Is mod_security worth it?

Hello,

I've installed mod_security but had to turn most of the secfilters off because when they are on simple things like forums dont even work without getting 500's.

I'm just wondering, is mod_security really worth having as overhead on apache if most of the secfilters arent on? Does mod_security still filter bad requests even without having secfilter tags for specific things?

Thanks,
    Dan

Greetings Dan:

We've found that if you have the time and the experience going through log files, that the proper set up of mod_security can be worth while.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

OK thank you, but lets say I have these rules enabled:

SecFilterCheckURLEncoding On
    SecFilterForceByteRange 1 255
    SecAuditEngine RelevantOnly
    SecFilterScanPOST On

# Protecting from XSS attacks through the PHP session cookie
    SecFilterSelective ARG_PHPSESSID "!^[0-9a-z]*$"
    SecFilterSelective COOKIE_PHPSESSID "!^[0-9a-z]*$"

SecFilter /bin/cc
    SecFilter /bin/gcc
    SecFilter /usr/bin/wget

------------

So my question is, will mod_security only filter what I have in the rules above or does it provide additional security that isnt based on rules (ie, defaults in program).

With the rules I have above, is having mod_security installed worth the overhead on apache?

Greetings:

1. Read the manual at http://www.modsecurity.org/documenta...nual-1.7.4.pdf to find out what mod_security does and does not filter.

2. We find the overhead is not even noticible on the servers we manage (approximately 50).

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile