Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Go to college or die.

Adapted from my blog site, just thought it should be posted here.

Let me preface this by mentioning that I'm currently a sophomore in a private high school. I get average grades, am in some high classes, some low classes. I'd like to think of myself as an average high school student, at least in terms of education position.

The pressure put on today's high school student is something that would utterly shock most adults, if they had any idea what was going on. It's no wonder that stress rates among teens are now the highest ever. The question is, of course, why is this going on? What needs to change here? In this post, I'll attempt to adress both of those questions, albeit only to the best of my abilities.

First, the ever pressing issue for high school students: College. From the way that college counselers and (some) teachers talk, you'd think that the whole of High School is just a giant preface for college. Perhaps so, but what happened to actually using High School to... learn? Is that such a foreign idea? Nowadays it's all about the grades, classes, and what can get you into college, at least from an administrator's point of view. Of course, therein lies yet another contradiction. While the colleges and HS administrators all talk about grades mattering most, some teachers seem to think the opposite way. They say things like: "The grades don't matter, as long as you know the material", or the ever popular "So what does that one extra point you want matter?". The truth is that in today's competitive world to get into a good college, just about every point counts. From the very first day that I as a freshman walked into my high school, we recieved speeches about college. College college college, all day long. Every day I pray to god that I get better grades, so that I can go to college. It's been drilled into our heads for as long as I can remember. Perhaps it's not that bad. I agree that in this day and age, getting into college is as tough as can be. I'm not saying that the system will be able to change. I�m just saying that this is a major cause for stress among teens. Can it change? I highly doubt it.

I'll continue this at a later date.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Yup i agree with you.
    Im also in highschool, and it so competitive, i mean im trying really hard, and i feel like i should do more because of all those "college" lectures.
    I have around a 97 average, winner of science fairs and the like,
    Volleyball team, Various clubs, community service, national honor roll winner, summer program at some college, another program at another college, lots of crap, and this is in SI TECH
    Which is a respected high school.

I can completely relate to you xshare...

I can relate as well, it seems like all the work we do is for a grade, learning isn't even important anymore.

Uh huh, or all we do is study for the state wide tests that make the school look good.

And to think that in my country things are rapidly moving to this model too... We used to have exams to get into college/university. Grades didn't matter at all. If you did well at the admission exam, you got in. If not... You waited for the next year's exam.
    But you had to know stuff for that exam...
    And with paid tuition... virtually anyone can go to college here. Even the laziest highshcool students. All they need is a baccalaureate and the money. And they become medics or engineers etc. without knowing virtually anything.

I know people who study for 12 hours on weekends.... Hell, just about all of the AP class does that. It's amazing how stressed teens are, and adults don't seem to mind.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

Well, let me tell you, that college isn't much different from high school, at least for me. I still fall asleep in class, don't study, shirk my homework, and walk away with a B average....

High school is good preparation for college. Work hard in high school and you'll be ready for college. We wouldn't want you to be a college dropout now ;-) Kanye West - through the wire, woo woo

I used to think school was so stressful spending tuns of time on homework and projects that had insane deadlines but then when I graduated from high school and then college I was introduced to the real world. All I wanted to do was go back to school.

I still think the stresses found in the competitive job market are much higher then in school. The stress you get in school is to prepare you for what is to come and if you can handle that stress you’re going to do great in real life.

That’s my look on it any way. Maybe it’s the grass is always greener syndrome.
    All I ever wanted was an honest weeks pay for an honest days work!

I, in all and complete honesty, did not learn a single thing throughout high school.

College seems to be more aimed at teaching you how to think, rather than teaching you material you'd actually use in a "real world" job.

High school is relatively unimportant, too, despite what people think. It's only important if you want to make it important -- if it really matters to you that you get in the absolutely best college, then yeah, you have to do well. If you don't mind if you go to the absolutely best school you can still get average grades (and a decent SAT/ACT score) and get in.

IE: For CS at UIUC (one of the top CS schools) based off an ACT of around 30 you need to be in the top ~12% of your school. Neither of these are very difficult to do. And if you can't do that well you probably wouldn't succeed at the school anyway, especially since most grades are based not on your performance, but your performance in relation to the rest of your peers.

People seem to be under some false impression grades and school choice are the most important things to get a good job (and a good paying job) and it's so blatantly not true it's funny.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

I'm in private highschool as well- It is a real joke. My teachers are jokes, (In my own opinion, for the most part, teachers are the kind of people who cant get a job elsewhere). Do you know how easy it is to become a teacher. Although I do take Latin, which is the only class I learn in and actually enjoy, and my teacher does it because that is his favorite thing to do, translate classics. But you know what- yeah there is stress, ok, which prepares us for the "real world". Too much stress can kill someone, and if you have that much stress, you CHANGE what you are doing, or where you work. Everyone has their ups and downs. So we spend 4 years in highschool to help us deal with stress. Well you know what, you dont need "highschool" to teach you stress. You can get stress in many areas of your life. For me atleast, I whish I could go to a highschool to learn art, philosophy, language (latin and greek), computer science, etc. enough of these bull**** classes.

CEO Pixabit, Inc.

High school is more like raw memorization than learning.

Quote Originally Posted by PIXABIT
    teachers are the kind of people who cant get a job elsewhere
    I don't know where you go to school, but a few of my friends whom I went to school with are now teachers themselves and I seriously admire them. I know for a fact that one of them (a primary school teacher - elementary school, whatever) could get a job practically anywhere, including in an orchestra if he so desired as he's a trained violinist.

