* Bad Experience with ServerMatrix

Saturday at about 3:00 PM EST, I rebooted my server as I was noticing weird behavior and it didnít come back up. About 10 minutes later, I opened a reboot request ticket with ServerMatrix and about an hour past before they attempted to reboot it. The tech said that it wasnít starting and just closed the ticket saying it had errors coming up. Shortly after, I opened a new ticket stating what the other ticket said, and the this tech was much more helpful and stated that it appeared that I had the ELF virus because many others in the datacenter had the same problem. I suggested that it could be a hard drive failure due to weird performance issues and crashes over the last couple weeks but there was no response.

I opened an OS Reload ticket, and waited. After about 3 hours, I emailed Angela about the issue and received no response. The following morning, we called the datacenter and we were told that we were 20th in line for an OS reload. They promised that it would be up that evening. At 9pm Sunday, we contacted ServerMatrix and they said that they were working on our server and that it would be up within the next couple hours. The server never came online, so we gave them another ring. They claimed we had a hard drive failure and that they were replacing the drive.

Out of curiosity and doubt that they were even working on the server, I opened a ticket asking what position we were in for an OS reload. At about 3 AM Monday morning, the tech said that we were 9th in line and that they were backed up from the MS Blaster worm. We were blatantly lied to. We were curteous to their staff at al times, so I really canít see any justification for this.

It is now 10 AM EST and I still havenít had my server reloaded and from what I understand I am still paying $75 for a system restore. I am rather worried about what is going on here. On the second drive, I am afraid that they may reformat the wrong drive and lose all the data on that server and severely crippling our customers of their data. I chose ServerMatrix because of their excellent reputation and we currently have a few servers with them; I am afraid that I will have to start looking for a new host if they do not resolve this issue promptly with proper compensation.
    Last edited by 2uantuM; 03-22-2004 at 11:10 AM.

hehehe they need to do a server reload for the MS Blaster....lol strangeeeee.

But yeh...that doesn't sound very good at all.

We had similar problems. It hasn't been so bad since, but for two days of downtime we were not their most happy customers.

They did a Kernel upgrade and then the thing wouldn't start, we even had to pay for the OS reinstall for a problem that we had not caused. The same problem today after they did a Kernel upgrade, except htat this time they managed to boot into the old Kernel.

It's such a shame because network and hardware-wise they have been good.
    Web design London - Ideal Websites

Well, let's see... my story...
    Ordered a server, was told it would take 24 hours. 24 hours later, I called every 4 hours asking for updates. Responses went from "router problems and we don't know what to do" to "it's in the provisioning stage" to "sorry, we'll start provisioning now". After the last response, it went online after 2-3 hours.

Then the CPanel license... it said to wait 24 hours for one. So I waited, and 24 hours later, I called, and they said they would do it then. It took maybe 10 minutes?

So essentially, everytime they did something, it was after calling them so that they could start on it then.

Now server's down, filed a reboot ticket, ticket closed after it was said to be rebooted, and right now, i still get no response from the server whatsoever.
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women

Damn. I'm really starting to get concerned about my server there. When it works it's all good, but man, I'm scared something might break.

bad luck.
    i have 2 servers and so far 2 monthes with out problems.
    i am only afaird to have my kernel upgraded and if fails i would say its not SM problem because i know redhat Ent3 has a problem with the latest kernels spcialy with hyperthreading.

Originally posted by eniki
    We had similar problems. It hasn't been so bad since, but for two days of downtime we were not their most happy customers.

They did a Kernel upgrade and then the thing wouldn't start, we even had to pay for the OS reinstall for a problem that we had not caused. The same problem today after they did a Kernel upgrade, except htat this time they managed to boot into the old Kernel.

It's such a shame because network and hardware-wise they have been good.
    if this is exactly happend as you stated here contact YourHost am sure he will get you back your cash, but only and only if it was the tech fult.
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by BizB
    bad luck.
    i have 2 servers and so far 2 monthes with out problems.
    i am only afaird to have my kernel upgraded and if fails i would say its not SM problem because i know redhat Ent3 has a problem with the latest kernels spcialy with hyperthreading.
    Man take my word on this just dont do it now, you dont want to cry, wait untill this totaly solved then only think about it, having a working server is much better than having tear in eyes.
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Yes I agree too, don't go with them

because if something happens, god forbid you need a server reboot or kernel

reboots take hours with them, in hosting business this is not accetpable.

kernels I don't even want to think

We use to have 8 servers with them but we pulled out after their delays with issues.

support tickets would take 24+ hours

they simply don't care

for the recorde i asked to upgrade both server and i aasked them to do it if its 100% safe and they did it in 1 hour or some and every thing looks ok.
    and they where verey kind iin there answers which i belive there support is verey disent compaired to other companys and for the low price/great network they have.
    so far i am quite happy with SM and i just hope my luck does not change

Originally posted by HasWeb
    Yes I agree too, don't go with them

because if something happens, god forbid you need a server reboot or kernel

reboots take hours with them, in hosting business this is not accetpable.

kernels I don't even want to think

We use to have 8 servers with them but we pulled out after their delays with issues.

support tickets would take 24+ hours

they simply don't care
    I disagree, in my experience they DO care and they are well-qualified, it sounds as if they are simply understaffed and trying to cover their butts for a few bad situations. Who of us has ever squirmed when the spotlight was on us and a customer was calling us on a carpet? All of us. So while I don't condone the B.S. it seems a few folks at SM tend to pass off, I also don't know the tone or questions of the caller. Keep in mind we are only hearing one side of the story.

Theoretically is it ever "okay" to lie? Ideally, no. But does it happen every minute of every day in the business world? You bet. Any given situation can go any number of ways, depending on a ton of variables. We are only seeing a fraction of the variables here.

In my own experience, I've only had to call for a reboot once, and it was done in 24 minutes. I opened a ticket and then followed it up with a phone call. Karen took the call, went to the d.c., attempted a reboot, discovered a software error that was preventing services from coming back up, repaired it and rebooted again, and service was restored within... 24 minutes.

I've worked with a number of data centers and that's a fine response time on a reboot, anywhere.

Over the years, I've seen lazy techs, techs with a shoddy work ethic, etc. etc. I've yet to see anything that suggests such at Server Matrix. Are their responses sometimes slow and have mistakes been made? Sure. However anything that I needed to raise in priority, was resolved quickly with a simple polite phone call. As for the mistakes, they weren't anything I haven't done myself, and they've been very occasional. *shrug* No complaints here.

Bailey
    Last edited by bithost(NET); 03-24-2004 at 02:48 AM.
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

As a side-note, in regards to the hyperthreading/kernel issue, on our last 2 servers we purposely chose P4's without hyperthreading so that we would not have to deal with those performance problems.

An unstable server is a burden upon everyone but we chose a solid hardware platform for running RHES, quite by design.

It's as much about our server choice, as the people who admin it on-site. Solid config's don't need a lot of hand-holding.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.