Want to Install LongHorn? Got a 5Ghz Machine?

In the meantime, industry analysts are predicting that Longhorn will need every bit of the power and processing capacity of the average desktop computer in 2006. Some say that could mean a 5 GHz microprocessor, 2G of main memory, a PCI Express bus and a widescreen display. The desktop would also likely need a constant Internet connection.
    http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004...3-03-22-04.asp

If that is true, the end of Microsoft is near, most people hardly ever upgrade their system for a better OS.

Re: Want to Install LongHorn? Got a 5Ghz Machine?

Originally posted by Rob83
    http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2004...3-03-22-04.asp

If that is true, the end of Microsoft is near, most people hardly ever upgrade their system for a better OS.
    Are there facts to back that up about "Most people hardly ever etc etc" or is that just your own opinion?

Simon

Re: Re: Want to Install LongHorn? Got a 5Ghz Machine?

Originally posted by SimonMc
    Are there facts to back that up about "Most people hardly ever etc etc" or is that just your own opinion?

Simon
    In the 10 1/2 years I've worked in computers, the OS wasn't the biggest reason people upgraded a machine.

[ARRGHHH! 90 Second Rule]
    Thats bull.
    I got a alpha version of longhorn and it ran fine on a 1.5 ghz pc.
    It ran same as WinXP, not more resource hogging.

Linux will run great on some old win95 pc. so you dont pay for the OS, and you actually get the most out of your hardware.

Rob, I dont think microsoft is that stupid, but the system requirements are infact going to be high for longhorn. (probably not THAT high)

so you have a good point.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Re: Re: Re: Want to Install LongHorn? Got a 5Ghz Machine?

Originally posted by Rob83
    In the 10 1/2 years I've worked in computers, the OS wasn't the biggest reason people upgraded a machine.
    I am not being funny bob but ...when you say things like this is the death of microsoft etc...I expect to see you back that up with fact or just say it is your own opinion. I have been in IT for more years but I can not speak for everybody. I have certainly seen people change hardware so they can run a more modern operating system. This is certainly not new to me.

But ...I have no figures to back that up with. It is just my opinion and I am certain it will not kill Microsoft. Again..just my opinion.

Simon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Want to Install LongHorn? Got a 5Ghz Machine?

Originally posted by SimonMc
    I am not being funny bob but ...when you say things like this is the death of microsoft etc...I expect to see you back that up with fact or just say it is your own opinion. I have been in IT for more years but I can not speak for everybody. I have certainly seen people change hardware so they can run a more modern operating system. This is certainly not new to me.

But ...I have no figures to back that up with. It is just my opinion and I am certain it will not kill Microsoft. Again..just my opinion.

Simon
    First.. My name isn't Bob.

What I am saying is, if MS expects/demands high requirements for their New Operating System, an OS that is the first to be released after 4-5 years of no new OS releases, they are setting themself up for some issues.

The figures I heard (from a few MS conferences etc.) were:

Recommended Spec (will be increased as more features are added):
    ~3-4Ghz processor
    1gb Ram
    256mb 3D Graphics Card (for the OS to use for its stupid effects)
    10gb free hard disk space
    1280x1024 capable monitor minimum

Remember, this is the basic spec. Same as the 600Mhz (if I remember correctly) recommended for WinXP.

The release date for longhorn is estimated to now be 2007-2008, however a 2009 release is definitely possible.
    Gone.

Microsoft is also evaluating ditching x86 entirely and releasing for PowerPC processors (IBM970-980 - G5/G5+)

They will have ported a lot of the Windows kernel code over when they release the Xbox2, so it wouldn't be such a mammoth task. It would certainly remove the problems using a 20 year old architecture causes.
    Gone.

i was looking for that beta OS i wanna try it, it looks kinda cool.

it's not in beta yet. it's at a very early stage of alpha.
    Gone.

I used 4051 on my 366mhz with 1`92mb ram and a 6g hd. it ran faster then my xp pro system running @ p4 3.2ghz with 1256mb ram and 2 x 250g hd's

Remember, this is the basic spec. Same as the 600Mhz (if I remember correctly) recommended for WinXP.
    I have XP running perfectly on a 333mhz laptop. It is a little slow, but it does the job.
    Alvin

if i remember correctly, win XP doesnt let you install if your cpu is slower than 600mhz, how did you bypass this?

Originally posted by ilyash
    if i remember correctly, win XP doesnt let you install if your cpu is slower than 600mhz, how did you bypass this?
    I could of sworn I've seen this before also, but just recently installed 2 copies onto a 450 and 400. Runs perfectly fine and even improved performance of surfing net, listening music, etc compared to 98 that was on both machines.

Regards,
    Jeff

I have been making a lot of mistakes lately.

I did not install XP, it was Windows 2000 Professional and not only does it work fine, but it runs faster then when it was on Win 98.

I am not sure about any 600mhz limit for XP though.
    Alvin

Originally posted by alvinks
    I have XP running perfectly on a 333mhz laptop. It is a little slow, but it does the job.

I have WinXP running on a Pentium 366Mhz with 256MB ram with a 5GB hard drive.

There are certain performace decreases, but you can tweak it out so that it runs fine.
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Originally posted by websterworld

Linux will run great on some old win95 pc. so you dont pay for the OS, and you actually get the most out of your hardware.
    What has Linux got to do with it?

To the post:

It is well known that MS, and analysts over-exagerate their "recommended specs". For instance;
    They recommended that XP would not run on anything under 256MB ram, when it actually run's fine on a laptop system with 64MB RAM (seriously - i've tested it on one of my old laptops, and it comes up trumps).

Recommended Spec (will be increased as more features are added):
    ~3-4Ghz processor
    1gb Ram
    256mb 3D Graphics Card (for the OS to use for its stupid effects)
    10gb free hard disk space
    1280x1024 capable monitor minimum

Recommended is not basic requirements. The two are completely different terms, with completely different meanings.

If a system would only run with the specs you posted, it would have a tag of:

Basic requirements: [insert specs]
    Recommended specs: [insert specs]

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network.

All the stuff i have heard about longhorn "CALLING HOME" I wouldnt wanna have it!!!!!

Supposedly it let MS onto your computer so THEY CAN DELETE WHATEVER THEY DONT WANT YOU HAVING!!!

So im not surprised it needs so much resources!!!!!!

Stay away if possible!!!!!!

The Dude

Originally posted by The Dude_
    All the stuff i have heard about longhorn "CALLING HOME" I wouldnt wanna have it!!!!!

Supposedly it let MS onto your computer so THEY CAN DELETE WHATEVER THEY DONT WANT YOU HAVING!!!

The Dude

That is a load of crap.

Vbulletin has a call home feature. Does that mean they will delete whatever they want on your computer?

In the year 2006, 5GHz, 2Gigs of RAM isn't that fast/huge

BennyG, in the year 2004, 5GHz, 2gigs of RAM will not be considered fast/huge.

it is 2004....

And 5ghz with 2gb ram is considered very fast. 5Ghz cpu's arent even available to public yet.
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Check your calender cMark.

It's only March.

Originally posted by ilyash
    not true, I installed XP on a *giggle* Pentium 166 MHz, didn't stop me at all

I think it may stop you if you have under 64mb ram though

I think Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot, 2006-2009 for the next Windows? XP will be ancient by then and is already old now

Maybe this is the chance Max OSX / Linux has been waiting for

In 2006, 5GHz is considered fast! I bet less than 10% of computers being used will be 5GHz or higher. Intel's new chips coming out with slower clock freq and Intel is abandoning the clock freq ratings in order to marketing their slower clock freq chips.

Originally posted by The Dude_

The Dude
    Oh geez, here we go again...LOL

I remember all that being said about XP/2000/ME/98 prior to thier releases also... Dont you ever learn Dude?

