Question vBulletin Spyfixed?

i was just wondering if vBulletin had "spy" scripts built in there software?

a friend setup a forum (PAID) but he thought and asked..
    say they post on there forum how they hate to pay for a great forum software if vBulletin will hear about that, stupid question i know.

thx for looking.

Ok then first of all let us know the url of the forum

yes, vBulletin "calls home" to Jelsoft (the creators) website.
    Gone.

Interesting....the term "spyfixed" refers to illegal copies of the forum software.

Nice trolling

There is a call home script in every php file. Everytime a user logs into your forum it calls home telling them everything about you forum and checks a URL in the database.
    Don't look for a way out.

+1
    Just a child story

Originally posted by timechange.com
    Interesting....the term "spyfixed" refers to illegal copies of the forum software.

Nice trolling

Originally posted by RDX Media
    There is a call home script in every php file. Everytime a user logs into your forum it calls home telling them everything about you forum and checks a URL in the database.
    Wow, I didn't know that. Another reason I'll never use Vb, that's a bit too much.

Originally posted by MDJ2000
    Wow, I didn't know that. Another reason I'll never use Vb, that's a bit too much.
    Only he was supposed to know that. Ssh.

The only thing that happens as far as vB 2.x is concerned is that when you log into the admin control panel a script connects to vBulletin and checks your URL to the database. That and when you log in a script calls and checks what version is the latest.

just out of curiosity, wouldnt this be considered invasion of webmasters privacy 'calling home'?

No, it is spelled out clearly in their license agreement.

Can that script be disabled?
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

ohh okay then, my bad.. heh

If you find it in their code. You can remove it as it states in the license agreement you can edit the code (At your own risk).

I don't see why it's a problem. It is their code, they own it and you only lease it (No matter if you have an own licensed or leased). It's not a free code and if they find out that you are using a board illegally they will do anything in their power to stop it. (If you and/or your host is in a country that obeys copyright laws) If you don't stop they contact your host, if your host doesn't stop they contact their host. All the way up to the ISP that supplies the lines.

Why would anyone care of the script "called home"?

Tracy Phillips

Actually, the term most commonly used is "nullified".

I think IPB does to, since the later versions have a version check in the admin areas. I don't know about phpBB though.
    73's, Kim

The only ones that worry are either the ones that pirate or are paranoid. The already have your name and address, who cares if they have your URL and license number when you log in? (They already have it.) Since they own it they can add whatever they want as long as it is made public and is added to the license agreement. (Which it already is as I pointed out.)

You need to validate your customer number with Jelsoft before you can use the installation process as well for vB3 (I haven't looked at that code to see if you can remove it, as I have no need to as I have licensed copies).

If you've got a legal license you've got nothing to be afraid of.

So long as you make your users aware of the possibility of call backs in the license agreement then the user should expect it. After all the software is still the property of the author and they can program what they like into it... if you don't like it, don't buy it.
    Last edited by Rich2k; 03-23-2004 at 07:53 PM.

Originally posted by Rich2k
    You need to validate your customer number with Jelsoft before you can use the installation process as well for vB3 (I haven't looked at that code to see if you can remove it, as I have no need to as I have licensed copies).
    Actually that is not true. It calls /install/authenticate.php and all you need is your customer number. (Which is displayed on the top of each file.)

Im sure it could easily be disabled.........

Hmmmm,Vbulletin is so good,why bother though!!

The Dude

PS-

Is there a way to disable the thing that pop ups when you hover over a thread link in VB3??

yeah i think my friend DLd it and is installing it on a local network, im not sure what hes trying to do, maybe test it or somthing make templates. but ill sure to pass it along thx you very much.

these are good things to know about vB, i dont like the way vB 3 looks like.

The new vB3 looks a little simular to IPB. When I went to vB3 from IPB, some members thought I simply added another skin...
    73's, Kim