Hybrid View

What's the best way to research hosting providers?

What's the best way to research and compare hosting providers?

Price?
    Features?
    Uptime?
    Server Performance
    and most important - support?

ask arround in diffrent forums belive me people will lwt you know

Re: What's the best way to research hosting providers?

Originally posted by kirk95
    What's the best way to research and compare hosting providers?

Price?
    Features?
    Uptime?
    Server Performance
    and most important - support?

Yes to all the above.

One thing on the Price? If it sounds to good to be true then it most likely aint so true.

A new Beginning for WebMasters
    WebMasters Forum
    TotalWeb International Net Consulting
    Internet Consulting, Hosting and Business Solutions

Originally posted by Cellularguy
    ask arround in diffrent forums belive me people will lwt you know
    what other forums?

I believe that the best thing is to find credible reviews from real people that have actually used the service. Any place you can find these is good.
    WHT is a great place. Just put the name of the company in the search feature and keep on reading. I often visit findmyhosting.com and webhostingratings.com. The ratings/reviews in these three places tend to be similar so in a way they back each other up.
    The BBB rating can also be useful.
    Sometimes a google search for "company review(s)" can give useful results too.
    I love companies that have a "support forum". You can spend some time reading stuff there and see how things are taken care of.
    Hosting is generally not expensive IMHO. The hunt for the lowest possible price is just not worth it.
    I believe that if most people are happy with a company, then I stand a real chance of being happy there too.
    So for me:
    Price - among last things on the list and used only if all other things are (more or less) equal
    Features - important - if you really need something you gottta have it
    Uptime - important - downtime can happen to the best though for a lot of reasons. It's how they deal with it that's important.
    Server performance - sure it's important; former or present customers can say how fast the servers are.
    Support - very important - it has to be fast and helpful. It's not enough to receive acknoledgments and promises that things will be corrected.

Of course all is IMHO. Priorities vary among individuals.

what other forums?
    Good joke!

Well You Can go to the Offers Section Of WHT, or you can simply ask one of WHT talented members!

I always liked to google the company's name and sift through the few pages to see if people had an opinion on the company.

However, you're on the site of all sites to find information on hosting companies. I would say read through the threads and make sure you check up on the company's history and you should be golden.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Search WHT , but remember WHT only has (believe it or not) a small number of the great hosting companies that are around

Good luck,
    Derrick
    ResellerEdge.com - High Quality Reseller/ Multiple Domain Hosting.

Add to that.. "suitability to your requirements"
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

My advice:
    If you're wanting to research a hosting provider - see if there's a way to contact people who are actually hosted by them.

As for forums... eh, if doing research, they have their use but I'd stay away from forums.

You just can't go wrong when talking to people who are currently USING the service in which you're interested. That way you'll be screening out those who have either never used it in the first place and are only reporting hear-say OR they had a bad experience and have since left - save the very few who left your prospective host for no other reason because they needed services that were not provided to them at the time. Since you want the current skinny, some companies change their ways, so a current customer would be the only way you could get you that sort of current - unbiased info.
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

Oh- small correction: one good use of forums when researching a provider...

Check the "Host Down?" section at WHT. If uptime is important, that one area is usually updated by existing customers.
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

some companies change their ways
    I've heard often of good hosts going bad, but the opposite? Do you have such an example? I'm genuinely interested.