Hmm.... linux is fun

Agreed.. linux is fun.. and a lot less confusing than windows when you get down to it. The problem with windows is that it does so many things behind your back. It can confuse the heck out of me sometimes. Linux is nice because I know exactly what my comp is doing.

Now on the topic. My prediction is that even in 2006 5ghz will be fast. Chip manufacturers have slowed down and are now rethinking their designs to be more efficient instead of faster. The 2 gig of memory is a no brainer... it'll be close to standard in new comps in 2006.

Originally posted by IHSL
    What has Linux got to do with it?

Simon
    This thread is about how longhorn will need advanced hardware, that most people will probably not have, and will need to upgrade.

my point is, that you can install linux on a "windows95 spec's computer" and use that 9 year old computer without having to upgrade to a P4 or something.

so, while windows will force you to use the latest hardware, linux will let you use the hardware you already have. making linux a lot more attractive to people that dont want to waste money on the latest hardware.

I think its a valid point that was in place with the thread topic.

One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.

What are you guys talking about ? 5Ghz is already here:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/

Originally posted by websterworld
    This thread is about how longhorn will need advanced hardware, that most people will probably not have, and will need to upgrade.

my point is, that you can install linux on a "windows95 spec's computer" and use that 9 year old computer without having to upgrade to a P4 or something.

so, while windows will force you to use the latest hardware, linux will let you use the hardware you already have. making linux a lot more attractive to people that dont want to waste money on the latest hardware.

I think its a valid point that was in place with the thread topic.

It might be a valid point if all the person wanted to do was run an operating system.
    What about software? The software that will be running on Longhorn will not run on that 9 year old computer you speak of. Making it about as useful as a paper weight.

what about software?
    by default, windows xp comes with WMP9 and IE, and notepad.

a browser, some sort of basic text editor come with all linux distros...

if your talking about installing software, well I personally dont have a 9 year old computer to try it on, but where is the problem?

install open office, and all the programs you need on that old pc, they will run, they will run slowly, but they will run.

so no blue, it wont be usless, and thats exactly my point.

power of linux

Indeed. For example I am running with a 16mb agp graphics card.... thats more powerful than anything needs in linux. Office shouldn't (not saying it will not) need more processor today than it will in the future. I really fail to see what useful task (for a desktop pc) there will be in 2006 (or whenever) that will not run on a properly configured machine from today.

Two words... games and bloat

Decent Accounting Software
    Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Illustrator
    Powerpoint

Games and bloat? I don't think so. These are programs that many professional offices rely on.

If you want to run 5 year old shareware on your linux machine go ahead.

Some of us have more sophisticated needs.

"Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Illustrator"

run great under wine.
    thats right, while adobe have not ported this programs to linux they still run just fine under wine.

also, if you dont like open office and want to use the ms-office, it has been tested extensivly under wine and works 100%.

so you can run your powerpoint program under linux.

"Decent Accounting Software", well I dont know about that. I know that there are a few free programs out there, but I agree they wont be very good probably. you can try to run what your using right now blue in windows with wine and it will work (probably).

the point however is that there is nothing wrong with better hardware, but that you are not forced into upgrading either.

I'm sure that you can actually setup linux to run whatever you use blue on an old computer and it will work without problems. maybe a bit slow.
    (try it some time, its might be a pain to setup however)

linux is very "strechable" so to speak... its a great alterntive, doesnt matter if you use high-end hardware, or outdated hardware.

blue27-
    That's exactly my point. There is no reason that decent accounting software shouldn't be able to run on a 300mhz computer. In fact, if it doesn't I'd say it's not decent. Similar for the rest of the programs listed. If they don't then it's not the hardware's fault, it's the company that offers the program for writing bloated software.

I don't disagree with you Websterworld, other than the fact that if you are using current versions of these softwares, running them on older machines, regardless of the OS, is far too slow to make them viable.

robeyh, it's not bloated software if you are using all of the features.
    The fact of the matter is there are many programs that just don't work on older computers.
    You can't fault software manufacturers for taking advantage of the latest technology.