Web Hosting Help

I don't know if this is the right forum to post in, but I need some help. I just bought a domain from Godaddy.com (Go go, not no go) and I need some help.

I need to configure my nameservers, but I need 2 IP addresses. I'm running on a wireless network (I know it's going to be slow, but I'm not expecting that much traffic)

Anyways, I need to get another IP address to my server, but I'm not 100% sure how to. Is there anyway to change the suffix on the server IP address? Or do I have to assign a whole other IP address?

I'm running Windows 2000 Server, if that helps.

And I'm kind of a newb at this, it's my first web server, and I've had little experience with this kind of stuff.

Thanks for any advice.

Ask your datacenter for the 2nd IP firstly..

I'm not doing it that way. I'm hosting it myself. I'm running a DNS server.

use zoneedit.com or granitecanyon.com for your dns... they're both free. zoneedit is easier to use and free for the first 5 domains, granitecanyon you must actually know a little more about how to set up zone files, but they're totally free

Originally posted by DrWingnutPhD
    I'm not doing it that way. I'm hosting it myself. I'm running a DNS server.
    In that case mkc's advice would be most suitable..

Well, I'm on granitecanyon.com now, and I signed up, but it's asking for RRs. What is that? It says it's for DNS data. What data is there?

I was going to host the DNS server on my server, but this looks easier. Should I use granitecanyon or should I do it myself? It granitecanyon good?

granitecanyon and zoneedit are both pretty reliable

zoneedit makes things a lot easier though, check it out and see if you still have trouble

I am trying it as we speak, it says there is a 200MB/ month limit, that doesn't mean bandwidth, does it?

it's dns bandwidth, not your files... dns queries are usually cached, and they're quite small anyways.. i believe the zoneedit site says 200mb is good for about 1mil queries, which after caching translates to a lot of hits

Go into the Godaddy Control Panel and click on set up name servers, and from there you can put in the name server that you want the IP that the name server will be on.

Ok, I got that part down, and I got my nameservers, but now I have a problem of putting them in. I put the new nameservers in (it was parked before) but I can't put the IP address in for zoneedit. It says that the nameserver changes make take up to 48 hours to take effect, but will it also change the default DNS host name so I can input the IP address?

Also, when I get all that done, how do I tie it into my web server?