Marketing campaigns

Hey guys,
    Ive been planning some stuff out for a while in terms of marketing.

Ive been able to come up with two big ideas (campaigns?).

One:
    This one is a little different and would be targeted toward 19 years olds and up (college age). The following flyer would be distributed all over my university's campus where, hopefully, it'll grab students' attention. Ad so far is below:
    http://www.veocom.com/images/temp/ad.png (size: 8x5 so half a page)
    Im not satisfied with the text, so Im still working on that. UniversityHost.net would then provide basic info about hosting (what it is, domains, alternative to domains, etc.), then redirect to my website where they can register. So that domain becomes more of an informative site. I get a lot of warnings from people about hosting students, etc.

What do you think? Good idea? Ups and down?

Second:
    This is more of a direct [normal] approach. An ad would be placed on a local newspaper's website (one of the 2 leading local papers). The ad would be specifically placed in the business section of the site. Their pricing is CPM and Im thinking 10,000 impressions. However, they sent me the pricing packet and statistics for year 2001-2002, so Im still waiting for the right data.

Also, good/bad idea? Your thoughts? What should banner include?

Thank you
    Dimitry

Greetings Dimitry:

Very well done.

I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion as to the wording; but you hit the key points (which is what matters in my opinion).

A few things to remember:

Short is often better than longer (sure, I'm one to speak about keeping written material short <g>).

Simpler is better than complex.

Give enough information to get them to call or act; they can ask questions on the phone. Go too much in depth as to hosting vs. a hostess, domain name services, etc, and you can lose the very people who can best use your services.

Frequency and time span counts in advertising. It is better to have a very small ad appear very often over time than to have a large ad that appears only now and then.

In terms of placement, I would look at ways to partner with local, tri-county, and tri-state colleges and universities.

That can be as simple as finding out where you can post your fliers at no charge to business relationships where you do revenue sharing.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

The college idea sounds great. Probably adding a "OnABudget" Package 100MB 6 bucks. The question answer thing would work.
    If you are going to spend the money on print material you have to streamline everything, make it as easy as possible. Instead of the thumbs up, maybe an IPOD MINI IPOD or something .

If you had funding you could give one way. To one of the first 100 people to signup.
    Datums Internet Solutions, LLC
    Systems Engineering & Managed Hosting Services
    Complex Hosting Consultants

I would eventually offer a referral program. Get free web hosting for a month, quarter, year if you bring us X number of clients.
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials

ad seems alright, are you going to print it in colour or black and white? Also, maybe include some more info in the ad like prices etc...

I think you have a great idea there Dimitry. The ad looks great to me and you've identified the perfect target audience. You'll do well.

- Tom
    ~ "Hello, my name is Tom, and I'm a web hosting addict..." ~
    A couple of my most recent addictions include:
    Blog About Nothing - No, really...
    Death Etc. - Bringing The Macabre To Life