There's a saying which you paraphrased: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach". Maybe that phrase still has some meaning where you are in the world, but here it seems to be having less of an impact - so much so it was used by the UK government on one of their recruitment campaigns: "Those who can, teach".

Quote Originally Posted by PIXABIT
    Do you know how easy it is to become a teacher
    In the UK it requires a degree, followed by a post-graduate training course in either primary or secondary education to teach. That course is the most intensive period of learning I have ever seen. How do I know so much about it? Because I wenr through it myself! Except in the end, I decided teaching wasn't for me.
    Kinkamono Internet Services - The Internet. Done Right.
    Dive In...

Well I can say a lot of stress is self induced though. Maybe I was lucky or something, but I never felt stress in high school. I mean I always just went with the flow. School wasn't hard for me I guess. I am now in college and it still is just same ole stuff different day.

In life you are always preparing for the next step. Middle School-high school, high school-college, college-job, job-retirement,retirement-death. Always looking for the next step and not realizing what you have in front of you. It is a big problem. People always think the next step will be a little better. Why can't now be excellent.

Originally posted by ToaD
    High school is more like raw memorization than learning.
    I agree with that 110%
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

When I was in highschool I did poorly for 2 out of the 4 years and I got several acceptance letters when I when I applied for colleges. I got into the college I really wanted to go to, and here I am now on my way. Don't let them stress you out too much.

listen kids, get used to it. this isn't a bong party, it only gets worse after high school. you better learn to deal with the stress because it's going to grow every year after school. at least in HS i had no chance of having my education outsourced to India.
    jubba joo!

Originally posted by Jasber
    I agree with that 110%
    then apparently you need more time in high school. I recommend remedial math.
    jubba joo!

you complain about high school now, but many will look back and laugh at all the stupid things you did. then you will be in college and complain about all the work, but then look back and laugh at all the stupid things you did between school work.

and i disagree that high school is all memorization. In Asian it is 98% memorization, in America you have a lot more dissent and opinions on what is the 'truth'. And many teachers try push children to think for themselves.

The thing is most kids do not want to think. gives them a headache...
    Alvin

Being a student undoubtedly has its stresses, however there are far more stressful situations to be experienced in the workplace and in many occupations once actually completing school.

Trying to get that executive position at a top rated firm will be just as tough as getting into a reputable college or university. Not to mention simply managing to keep your home, raising a family and getting all of your bills paid.

The world is and always has been extremely competitive, but it's things like pursuing an educating and anything else to help advance your career and life experiences that will help you get through it all and stand out.

So although those senior high school years and time spent at a university or college can be tough, they will be highly beneficial to you in the end and if anything will only help prepare you for those even more stressful times that are truly bound to come.

Overall it's really all about managing stress and if you can adjusting your attitude or the environment around you to help relieve yourself of it.

It takes hard work to actually get somewhere in life.

Originally posted by Fujiwara Takumi
    then apparently you need more time in high school. I recommend remedial math.
    My point was the focus of school has shifted from learning, to getting good grades.

Are they the same thing? Can they be the same thing?

I don't know, but right now, they are different.

I'm not sure how old you are, or how long you've been out of high school (or even if you are), but I've been to a few high schools (3 to be exact) and it's the same situation at each.

Teachers cater to standardized tests and things like "No Child Left Behind." (Which I don't think we should get started on..)

It's not their fault, they have to. If they don't, then the school looses money.

That was my point, and perhaps I should say I agree 100%, then mabye I wouldn't have to clarify .

Edit: I missed your first post, ok, you are out of high school; and I do find it quite amusing that you automatically associate young people with bong parties
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

Teenagers are all a bunch of lounge abouts. Kids today bla bla bla

get your act together, life is measured in metrics and scores...it will be this way till you die. Dont want it to be this way? better invent something valuable so you can live in your own society.
    jubba joo!

I'm not even sure that deserves a response.

You do realize that you're foolishly grouping millions of people together because they happen to be in the same age group...please.

There are hard working teenagers, just like there are "lounge about" adults.

My whole point was that schools are measured by "metrics and scores"

If that's what you want school to be, then fine, say that. But if you want it to be about learning (perhaps I'm nieve when I say this?), then it's not working.

Originally posted by Jasber
    I'm not even sure that deserves a response.

You do realize that you're foolishly grouping millions of people together because they happen to be in the same age group...please.

There are hard working teenagers, just like there are "lounge about" adults.

My whole point was that schools are measured by "metrics and scores"

If that's what you want school to be, then fine, say that. But if you want it to be about learning (perhaps I'm nieve when I say this?), then it's not working.
    whether you realize this or not, life is measured in scoring. You will see this better when you're older. 90% of the world lives under this system. Like i said, dont like it? figure out a way to think sideways and become the 10%.

p.s. lounge abouts / bla bla was really meant as tongue in cheek. You make it sound like i have no right to talk since ive never been part of that group. Like i said, you will understand when you pass the age...
    jubba joo!

I understand what your trying to say, but I think your missing what I am trying to say (correct me if I'm wrong).

I understand that life is about scoring, and that there should be competition in school to prepare kids for life. What I'm trying to say, is that it has gone so far away from what school was meant to be in the first place (learning!) - that it has turned into a letter on a piece of paper, instead of learning the curriculum.

Also, how old is "older?"

22 years old, older?
    Birthday May 5th, 1981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast