Building 1U AMD Athlon XP 3200+

Hey guys,
    Im planning on having my own "gameserver" to be colocated but im not sure about what case i should get. Im thinking 1U though, so i was just wondering if my processor with it's heatsink and fan will fit on a regular 1U case. Seems too slim to me...

If i got like a 2U or bigger, will that make me spend more just to colocate it?

Hello,

You need a different heatsink and fan for it. Daytron or forgot the name...does sell that kind of CPU special for 1U Amd XP servers

=)

get a low profile hsf, and a fan.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...150-029&DEPA=1
    that one might work. Just might want to use a faster fan, who cares about noise in a Co-lo job

Also, why an amd xp 3200+? what will be the use of a processor that powerful? I dont do much with game servers yet, but i would think you could save yourself some money and get a 2600+ or similar, they are under 90$.

OhioServers
    MB
    figuring out what i want to do

Originally posted by WCHost
    Hello,

You need a different heatsink and fan for it. Daytron or forgot the name...does sell that kind of CPU special for 1U Amd XP servers

=)
    Dynatron is the company you're thinking of. They don't sell their fans via the web, so you've got to find a reseller or call them directly. I think ewiz.com has a few dynatron side-blower fans, take a look around . Best of luck!

Thanks guys!

That type of low-profile HS/fan is probably what i would get for it and yeah Nourdmrolnmt, as long as it stays cool, noise doesn't matter I will check out Dynatron though.

I chose the 3200+ so i could get alot of processing headroom, im going to try and fit around 3-4 gameserver in it, and when all of them are in full use i'd like to have the latency as low as possible

3200XP+ in a 1u case? surely that will die very quickly?

Without proper ventilation say a $500 1U case probably would.. it's been sad before but 1U and AMD don't mix.. P3 would be cheaper/better.. you would also be best to stress test the box closed up running cpu 100% for a few hours.. unless you got special or good cooling requirements your likely to lock up crash.. just my experience anyway..

Originally posted by worldUK
    3200XP+ in a 1u case? surely that will die very quickly?
    Why should it? It uses less power than a 3.2Ghx P4.

Vidar

Originally posted by Ophelus
    Without proper ventilation say a $500 1U case probably would.. it's been sad before but 1U and AMD don't mix.. P3 would be cheaper/better..
    It's a MYTH that AMD and 1U doesn't mix. You don't need super-expensive cases to use an Athlon in a 1U. Just make sure you have a AMD recommended cooler and some case fans.

Appro just announced a Quad 1U Opteron.. Have you seen any Quad 1U Intel servers? I haven't... Wonder why..

Vidar

I just went to colo4dallas.com and they seem to accept 1U-4U racks for the same price! If i need to i'll probably go with a 2U or 4U if the prices are good enough.

Originally posted by loopforever
    Dynatron is the company you're thinking of. They don't sell their fans via the web, so you've got to find a reseller or call them directly. I think ewiz.com has a few dynatron side-blower fans, take a look around . Best of luck!
    Don't they? Because I remember asking them and they said they will ship it to my place....=.= that was like last year~

So how's Hong Kong nowadays? I really miss how clean and green the place was, except for Mong Kok ;/

It's not a myth that any AMD is hotter then a P3 (hell some P3's don't need fans, I've seen heatsinks on some 1U's) no comment on P4 there definitely hotter then P3's.. When I saw a P4 running at 170 F in a 1U after a few hours.. I wouldn't call there heat dissipation the same..

cs_game, I suggest you contact brian at rackmountsetc.com, he will help you with everything you need and I'm sure there are others in here that will second that

http://rackmountsetc.com

it's been sad before but 1U and AMD don't mix
    Whatever.

I have four 1U dual AMD 2400 machines. All run less than 50C when running in the rack under load.

What you meant to say was:

"I dont have experience building a properly cooled 1U AMD setup, so I cannot personally recommend it".
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

An AMD processor in a 1U case?

Oh no, it will get so hot that it'll burn through the case and through all other servers underneath and above it in the rack, and then it will explode in a thermonuclear explosion!!!

Nevermind all those other people that say they have successfuly ran AMDs in 1U cases, they must be lying, yeah that's it.

(i'm being sarcastic, in case you didn't notice)

4 blower cooling fans for best airflow
    they would handle the heat issue fine, I hope.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

i tried to configure a server at rackmoutetc, minimum seems to be a 2U. i also contacted colo4dallas.com it seems they allow towers, which is a very good thing. I got more experience on towers, seem to be alot cheaper than rack cases and i hope to get better airflow on it since most of the replies were concerning heat issues. ty for the advise guys

Tower or 2U for AMD = no worry's

The problem with AMD's if it's not understood is they do run hotter and with 1U's already being tough to assemble low profile ram, 1U fan, heat issues, proprietary PS, one more problem of AMD heat issues just = too much for some..

And what always disheartens me is some people do not run heat tests on there box.. so they might find after a field deployment that there box will die when reaching high loads.. (random reboots, crashs etc.)

go with supermicro... after building many dual xeon servers and the time it takes to customize each one, i would go with a supermicro case....

buy the case, ram, cpus, drives..... DONE

time is money...
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

Has anyone building an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ based 1U or 2U server? What kind of power supply rating is required?

i would get a 300 just in case