managed.com for personal use?

I know there are hundreds of managed.com thread but most of them does not answer my question.

So I thought I'd post a new thread...

1) Would you recommend managed.com for personal use with e-mails? In other words, will all of my e-mails arrives OK? Is any of their IP addresses blackholed?

2) I plan to hold my large Photo Gallery. Does anyone run a large Photo Gallery on managed.com servers? If so, what s the speed like when you edit the photos online? (compression, croping, resizing, etc)

3) I run a large message board. Does anyone run a large message board on managed.com servers? If so, what is the speed like for MySQL?

4) I know Redhat will be installed as default, but they did not mention if it's an full install or half? Do I have to install all of the required packages/libraries?

Many thanks all.

Tony
    - Tony Sutton
    - My Ford Focus ST170 car | My car's Dashcam Videos

Re: managed.com for personal use?

Originally posted by tsutton
    I know there are hundreds of managed.com thread but most of them does not answer my question.

So I thought I'd post a new thread...

1) Would you recommend managed.com for personal use with e-mails? In other words, will all of my e-mails arrives OK? Is any of their IP addresses blackholed?

2) I plan to hold my large Photo Gallery. Does anyone run a large Photo Gallery on managed.com servers? If so, what s the speed like when you edit the photos online? (compression, croping, resizing, etc)

3) I run a large message board. Does anyone run a large message board on managed.com servers? If so, what is the speed like for MySQL?

4) I know Redhat will be installed as default, but they did not mention if it's an full install or half? Do I have to install all of the required packages/libraries?

Many thanks all.

Tony
    1) Yes, search for spam list on SPAMCOP and Spamhaus.
    2 & 3) Are Server Related questions, depends on your CPU and memory.
    4) They will install any packpages if you request them to do it. AFAIK, they leave the box with httpd.

Hope it helps
    ^_^

tsutton

the only thing was wrong with managed.com is the uptime before they add XO line, and when we say uptime we dont talk about a cretical uptime problem once or 2wis this month they have been down for like 21 min first time and 17 min for the 2nd time, here am talking about my server am not talking while me not having any server there.

else where all the hardware are new and you get some good brand hardware with them.

with that down time they had this month the down time uptime went to 99.91 with them assuming there will be no down time rest of the month.

if you order your box with cpanel then it will have almost every thing to start hosting.

you will still need to secure and twak you server and know what you are doing.
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Re: Re: managed.com for personal use?

Originally posted by Francisco
    1) Yes, search for spam list on SPAMCOP and Spamhaus.
    Thought so, thanks. So it's best to keep my main domain on different host.

2 & 3) Are Server Related questions, depends on your CPU and memory.
    It will be based on this server - http://www.managed.com/celeron60.htm and from what I can see it should be fast enough.

4) They will install any packpages if you request them to do it. AFAIK, they leave the box with httpd. [/B]
    That's great to hear.

Thanks for the useful reply.
    - Tony Sutton

Re: Re: Re: managed.com for personal use?

Thought so, thanks. So it's best to keep my main domain on different host.

It will be based on this server - http://www.managed.com/celeron60.htm and from what I can see it should be fast enough.

That's great to hear.

Thanks for the useful reply.
    Glad to help
    ^_^

I only found one report of spam based on the managed.com network from spamhaus

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings...sp=managed.com

Is spamhaus actually looking at the whole netblock of Ips from managed.com ?
    - Tony Sutton

I only found one report of spam based on the managed.com network from spamhaus

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings...sp=managed.com

Is spamhaus actually looking at the whole netblock of Ips from managed.com ?
    Well, it scans all the IP's on the name of Managed.com. But remember Managed.com has some net blocks under another Name, I think it's M2 but I'm not sure since I'm not their Customer or anything
    ^_^

To be absolutely sure, with your needs, I would go for 1024 Mb RAM, especially if your forum's URLs are SE-friendly and your robots.txt is liberal enough.

You may want to have a look at the Dedi and Colo Offers and find some appropriate specials for you, say, P4 2.4 @ 1G RAM fully managed for $99.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Re: managed.com for personal use?

Yes, I use them as my personal server. All emails seems to be arriving fine. I have another one as a backup server though.

Yes, I run my Gallery site on my managed.com server too. Runs ok.

Depends on your server. As long as you got MySQL and your message board on the same machine it should be ok.

I suggest FreeBSD

Re: Re: managed.com for personal use?

Originally posted by buantel
    Yes, I run my Gallery site on my managed.com server too. Runs ok.
    Got a URL so I can see the speed?

I suggest FreeBSD [/B]
    Any reason of using FreeBSD over Redhat?

Many thanks.
    - Tony Sutton

Re: Re: Re: managed.com for personal use?

Got a URL so I can see the speed?

Any reason of using FreeBSD over Redhat?

Many thanks.
    pm'd u my gallery site

as for FreeBSD, I just find freebsd more stable and organized and since they offer it thats the one i got.

btw i think if you want any of those control panels you will need linux. otherwise you might want to look at plesk7 which i believe they have freebsd

Re: Re: Re: Re: managed.com for personal use?

Originally posted by buantel
    pm'd u my gallery site

Got it, thanks. Speed is good from my ADSL at UK.

as for FreeBSD, I just find freebsd more stable and organized and since they offer it thats the one i got.
    I se. Thanks. I only have played with Redhat and Mandrake, so I guess FreeBSD will be a new learning curve for me.

btw i think if you want any of those control panels you will need linux. otherwise you might want to look at plesk7 which i believe they have freebsd
    Yeah, I noticed that they only offers CPanel for Redhat and nothing for other platform. Is Plesk free?
    - Tony Sutton

Usually, one would get cPanel for less money than Plesk.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: managed.com for personal use?

Got it, thanks. Speed is good from my ADSL at UK.

I se. Thanks. I only have played with Redhat and Mandrake, so I guess FreeBSD will be a new learning curve for me.

Yeah, I noticed that they only offers CPanel for Redhat and nothing for other platform. Is Plesk free?
    Nope, it's not free. not that expensive though check out the plesk site

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: managed.com for personal use?

Is Plesk free?
    Plesk is free for one domain and one email. Otherwise, you'll have to pay. Check out http://www.plesk.com/

Originally posted by jasonkw
    Plesk is free for one domain and one email. Otherwise, you'll have to pay. Check out http://www.plesk.com/
    A one domain license is free? Where can I grab a copy?

- Matt

Managed.com? Are they good?

I'm thinking of getting 2 servers with managed.com and i would like to know if anyone here has a dedicated server with them? How good is there uptime? Are the servers good?

Answers much appreciated , if posible a review on it
    Last edited by -Calum-; 03-27-2004 at 05:16 AM.

Could anyone help me?

I think its safe to say that this question has been answered at least twice a week for the past five months or so, just use the "Search" button on the top of your screen.

If you must know, the general consensus is "No, they are not good" but you'll have to use the "Search" to find out more, considering that I have no experience with buying dedicated servers from competitors