hostname and nameserver questioning

I am confused sinc this is my first very very newbie set up in WHM/CPanel.

I understand hostname is a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name). But where does this come from?

Am I suppose to use the domain name that I used to set up as a nameserver?

domain name: was set up as a nameserver and was given a dn1 and dn2

Now, for a hostname, what do i use?

My server is up and running but is causing a email and ftp problem since the setup is incorrect. Your advise and help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    (ps. if this is in the wrong forum, please move it)

The hostname of the server does not have to relate to your domains name servers for everything to work properly.

Your domain can be and then have your hostname be and then have your nameservers be etc. But they don't need to be the same. Just make sure your hostname domain is located on your server. It should be the default domain located in your WHM setup page.

Sorry if that is a bit unclear, but when it comes to DNS issues, very few people can be clear. It's something you just have to sort of learn by experience. Because I swear, in all my experience, some DNS rules that there used to be, never really worked in the first place, and were invalid. Same thing goes on now. I think DNS rules are very bendable. Like technically, a while ago, everyone thought you couldnt have the same ip for different nameservers, and blah blah.

Anyway, probably a bad post. Sorry if I ramble. Been a long day

I'm still at a lost...

I ended up calling my domain registar where i registered a dns name and now they have confused me even more....

Above The Clouds
    All our servers have an anymous domain. So we use "" (example). Just make sure that the domain exists in httpd.include by setting it up in the control panel and add an A record for the hostname pointing to the server's IP.

And if you're setting up a hosting service, please do the industry a favour and hire someone that can help you.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability