Thread: When to panic?

When to panic?

Hi all. Please excuse me if this has been posted before! I just wanted to ask all you pros out there when you should start worrying about your web host / designer. I will not mention names, as I am trying to look at this positively. This is my dilemma. Over 6 months ago I saw someone put in a great review with a company who built websites, registered your domain, etc, etc. So after 6 months of keeping an eye on the sight I figured it was worth me getting my own site. Everything has been great for 2 months. I guess 5 days ago I found my site to be down. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Today I go on to find my site is still down, the actual host site is down, and the email address to contact them as well. I called the person but have not heard back (message recording).

So when should I start worrying???? I really loved my site, and I just get this "feeling" it is gone for good. Any advice is appreciated!

Well doesn't sound too good. If you can't get to your site and thiers then they might have a provider problem that they are trying to work out, or they havn't paid the bill

Hope you have a hardbackup of your site

Jon
    Need a Genius to host your site?
    www.madgenius.com

Is it just one server? Can you ping others in the same datacenter?

It certainly does not look good.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Re: When to panic?

Originally posted by sandals

I really loved my site, and I just get this "feeling" it is gone for good.
    You have a backup of your site, though, right? If not, I'd request that as soon as they do come back up. Especially in light of this.

Regards,
    Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

Perhaps the server has crashed or as already mentioned it could be an unpaid bill. Have you contacted the company?

I would have to say that I'd be worried as well, especially if you haven't heard any communication out of them so far.
    Matt Walters
    http://mattwalters.net/ - Weblog

Five days down with no contact is really a bad sign. I would press the telephone contact, also check the WHOIS of their domain and see if you can find an alternate contact number. In the event that they have completely disappeared, you'll most likely have to start over with another company. Hopefully you have enough of your site backed up so you can do that...

Best of luck....

i think i know who it is, but would you mind telling us anyways?

no one else wants to be burned!
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Yeah, you should have a backup of the site, because you never know when the server will go down or as ZeeC said, maybe they didn't pay the bill.
    Golden Globe Hosting | It's Time To Get Online.
    www.goldenglobehosting.com
    info@goldenglobehosting.com

sorry guys

I have NO CLUE as to how to back up a website. I am definately website illiterate! I will post the company namee if they do not respond my the end of the week. I have only phoned them as of today. I did look them up on who is thing. I do have his address, and OTHER email address which I sent an email through. This will really suck if I have to re-do the whole thing again! I appreciate your comments!

Well, I would wait a little more give it 72hours, than if there is no reponse than, Make your CC give a Charge Back, REASON- They were unable to provide me with full service...

I would surely look else where for hosting. Things happen from time to time, but not being able to get any type of support at all is a bad sign.

I would surely look else where for hosting. Things happen from time to time, but not being able to get any type of support at all is a bad sign.
    I fully agree. Look for a new place to host your website. Hopefully you have total control over you domain and you'll be able to get a copy of your website (either from them directly or from the server if it starts to work again). Ask for instructions here if you have any problems. There are a lot of helpful guys/gals on these boards.

Heh, I remember when I was changing a web host account for my website because the original host told me that I was using too much space. So, I switched over to another host where I had talked to the owner previously and he stated that he would be able to handle my website. A couple days later, the server was down. I talked to him again and he did not pay his server bill!! So, maybe that is it ;-p Of course, I switched to another host right away.

::hopes it isn't him that Sandals is complaining about::

Been having some problems with my server (Two compromises in 5 days, reformatted the server on Thursday, currently slamming down all open points of security today).

Sandals, if I am the person, please send me a PM. If I'm not, please let us know.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

update

Well, he did send me a personal email, then sent out a customer email. I just found it strange that it did not happen until I hounded him yesterday. I feel better now that he replied....That is better than no reply. The reason for the site down was a virus is what I was told....So....when my site comes up again, just how do you save it??? Very interested in knowing how so I can have my own copy! I appreciate everyones input!

Greetings:

While there has been recent news -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Mar22.html -- of virus activity causing down time for Web hosting providers, it also shows that more providers need to beef up preparing for such events so they are not harmed in the future.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Okay, sandals didn't send me a PM, so I don't think I'm their provider. ::whew::
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites