Why GoDaddy, Enom?

Why does everyone like Godaddy and eNom so much? Is it solely on pricing? Service & Support? Features? What should they do to make things better?
    http://www.kolbsoft.com
    http://www.erichkolb.com
    http://www.providenames.com

I used GoDaddy due to the price at first, but overall now I host all of my domains there. Excellent service, ease of use in the control panel, I find they do everything I need a registrar to.

GoDaddy was my first registrar due to pricing.

Namecheap in my opinion has the best control panel, mass edit the domains all at once.

Ev1Servers.net is where i register my domains now, due to pricing.
    josh

I have 25+ domains with GoDaddy and their service over the past years has been great.

You can mass edit @ GoDaddy anything you want. They have made quite a few changes to the control panel since I 1st signed up though

But seriously "due to pricing"? Heh $2 difference such a big deal to you? Not trying to bash or anything, but I have a domain with Ev1Servers (bought a domain from a guy & they happened to be the registrar) and their control panel is... horrible in my opinion.

Dimitry

Originally posted by DimitryVC
    Not trying to bash or anything, but I have a domain with Ev1Servers (bought a domain from a guy & they happened to be the registrar) and their control panel is... horrible in my opinion.

Dimitry
    I transfered my domains out of EV1servers because of this. The control panel is really, really bad.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

I keep all my domains, my compy domains, and my client domains with RegisterFly (eNom).... but I wonder why.

Reason is probably because they offer multiple domain extensions, price is right, 24/7 support, control panel is good... I have had a few problems with them, however I guess I can only really blame myself. I now give them a 7/10 instead of a 10/10 - however, I will probably stick with them until they close down.

I chose RegisterFly due to all the horror stories I heard about GoDaddy - Eitherway, I also wanted to pay via PayPal so I could use up all the clients money that was sent to PayPal - much easier than having the PayPal money sent to a European account.

i do NOT like godaddy, they are a PITA to deal with

as far as enom, what i dont like about dealing with them directly is their weird pricing/reseller thing they have going on!

i use registerfly.com for years and have many many names with them
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Originally posted by DimitryVC
    I have 25+ domains with GoDaddy and their service over the past years has been great.

You can mass edit @ GoDaddy anything you want. They have made quite a few changes to the control panel since I 1st signed up though

But seriously "due to pricing"? Heh $2 difference such a big deal to you? Not trying to bash or anything, but I have a domain with Ev1Servers (bought a domain from a guy & they happened to be the registrar) and their control panel is... horrible in my opinion.

Dimitry
    yes 2.00 is a BIG deal for me with the amount of registrations i do.

why should it be in their pocket and not mine?

if it isnt a big deal, then maybe youd like to contact them and ask them to lower it??

if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Most people register domains with eNom and GoDaddy due to their low pricing and secondly features offered.
    ******** - ASP, ASP.NET. Windows 2008 Hosting - Windows Reseller Plans

1 Exabyte = two to the sixtieth power byte, 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes

I like eNom's flexibility when I move servers -- change the DNS and the accounts on new server are visible within 2-3 minutes, not the 2-3 days if I had to do it as a normal nameserver change.

BTW, RegisterFly is an eNom reseller.

Originally posted by LaurenStephens
    yes 2.00 is a BIG deal for me with the amount of registrations i do.

why should it be in their pocket and not mine?

if it isnt a big deal, then maybe youd like to contact them and ask them to lower it??

huh? I dont understand your last sentence but ok.
    Of course if youre doing bulk registers, $2 comes in as an important player.

In the end, there are a few great companies. There are 'horror stories' with all of them and its just up to your own preferences when it comes to deciding with which you want to go (all have ups and downs in what they offer).

I DO NOT consider Ev1 one of those great companies (Prices and greatness arent always related).

Just something I thought of while replying:
    If your register 100 domains with Ev1 and then think "Whoops, I need to change name servrs on all of them", good luck! You get what you paid for.

Dimitry

I registered with e-nom with a view to using Registry Rocket. The agreement they sent me said I had to credit my account with $495. I didn't think this was necessary for RR. What I want is a reseller account with low overheads with reasonable domain costs etc - spose it's too much to ask

I've used several registrars in the past, and I found eNom to have the best prices. It's also very easy to use, the interface isn't cluttered, they offer good support, and offer everything (if not more) that most registrars do.

I've got a ton of domains registered through GoDaddy and I love them. The control panel is top notch in my opinion, and I've never had problem 1 with anything I've ever wanted to do. Propogation has always been very quick for me.

