Question Question about Copyrights

I've got a question about Copyrights.

Say you have a reseller account with a company, how would you deal with AUP's and TOS'? You are bound by their TOS', so would it be against copyright laws to cut and paste their TOS' as yours, just changing the names? since technically they are bout to the TOS that your bound to by the company?

If you want to copy your host's TOS, the best thing to do is just ask them. Most don't mind.

Otherwise, you can just write your own, making sure your TOS is along the same lines as your host's.
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

You should definitely check with your provider and ask if you can use their TOS. Chances are they'll say yes. Whatever rules you are bound to, as a reseller of that company, your clients must also be bound to. Don't blindly copy your providers TOS, read through it, make sure it's appropriate for what you're intending to use it for, and the instate it.

Edit: Doh! P-Nut beat me to it!

...and make sure you remove your host's company name before you put it on your site and look like an idiot.

They always say yes too...

They will almost ALWAYS say yes too!

BUt I think it would be best to write your won after reading through and complying with YOUR provider. Usually you can shorten it to meet your clients' needs and expectations without the massive amounts of legalese that your provider feels is necdessary.

If you plan on becoming a big player though, have a lawyer work with you...

So say I read theirs and find some stuff in there i don't deem necisarry, and remove them, and some stuff I want to add that's not there, would that then count as a "Signifigant Change"?

I have no problem asking my provider, Im just curious to know this.

would that then count as a "Signifigant Change"?
    I don't think so, but I'm not a lawyer. Just ask your provider... 99% they will let you use it and modify it as you please.

If you are a reseller, you will almost CERTAINLY NOT want to remove any conditions and use your hosts TOS/AUP. Why? Because YOU must abide by those rules, thus so must your clients. Your clients must follow the same rules as you have to with your host. That's why most hosts will let resellers copy their TOS/AUP. You may at your discretion though, add new terms to it though.

Best bet would be to contact your host and ask them what they think.

The TOS in question has some interesting stipulations, such as you must provide in writing notice to cancel your account 60 days prior to the date you want it terminated. I want to remove/change that.

Stuff about managed servers, and other features they provide me, but im not providing my customers. That's what i mean by removing.

As for adding my own terms, i'll add my cancelation policy, contact policy, yadi yadi yadi.

You get the point.

Thanks for your help.

Your parent host will most likely permit you to do this. Just ask them. The only parts you may want to edit are references to your own payment plans & terms. The other major one are terms covering your own local laws (if any, ie. if you're in a different country to your host).