HOst owns my name - what can I do?

Hello,
    I have a domain that was registered back in 1995. I amhaving problems with my host. When I checked the WhoIS info, it turns out that they are listed as the admin contact, etc. How can I get my domain back?

I've seen several posts on this subject before and everyone says you will have to fight them...but I am unclear on what to do to fight them. Is this covered under the UDRP?

thanks!

What did they say when you contacted them? Do you have proof that you paid for the domain?

It's very complicated...but the short answer is no I do have proof because it was so long ago. And the site was rgistered by the then web-developer. I have no way to get in contact with them. The only "proof" I have is that you can see it was my site from the internet archives.

Tough call. Maybe you'll learn your lesson with the next domain.

I am not an advocate of using your web host as your registrar. I always try to keep the 2 seperate
    Domain Maven

Yes I learned the hard way

After I posted earlier today, I did find 2 UDRP decisions that favored the Complaint. Each resutled in the domain being transfered back to them.

sselden, to do that you have to provide plenty of evidence. Did you contact your host - whom you have been paying since 1995 - to compare financial records? How did you pay for all this? Follow the money trail and best of luck.

You can also escalate it to your hosts registrars the resell the services for. Perhaps they can assist
    Domain Maven

who is paying for your hosting ?

if its you then i think you can prove its your domain.

is the email at the administrative contact is you?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Do you have access to the hosts control panel? If yes make sure all billing info is updated and in your name. Then email the host company and ask if they are prepared to sell you the name. If they reply with an amount that seems reasonable for you then take them up on it. If you are unable to update the billing info at the host then you are going to face a much harder task. From the host's point of view if they get an email from someone who is not on their billing records to change ownership of the domain they would be crazy to comply.
    Last edited by dotti; 03-23-2004 at 03:42 PM.

Unfortunately this stuff happens more than I like to think. It's important to always read everything!

Is the domain name your company name? Did you trademark your company name? All of these can be factors, but not if it's generic like...pen.com or something like that.