Domain Masking Question

Can someone help me understand what masking really does?

In my "day job" I'm a college professor and have webspace that I use for my college classes. I also do consulting (educational technology workshops) for schools and am in the process of building a website to advertise those services.

I want to keep my teaching and consulting separate to prevent any appearance of a conflict of interest since many of my college students are actually teachers in schools where I consult. However, I want to host both of my "websites" in the same webspace.

Now to the point of my message.....

I have one commercial website that I use for my college classes and I'm building my consulting website as a subweb in that same webspace. I have purchased a domain with godaddy ( and have it pointed to the subweb and set to mask the domain. Therefore, when I type into the browser, it retains in the browser address bar. If I don't prvided links outside that folder, is there any way a user will be able to tell that this site is actually residing in my main website?

In other words, the way I have this set-up, it looks as though is in its own separate webspace. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Eastern Kentucky University -- College of Education

Does that answer your question? Spend the few, and I mean few, dollars and get yourself a cheap host. There are places that have $8.95 per six months and such. For less than $1.50 a month you can clearly seperate the two.

Yep...sure does. Thanks :-)

for newbies they wont know, but any intermediate internet user would know because it show at the bottom and anyone can do view source

guy small webhosting as acts mentioned to serve your business needs
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi