Fastest forum software: phpBB, VB, or IPB?

What is the fastest software? If someone could provide me with some links to tests or experiments run, that'd be great.... there seems no solid defination on what forum software runs the fastest......

I would guess phpBB is the fastest, but I have no proof. Anyways, thanks in advance!

I have used phpbb and now I use vb. I think vb runs faster for the amount of features and information is processes.
    Jamie
    RadicalV.com High Velocity Hosting Services - Since 1999
    Hsphere Linux & Windows Hosting ~ Automated Reseller Plans ~ EasyApp Collection

I would think in open source context, phpBB. In paid context, vB.

If you don't add mods, I think they're very close. You'd have to try all three on the same server to really know.
    bigwrench

i think vb is without a doubt faster. fast enough to justify the cost? maybe?
    jubba joo!

i think ipb is the fastest of the three. vb is slightly slower but it has more features. phpbb is last without a doubt

Is there any articles on the net that debate this? Or that have actual proof behind their reasonings?

i like phpBB a lot, mainly because its GPL.

phorum is faster than all of those three, however.
    Gone.

Is there any articles that are on the net that actually have any proof or timings or anything?

All those opinions are baseless.
    To compare speed you should check what software is used by largest forums: http://www.big-boards.com/

largest phpBB is 4th in that list,
    largest vBulletin is 15th,
    largest IPB is 127th

phpBB all the way. Although I do reccomend you vBulletin. vBulletin makes it very easy to modify and update templates.

cyberalien, how does how many posts a forum has determine it's speed? the title of this topic is which forum is the fastest

If you sort by message traffic, you'll see that vBulletin is the most used across big boards. phpBB and IPB trail behind about evenly.
    bigwrench

Originally posted by Rahde
    cyberalien, how does how many posts a forum has determine it's speed? the title of this topic is which forum is the fastest
    It simply shows what forums are capable of holding many users/posts. vBulletin and phpBB are used on large boards and can handle large load, Invision can't.

Thanks CyberAlien, that link provided useful.

cyberalien, that proves nada
    phpbb and vbulletin have been around for much much longer than invisionboard so obviously older boards will be using one of those two forums and have more posts.

if all 3 forums were released at the same time, then those stats could be used to compared which "big boards" use what. also being able to handle large loads depends on the server, not as much as the forum software. all 3 are php and mysql so i don't see how you got your logic

at least i have some logic. other posts don't have any logic at all - just post their opinions.

IMHO vB is the best.. IPB is the fastest.

I definitely prefer vb from what I've used so far

the vb hacking resources are amazing, too

The load for number of posts is really a function of your database server.

The frequency of posts, however, is a function of your bulletin board.

You may want to include www.simplemachines.org in the mix... not an official release yet but beta seems very fast IMO.

I think IPB is better than phpBB.I have never tried VB .
    "life is like a mail
    sometimes u just dont get it"

i have personal experience using and modding for both vb and ipb and i would say ipb uses faster code
    Email : ben.summers@gmail.com | AIM : beeeeeeeeeeeeeen | MSN : ben@bensummers.net