Question on PHP design of a current site - how do they do this?

I have a question regarding how the website was setup. It is done with PHP, but I've never seen it done in the fashion that it has before. It seems if you hover your mouse over any of the links that instead of a page, each link is in it's own directory somewhat -- example:

Now.. are each of those their OWN directory? /cs/ would be a directory with a /user/ directory.. and then say a /signout/ directory and a /bio/ directory each with a index.php? And from there that index page just calls the config.php or whatever from a previous directory? Or what?

And how do they get the userID after the /user/#### part.. it seems that the user ID is in its own folder, but if you try to access say a fake id by typing a random number, it'll say that # doesn't exist, which makes be believe its not a directory...

Can anyone shed some light on this, I've never seen any PHP coding/programming like this..

It's more than likely done with Apache's mod_rewrite and not php.

It's a combination of mod_rewrite and php. It's fairly common practice nowadays.

The Drupal CMS has this feature built-in (default off)
    Adventures in - Are you a parent? Listen to the free podcast and sign up for the newsletter!

I don't use mod_rewrite for this things, I take off the file extension (and force it to PHP) and then just parse the query string after it. Mean it will work on any Apache web server regardless of whether mod_rewrite is installed or not. Not sure but possibly less server intensive as well (although I wouldn't expect by much).