Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As others have posted, there is apparently more than a simplistic answer for why some sites look like template sites or vice-versa. I won't go down that route since it's really none of my concern.

In advertising, perception is reality. For better or worse, the hostrocket site site give me, upon my first visit, the
    PERCEPTION that it is just another "deal-a-meal" quickie template.

As a visitor, I don't know, nor do I care, how much behind-the-scenes backend razzle-dazzle database driven programming or scripting is going on.

As a site visitor, my perception is what I base my decision on and my perception, for better or worse, is that it looks like many other sites run by high-school kids with a part-time hosting biz.

I'm not trying to pick on hostrocket, simply that the question was asked is this type of design worth $5K and my answer is, unfortunatley, no because the perception of the site turns me off.

Maybe a few years ago (before the "ripoff" design wars) it was unique, but at this point in time it doesn't do anything for me.

I'd spend the $5k on direct customer acquisition efforts - sales or marketing, not trying to win a webdesign "beauty contest".

Check some of the websites of those hosts that DO NOT frequent WHT. Some of them are "awful" visually yet those companies are doing very well financially.

As another stated, if you can get clients and send them to your site to sign-up, versus simply browsing, it doesn't really matter what your site looks like.

Originally posted by Azaloth
    Spiv,

HostRocket only has elements similar to a TemplateMonster site because TemplateMonster designers shamelessly rip and copy work from Ceonex designs. They have been doing it for years.

It should also be pointed out that a lot more than just design goes into a high-level Ceonex solution such as HostRocket. Sure TemplateMonster can give you a poor rip off that other people on the web are using, but they can't give you the advertising strategy, backend functionality, industry analysis, copywriting, or even overall quality and consistency of design that Ceonex can. And those are the things that will make you money.

I'd have to strongly disagree with you. The impression that I get from HR's website is that they are a cutting-edge and well-established company. The flashiness also I think would have a more positive influence over those newer to web hosting.

Some of the most succesful web hosting companies out there (just to name a few - HostRocket, Lunarpages, Dinix, HostNexus) have the same look. If it isn't working for them, why are they using it?

HI, Thank you all for the comments in this thread.

I say i have to agree on a few points on each side of the argument.

I have decided to spend the money on things that will improve my current and future customers experience with saveserver.

Thanks again this thread has helped.
    www.saveserver.com<-- Ask me about low cost dedicated servers
    AIM=cooltjn1

$5,000.00 for a design isn't expensive at all. That is a pretty standard price in today's market from an actual company and not some kid just slicing up a PS file in his basement.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Not true - we use a web design firm that charges a flat $100 per page (not per hour) so what others quote $5,000 have cost us $1000 to $1500 at most. We also have offshore partners that do high-end sites (complete with back-end programming) with the same quality for much less than US prices.

We find that small projects are best done here but larger projects are much more cost-effective offshore. The "project management" cost is more than offset by the huge savings in design and programming fees.

Web design pricing varies greatly. Just like in traditional advertising you can hire a big corporate "Ad Agency" and pay 10 times the price while a small freelancer or boutique shop will produce the same or better work for 1/5 to 1/10 the cost.

Unlike buying physical products, a high price for a web design is not a guarantee of good value or higher-end work.

Originally posted by KIAHost
    $5,000.00 for a design isn't expensive at all. That is a pretty standard price in today's market from an actual company and not some kid just slicing up a PS file in his basement.

Originally posted by Intersabre
    I'd have to strongly disagree with you. The impression that I get from HR's website is that they are a cutting-edge and well-established company. The flashiness also I think would have a more positive influence over those newer to web hosting.

Some of the most successful web hosting companies out there (just to name a few - HostRocket, Lunarpages, Dinix, HostNexus) have the same look. If it isn't working for them, why are they using it?
    The same could easily be said about companies like Pair.com. None of the companies you have mentioned are anywhere near the company that Pair has become (IMO) yet Pair's site is very simple without all the flash and glitz that other sites have.

I'm not saying the flashy stuff doesn't work. I'm simply saying there are plenty of profitable markets out there that do not require a company to invest in all that.

I think you nailed it!

I liked reading this, exactly my feelings

Originally posted by spiv
    Not true - we use a web design firm that charges a flat $100 per page (not per hour) so what others quote $5,000 have cost us $1000 to $1500 at most. We also have offshore partners that do high-end sites (complete with back-end programming) with the same quality for much less than US prices.

We find that small projects are best done here but larger projects are much more cost-effective offshore. The "project management" cost is more than offset by the huge savings in design and programming fees.

Web design pricing varies greatly. Just like in traditional advertising you can hire a big corporate "Ad Agency" and pay 10 times the price while a small freelancer or boutique shop will produce the same or better work for 1/5 to 1/10 the cost.

Unlike buying physical products, a high price for a web design is not a guarantee of good value or higher-end work.

don't spend it! there are plenty of companies here in WHT who will do much more fo much less - including a better relationship.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12