    hosting clients on inhouse facilities is a lot of responsibility. You would need to patch servers, run servers, have UPS and gas backup, secure the room to prevent robbery.

These are just some of the things you would need to do if you wanted to offer good service to your customers

all kidding aside your best bet is with a large datacenter and one of their resellers getting you some shared hosting.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.

1mbit is somewhere around 360 gigs.
    OmegaSphere - http://www.omegasphere.net/
    Vancouver co-location, Managed Services, Shared Hosting, SSL Certificates, Domain Names
    Your IT Experts - Located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada
    604-618-0543 - 866-618-0543 - [email protected]

more like 300-320

Here is also one reason I would want to host. I am going to get High speed internet. I just thought, why not pay alittle more, and offer hosting. Then people would get decent hosting, I would have a fun hobby, and I would get High Speed Internet.

Ok, so I would get roughly 300-360 gigs.

Lol, I could offer 1 cent hosting.(Ive thought about doing it, kind of like a joke, but I would realy offer it.)
    ---------------------------------------------

1 cent hosting
    MySQL
    PHP
    500k Disk Space
    5mb Bandwidth

---------------------------------------------
    Lol, I could offer that, just for kicks(I have never seen the price so low for hosting, nor such poor hosting) But thats just an Idea.

Thanks!

Now, what would be some good plans, if I paid $179 for 1m bps,(wireless) and 40gb Diskspace, that can easily, and cheaply upgraded to 160gb?

That is, if, anyone would like to point out some good ideas, and mabey plans, for my connection, and Diskspace.

Thanks Alot all of you have helped in some way.

Thank you

you would lose money on that merchants charge at least 25 cents per transaction.

Lol, ya mabey I could take a check? lol, but who would mail(envolope and stamp aprox price 40 cents) a check(couple cents there) for 1 cent?

Or mabey they can do something else... I dont know, like mail me a peny, lol. It would not be worth the paper, or stamp.

Mabey I could have it where you would have to get it yearly, 10 cents a year, with a setup of 25 cents? You could realy set up thosands of accounts like that on a 500k bps connection...

But who would pay 1 cent a month for 500k Disk Space, and 5mb Bandwidth?
    Last edited by biglonstud; 03-24-2004 at 02:08 AM.

if you're *thinking* about hosting this on the end of your dsl line, remeber a few things ...
    1) most people will advise you *not* to do it - listen to them
    2) various different dsl services have differing upstream/downstream sppeds - for example it is common in the uk to have 1Mbs/down. 256kbs up
    3) dsl tends to be contended , as much as 100:1 in case - so *really* you may only have 1/100th of than bandwidth
    4) ip addresses are not generally just dished out to dsl customers - are you sure that you can handle the first time someone *needs* a fixed ip for an ssl certificate
    5) as a residential customer, your provider may not actually allow under their terms and conditions, you to run servers or a business from the inside end of your line
    6) performance will be [email protected]
    7) the days of people *not* discovering you'r a bedroom host and shunning you are *hopefully* long gone
    8) are you going to stay in 24/7 making sure the server, power, dsl line etc are up ?

etc
    etc etc

to provide a half decent hosting service you need a decent transit supplier, preferably several. You dont get that on the end of a dsl line.

by all means offer a friend free "best-efforts" hosting, but running a "business" ... i wouldn't recommend it.

a quick trawl through some radius logs and stuff as an adsl supplier shows that even the very our heaviest user whose on 1:1 2mb uncontended circuit, 2mb down, 400kb up, have not transfer more than 340Gb/ data month, and that line costs them appx $900/month, on a simple data-based pricing its cheaper to rent space and buy transit at a datacentre
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I would get a wireless connection, that is from goldrush.com .
    The plan says you can Host web sites, I believe its a 1mb upload, and a 1mb download.

Copy of plans:

1M Bandwidth Number 4, I have already set up a server before.

I know of a way how to get around that IP Adress problem, I have done it before on a server I have perviously set up for myself(just to host my old site).

Also in to awnser
    Home Ability to Host(NAT) $179.95

So they advertise that you can host, its just about $30 more than a basic home(non hosting) plan.

So its designed to have people host sites.(mabey only one? Lol)

And yes, here in the US same thing with dsl, 1mb download(or it may be 500k), and 256kb upload.

But I am not get DSL(unless I wont host).

"8) are you going to stay in 24/7 making sure the server, power, dsl line etc are up ?"

I dont stay in 24/7 what kind of life would that be, I know a couple people that had there own server, they wernet there 24/7. On second thought, I think they were.

I am home all the time, and I am on the computer about 5hours/7days a week anyways.

Also, this is not something I just thought up. I have thought about it for the last year+ and in the last week, I thought I would come here, and find out more more about Web Hosting.

I may not ever web host, I am kind of curious, if I could do it if I had a 100gb Disk Space and a 1mb connection. Just for starters.

But more or less, I would just like to know the bear minium that I would need to host, I may not ever host to many sites, just mabey some local sites for people I know.

Oh and here is a quick plan of what kind of compatition I would have:

Windows 2000/IIS or Linux/Apache web servers
    50MB of storage space for a web site
    2GB traffic per month
    ASP.NET, ASP, MSSQL, Perl/CGI, PHP4/MySQL support
    All accounts have Frontpage extensions
    Real Media/Windows Media streaming
    Virus and spam email protection
    Webmail (access your email from our website)
    5 POP mailboxes ($1 per extra)
    Unlimited email aliases
    Free Secure Transactions (SSL)
    Up to 5 domain names (4 pointers, 1 hosted)
    $10.00 for customers with Internet service through Goldrush
    $19.95 for customers without Internet service through Goldrush
    Multiple account discounts available

So, there, now you know, must of the Specs, and stuff about the connection.

Thank you all so much! You all have helped tons.

I am not getting DSL for hosting, I already knew that would not be good, unless I was to host only my own site on it.

Later

Please ignore my previous post, as it has many mistakes(This one probably does too, but its a revised version).

I would get a wireless connection, that is from goldrush.com .
    The plan says you can Host web sites, I believe its a 1mb upload, and a 1mb download. But I am slightly confused with the contract that kind of contradicts the plan, I would have to look more into it.

Copy of plans:
    Home Ability to Host(NAT) $179.95
    1M Bandwidth

I know of a way how to get around that IP Adress problem, I have done it before on a server I have perviously set up for myself(just to host my old site).

So they advertise that you can host sites, its just about $30 more than a basic home(non hosting) plan.

So its designed to have people host sites.(mabey only one? Lol)

And yes, here in the US same deal with dsl, 1mb download(or it may be 500k), and 256kb upload.

But I am not going get DSL(unless I wont host a site).

"8) are you going to stay in 24/7 making sure the server, power, dsl line etc are up ?"

I probably would not be home 24/7.

But, I am on the computer about 2-5hours/7days a week though.

Also, this is not something I just thought up. I have thought about it for the last year+ and in the last week, I thought I would come here, and find out more more about Web Hosting.

I may not ever web host anything. I am mostly just curious, if I could do it if I had a 100gb Disk Space and a 1mb connection(for a hobby) . Just for starters.

Oh and here is a quick plan of what kind of competition I would have:

Windows 2000/IIS or Linux/Apache web servers
    50MB of storage space for a web site
    2GB traffic per month
    ASP.NET, ASP, MSSQL, Perl/CGI, PHP4/MySQL support
    All accounts have Frontpage extensions
    Real Media/Windows Media streaming
    Virus and spam email protection
    Webmail (access your email from our website)
    5 POP mailboxes ($1 per extra)
    Unlimited email aliases
    Free Secure Transactions (SSL)
    Up to 5 domain names (4 pointers, 1 hosted)
    $10.00 for customers with Internet service through Goldrush
    $19.95 for customers without Internet service through Goldrush
    Multiple account discounts available

So, there, now you know some more stuff of what I was thinking of doing.

Thank you all so much! You all have helped tons.

I am not getting DSL for hosting, I already knew that would not be good, unless I was to host only my own site.

Thanks
    Later

Oh, and I would have a couple friend help to. If that would count towards anything.

And, I may just get a site, and now host anything, I am more or less, just curious, what you would think of a small web host that has 1mb connection, 100gb Diskspace.

Thanks

764k cannot feasably achieve 200GB unless it is maxed out 24/7, and even thats pushing it (not to mention your connection will be heavily lagged at that point).

So, if I got a 1m bps connection, could I split it 50/50. 100gb of bandwidth for sites, 500k bps for myself.

I also may only offer this to people I know.

Thanks

Later

Reseller accounts can be attained for about $1/GB for bandwidth, and the same for space. Everything is taken care of, and it's point-and-click from there. As well as being upgradable, it's definitely a more feasible solution than what you're proposing. I would definitely take others' advice and consider it more thoroughly.

So, if I got a 1m bps connection, could I split it 50/50. 100gb of bandwidth for sites, 500k bps for myself.
    *please* stop confusing data-transfer with bandwidth they're *NOT* the same thing ....

yes you could take your 1Mb/s connection into your router, setup the NAT, pass it onto a decent switch and do rate limiting on the switch to two servers (or 2 NICs on 1 server - but not advised) @ 500kbs each.

why 2 servers not 1 - you *really* want to have to explain to a client/frined that sorry, all theri mail went down a blackhole and their site was offline, beacase you were in the middle of a counter-strike game and it crashed ?

this all going on a windoze2k/xp box ? you do realise that without pay hefty m$ licences for server versions of the o/s you can host more than 1 site ?

i dont think any amount of explaining *why* it's such a bad idea s going to put you off doing this, so i'll just wish you luck...
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Lol, actualy, you guys pretty much scared me off from doing web hosting, unless it is reselling.

Thanks alot for all of your help, I wont host from any of my own computers, as you have pointed out that would not work.(or it would would not be worth it)

Thanks, Mabey I will consider reselling, if I even dare to do any hosting at all.

Thanks alot! You guys awneserd I think all of my questions. Thanks

Later

I trust you guys. At least with webhosting.