Question Whose backup's responsibility ?

I have one so called "reseller account" with a company that has its servers in theplanet.com.
    I've setup my domains there and have not a real "customer" yet.

I was wondering, when this happens, whose backup responsible about all domains data ?
    I think my hosting provider has weekly backups.
    The question is, in this situation, as a reseller, should I depend on my hosting backup as the backup solution ?
    Or am I supposed to perform additional backups to another server, with the consecuent expense in bandwitdh?

I would like to hear what is the most common practice for this.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Whose backup's responsibility ?

Originally posted by fischermx
    I have one so called "reseller account" with a company that has its servers in theplanet.com.
    I've setup my domains there and have not a real "customer" yet.

I was wondering, when this happens, whose backup responsible about all domains data ?
    I think my hosting provider has weekly backups.
    The question is, in this situation, as a reseller, should I depend on my hosting backup as the backup solution ?
    Or am I supposed to perform additional backups to another server, with the consecuent expense in bandwitdh?
    Common practise is for the company to have some sort of backup solution, whether it's full backup nightly, crucial data nightly, or partial backup's weekly/nightly.

However, your account provider should make this very clear on their website (normally found in FAQ section in larger detail). If they do not, then I would suggest you;

First: contact them and ask them outright for what backup methods they use, and how fail-safe they are.
    Secondly: If the answer to the first one in unfavourable/unanswered, then either bring in your own backup solution, or find a company that does offer it, so you're not burdened with that task.

Simon

If you look in your control panel you maybe able to perform backups or just contact your host and ask them!

Re: Whose backup's responsibility ?

Question to ask is, who will be responsible if the backup is corrupt or not useable? The noc? the reseller company? Well, they most likely have a line in their TOS that exempts them from responsibility.

So now, you have to ask, are backups your responsibility? Most hosts do make backups, but they don't guarantee the integrity of the backups. So, how liable will you be if it goes wrong? If yes, then I'd suggest you make your own as well. If no and the host provides them, then I'd go for that.

It's all about acceptable risk and liability.
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx