View Poll Results: What business type do you use.

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Corporation

8 13.56%
  • LLC

15 25.42%
  • Partnership

6 10.17%
  • Sole Proprietor

23 38.98%
  • Nothing (Hobby)

7 11.86%

What kind of business are you?

Wanted to see what business type people used for their hosting/reseller business
    Alvin

Greetings:

We are a Pennsylvania C corporation -- Dynamic Net, Inc. -- with We Manage Servers as a registered DBA under the parent company.

If it matters, we would probably have been better off to be a subchapter S corp or LLC.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

We fall under Hobby.

Corporation in the state of Wisconsin, NoZone, Inc. dba Steadfast Networks.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

What if you are registered elsewhere in the world, in the UK or France for example and it is called something different. I think there should have at least been an "Other" option so people can state what they are in their country and then the American equiv. if they know it.

I know that the equiv. of LLC for the U.S. is Ltd in the U.K. and S.A.R.L. in France and Spain, but I personally think it would have been nice for an option like "Other" or something so people could've voted and stated what they are in their country. (Now they cannot vote if they don't know what they are, but they can post)

Sorry about that Anjay. That would of been a good idea/choice. I would add it, but it does not let me anymore.
    Alvin

We are a Pennsylvania S-Corp.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

Right now i'm under the 'Nothing' status, but I will soon be a Sole Propreitor

LLC in Connecticut.

I don't see why people would want to be a Sole Proprietorship -- it offers no protection at all. ( Edit: Unless they can't find a second member to become an LLC, or a partner for an LLP, though I wouldn't want to be an LLP either. )

California S-Corporation
    Primal Blue Software, Inc.
    primalblue.com

Actually, in some states you can form an LLC with a single person as the owner...

Originally posted by DanX
    LLC in Connecticut.

I don't see why people would want to be a Sole Proprietorship -- it offers no protection at all. ( Edit: Unless they can't find a second member to become an LLC, or a partner for an LLP, though I wouldn't want to be an LLP either. )
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Originally posted by DanX
    LLC in Connecticut.

I agree, but there are some states with a minimum tax. For example in California a Corp or LLC has a $800 /year min. Not that big of a deal for a business, but it does keep some Sole Props from upgrading.
    Primal Blue Software, Inc.
    primalblue.com

Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Colorado LLC ...
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Michigan s-corp
    www.saveserver.com<-- Ask me about low cost dedicated servers
    AIM=cooltjn1

I don't see why people would want to be a Sole Proprietorship -- it offers no protection at all. ( Edit: Unless they can't find a second member to become an LLC, or a partner for an LLP, though I wouldn't want to be an LLP either.)

Actually, 54% of companies in France are all E.I. which is the equivalent to sole proprietor. It also depends per country and so on - true there are a lot of benefits when becoming a SARL/EURL/etc., however there are very strict laws when becoming a business in France, even an E.I.
    http://www.ccip.fr/index.asp
    http://www.ccip.fr/index.asp?idmetapage=17
    http://www3.ccip.fr/inforeg/formsoc/index.html
    The above links show all the details on how to become a business in France, and it shows you all the regulations on this and that - whether you can become an E.I. or an E.U.R.L. or a S.A.R.L. and so on, the rules in France are very strict and unfortunately that is why so many are E.I.

Delaware LLC