Users per machine question

Is there a formula to calculate how many users a dedicated server can hold?

Say I was looking to 1GB of disk space and 25GB of transfer each month for a specific user. I am looking to get as many users per server as I can. Say around 150 if that is possible.

What kind of machine am I gonna need? Dual? Just a plain Xeon?
    People say nothing is impossible, yet I do nothing all day.

There is no hard and fast formula for that. If you are looking not to oversell and host the limit of 150 clients on the machine then you should look at

1gb disk space x 150 = 150gb hdd
    25gb transfer x 150 = 3,750 gb = 3.75tb of transfer

Of course then you might come to the conclusion that not all your customers are going to use that much resources as provided, some will but probably not all so you need to use your magic calculator to work your formula.

As for the CPU type (Dual or Single CPU) would depend on the load your clients' site would produce. If it is going to just be plain html with very little dynamic contents then you can go with a single CPU but if they are going to host database and dynamic contents then the dual Xeon would do a better trick.

Like I say, there is no available formula in how much the server can hold, however it may be a good idea to ensure that you make sufficient money when the server is filled without overselling then each time you add an additional customer, just monitor the overall bandwidth and disk usage and if your server can accomodate more than just add more and monitor.

The key is to monitor your server to ensure that everything remains in the acceptable range but of course at the same time be prepared to live up to your guarantees. If you promise 1gb and 25gb transfer and if all your customers used that much, you would be bounded to provide that much without booting them off your server. Also have a reserve cash pool somewhere just in case the worst happened. - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I agree with eddy here. Don't approach it from the standpoint of making customers fit into your ideal business model. Approach it from the standpoint of providing the customer with what they need to grow and charge them a fair price for it. This approach will earn you respect admiration and loyalty from your customers. We rarely advertise but our current customers highly recommend us to their friends/colleagues. This is because we put the customers needs first.

Additionally you can always practice load balancing. Load servers with sites that vary in resource/bandwidth consumption. This will allow you to maximize the server's potential without busting a braincell trying to figure out how many customers you can fit onto the box. Eg: There is little or no impact in adding a reseller with 100 domains that primarily needs redundant DNS to a server running at 75% capacity. However adding this same reseller to the same server running at 75% capacity knowing this server will be the resellers primary DNS and or is expected to pull 1-200GB transfer and unknown amounts of cpu resources would not be a smart move.

The fair policy will be a VDS/VPS - but even the UML solution costs maintenance. With so many clients, one should get also a backup drive with a different geolocation, as well as technical space on the main drive to run the services and maintain logs. Thus 150x1G makes one 200 G HD and one 40 G backup, if using the WHM remote backup feature which provides a pretty good compression rate.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price