Originally posted by lintbox
    I used GoDaddy due to the price at first, but overall now I host all of my domains there. Excellent service, ease of use in the control panel, I find they do everything I need a registrar to.
    Yep, me too. Same reason.

Originally posted by acec
    I registered with e-nom with a view to using Registry Rocket. The agreement they sent me said I had to credit my account with $495. I didn't think this was necessary for RR. What I want is a reseller account with low overheads with reasonable domain costs etc - spose it's too much to ask
    You don't need any funds in your account to use Registry Rocket so long as you agree to their credit card processing terms.
    Matt Walters
    http://mattwalters.net/ - Weblog

GoDaddy is cheap, enom has a professional ore about it

Take a very close look at the user interface.

we used to use register.com and then they switched to a horrible new software system so we started shopping and we looked at enom and discovered that the "horrible" system register.com uses is actually a private-label version of enom except with higher prices.

Go Daddy (aka Wild West domains) has an excellent software system. It is very straightforward and unlike enom, has some "salesmanship" in the way it presents the options you choose to offer.

enom is just a textual, cluttered, and very confusing to use user interface that doesn't add any value and detracts.

We have many clients that can't figure out how to change anything using the enom interface and are stuck when they try to renew their domain.

I had a couple problems with godaddy that caused business to stop for a few days. I went to update my nameservers and found they had a new layout/design. I made my nameserver changes....

waited for propagation - then checked back 48 hours later to find that my changes had been thrown out as they reverted back to their old design. So I then had to make my changes a second time!

As for enom - never used em. Though from a reseller aspect I will be using them - free api. Godaddy/wildwest charges like 500 bucks or something insane. I forget...

And ev1servers...I love them. Sure their control panel isn't all prettied up with pictures of people and other crap I don't care about...but thats what so great. I log in - I click my mouse maybe once or twice and I'm done. real straight forward control panel without all the BS of click mazes and non domain/account related content. Its exactly what it is...a control panel.

I use both GoDaddy and Enom. GoDaddy is where I do all my personal registrations and I have a Enom reseller for doing my clients registrations. I also have 2 domain with Ev1 which were registered during their $5 special.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all registrars. If all comes down to preference in the end.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

I guess I should have been more specific with my original post. I am part of an orginization which is considering the possibility of becoming an accreditted registrar. We are very interested in what the WebHostingTalk community considers a "perfect" registrar to be.
    http://www.kolbsoft.com
    http://www.erichkolb.com
    http://www.providenames.com

Godaddy is the easiest and the best for me

Why?

With a huge up-front accreditation fee, minimum requirements for processing system and equipment, coupled with thin margins in a super-competitive category, why become your own registrar?

If for captive in-house capability, .e.g part of a carrier or very large hosting/services business, I can see where it could add efficiency or more self-control, but to become yet-another-registrar and compete with Godaddy/WildWildWest, eNom, and the others already fighting it out doesn't seem like the best way to make money if you are not already a player.

We make very little as an affiliate now; the only reason we offer registration at all is because it is easier to offer it than to spend a hour explaining to a client how to go somewhere else and do it and then still have to teach them how to modify name servers before their site can be hosted.

Originally posted by phpcoder21
    I guess I should have been more specific with my original post. I am part of an orginization which is considering the possibility of becoming an accreditted registrar. We are very interested in what the WebHostingTalk community considers a "perfect" registrar to be.

I would recommend aplus.net domain registrar services. They have the BEST customer support of any domain registrar I have EVER used and I have used a lot of registrars down through the years.

-Kevin

Aplus.net registration is owned by a hosting company.

Why would a host use a competitor for domain registration?

Aplus.net also has very mixed reviews - check the archives.

I registered one of my own domains and two days later one of their sales droids called me up telemarketing their hosting services - to a hosting company!

Do you really want to use a company that trolls all public domain registrations and then unleashes telemarketing droids to call YOUR clients without your permission.

I shudder to think what they do when you use them directly for registration!

Originally posted by mabblemedia
    I would recommend aplus.net domain registrar services. They have the BEST customer support of any domain registrar I have EVER used and I have used a lot of registrars down through the years.

-Kevin

Originally posted by acec
    Why didn't you sign up for a free $8.95 account under another reseller? No deposit required if you were going to use only RR.
    Founder of TradeHolding.com B2B Network and OneLoveNet.com Singles & Dating
    >> Business Blog
    >> Business Links Directory

Personally, I use godaddy for my domains because of the price, but use our enom ETP account for our biz even though its $3-4/domain higher just because it integrates into our billing system.