Live Streaming Media

I've been asked to setup a live streaming media server for the daycare that our owner runs (we're an electronic catalog programming company) so he can have live NANNY-CAM available over the internet.

My question is has anybody ever set something like this up? Do you think Windows 2003 Server with Streaming Media services installed will do the trick?

yea, Windows streaming media service is good.. but it of course depends on the camera (if it can support it)

A.

Originally posted by MStar
    www.shoutcast.com
    Shoutcast only supports audio, not video.

- Matt

Originally posted by mainarea
    Shoutcast only supports audio, not video.

- Matt
    NSV my son - uses the same servers as ShoutCast
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

I posted a link to NSV, but the post was removed? Maybe it was a different topic.

http://www.nullsoft.com/nsv/
    --

Originally posted by Sash!
    NSV my son - uses the same servers as ShoutCast
    I didn't think NSV was able to work in real-time though, but it looks like it actually does - http://www.nullsoft.com/nsv/ (Making and/or streaming your own NSVs using our NSV Tools)

I haven't worked with Windows servers before, but Windows 2003 with streaming tools should work.

- Matt

Originally posted by mainarea
    I didn't think NSV was able to work in real-time though, but it looks like it actually does - http://www.nullsoft.com/nsv/ (Making and/or streaming your own NSVs using our NSV Tools)

I haven't worked with Windows servers before, but Windows 2003 with streaming tools should work.

- Matt
    Here are easier instructions
    http://www.scvi.net/liveenc.htm

Save yourself some time and purchase one of the hundreds of security systems that are purpose built for this application. They support multiple cameras, user authentication and archival tools that'll do exactally what you want.

hey...can anyone tell me which security cameras/systems support asf encoding ? Usually they all are propiertary software/video format

thanks

Most security systems use motion JPEG or a video conferencing codec like h.323 or h.263. I've yet to see one that streams in the ASF format.

NSV is still officially in beta and not for the inexperienced.

I would strongly recommend Win2k3 and WMS9.0 It is VERY easy to use, VERY easy to set up, and MUCH cheaper than a dedicated security system.

You can also easily archive the broadcast if you like and easily set up users for authentication by IP, access control list, etc.

jas3

Originally posted by simkiss
    NSV is still officially in beta and not for the inexperienced.
    I do agree with that comment very much. We are forever getting people requsting help to use it and it is very complicated even if you are a professional with ShoutCast.

It will probably be in BETA forever thanks to AOHell owning Nulsoft now
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

If you don't need anything very technical, and want to just do a simple lo-fi bandwidth stream from a day care center, why not save yourself a lot of time and trouble and go buy a used Mac and an iSight camera? They make it pretty easy to set things up to stream over QuickTime, and you don't need a huge infrastructure. If you prefer to go with the Windows option you'll have more control and scalability. Just avoid trying to stream anything at all with Real.
    Christian Dawson Exectuive Director and Co-Founder, i2Coalition
    The i2Coalition is comprised of small to medium cloud providers, data centers, registrars, registries and other foundational Internet enterprises. Join today!
    Follow us on Twitter @i2coalition or checkout our forum!