Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down ServInt VPS Issue's - Before you buy.....READ

Well we took the step of trying out ServInt.com VPS solution.

Let me say before the review we've done hosting for our business with the following the companies:

1. sirius.com pre-98
    2. isp.net
    3. fastmetrics.com
    4. yahoo.com
    5. aussiehosts.com
    6. kualo.com
    7. dathorn.com

Hosting is not our business but we maintain multiple domains and providers.

This will not be a positive review.

We signed up with ServInt VPS with great expectations only to be let down.

First off after we signed up with our new account before we even got off the ground when logging into the account we found the VPS running at about 70-96% of CPU capacity. We had NOT even done anything yet!

When we questioned this we were told that blah blah blah......
    Basically we were put on an oversold server...

ServInt supports spammers...The IP's we were delegated were all blacklisted as spam...Google ServInt and Spam...All their IP's are blacklisted and you'll find this out after you sign-up for their service and when you get access to their forums you'll read all about it after the fact...

VPS at ServInt is still in BETA format - On one occasion the entire server was down for 1.5 days .... UP DOWN UP DOWN UP DOWN....

WE CANCELL SERVICE.....

No doubt that Reed was gracious on the cancellation...Thanks to Mr. CEO...As if there was a choice in our finalized decision...

BUT...

Within 48 hours of the cancellation of the service the e-mail account that was used for all contact was soon to be deluged with a wave of SPAM e-mails...and still is after the fact

I hate spammers and the fact that spam was introduced on this account that was used for ServInt only within 48hours after account cancellation makes us sick....What the F***...

If your going to go for a VPS account make sure to ask questions BEFORE the sign-up...and use the search feature on both google and WHT...

Regards,
    Big Slice Pizza

PS......... DON'T SUPPORT SPAMMERS

Well, with guaranteed 256 MB minimum RAM, and with all private servers already running on your VPS, 70-96% usage of CPU capacity seems to me normal, especially if you were uploading your site.

Yes, spam is really bad.

* Re: ServInt VPS Issue's - Before you buy.....READ

Well we took the step of trying out ServInt.com VPS solution.

I am in the same position. I am currently checken VPS soultions of different IPS. Currently ServInt.

>we found the VPS running at about >70-96% of CPU capacity. We had NOT >even done anything yet!
    You know the difference between a VPS and a dedicated Server, right? The usage was 70-965? the whole month?
    Or how long did you monitor the cpu usage? Perhaps the Virtuozzo VPS software still needs a few tweaks.

>Basically we were put on an oversold >server...
    Not in my case. But it would help if you could point out which VPS solution you choosed and which Panelsoftware you used.

>ServInt supports spammers...The IP's >we were delegated were all >blacklisted as spam...Google ServInt
    Thats not a fault of ServInt. You can identify Spammers on your server only after they spammed the world. The maintainers of blacklists often forget to remove IP ranges. And a provider cannot change ip blocks like underwear.

>VPS at ServInt is still in BETA format - >On one occasion the entire server was >down for 1.5 days .... UP DOWN UP >DOWN UP DOWN....
    Currently the VPS is in good shape. When did you signed up and when did you cancel? Feb? March?
    Which VPS provider are you currently checking out?

>I hate spammers and the fact that >spam was introduced on this account >that was used for ServInt only within >48hours after account cancellation >makes us sick....What the F***...
    Well I cannot prove you wrong, but I think people are to quick to accuse others of being the one responsible for providing their email for spam. Only the spammer is responsible for spam. And spam reaches you emailaccount even if you don't provide the address to anyone because spammers guess you email or you got a catchall account.

To sum it up: Currently ServInt shows a good performance in server and support. After using them for a few weeks it's still to early to recommend them. But they can handle their VPS solution. The whole industry is moving from shared hosting to reseller hosting to vps hosting. I won't expect a rocksolid vps solution till the end of 2004. You cannot learn expericence - that is leason I learned after 8 years of outsourcing hosting to the US.

Jens

Greetings,
    I am a customer of ServInt VPs solution and have been very happy with their service and support. It is true there was a couple of days that there were having trouble with high server loads on the server my vps was on. They did keep me informed through out the entire issue and I was given constant updates. One must always remember, that a vps product does have a ceiling of resources. When you sign up you know how much RAM you are getting and generally how much CPU. What can drag down a machine is when someone sets up their machine to costantly burst above what is considered your 'soft' limit. I believe the vps product is not for everybody needs. Some simply require a dedicated box so they can use all of the resources. In chatting with Reed by email he has been excellent to me! My questions were handled quickly and with an answer I could understand. Reed has always been up front and honest with me. I myself will continue to recommend ServtInt and their VPS product line. Anyone needing further answers on the their vps product ask here or pm me.
    Ed
    Note... ServInt does not nor will they ever knowingly support SPAM!

Ive been with them for 3 months or so now, the only time Ive ever seen the cpu useage go up was when I added about 120mb of images to a gallery script and it created thumbnails etc for them.
    Ive never had an issue with ips being blacklisted nor recieving spam from their network or on addresses on their network. I reccomended them to a friend who signed up and has experienced the same excellent service.
    I do recognise they had issues with one server having hardware issues which they dealt with. This is hardly their fault and they use top notch kit.
    I have never had issues you have had with servers being up and down, ive noticed ive lost an ftp session when being moved between serversbut it auto resumed. Thats it.
    I dont doubt you have experienced issues but I believe they are isolated and I know that when Ive mentioned an issue to them Ive never been fobbed off.

Reed and his guys n gals are a class act, its a pleasure to work with them and experience such professionalism. After fdc and dathorn they are a refreshing change and well worth the money.
    --
    Rich

Let me just say before replying to your review, that I have been in the internet business since early '97 and have hosted with the following companies:

bluegravity.com
    cybercon.com
    he.net
    splitinfinity.net
    national-net.com
    ion-web.com (currently have a reseller account since 2/10/2004)
    simpli.biz (currently have a reseller account since 2/12/2004)
    servint.net (been there for over a year now)

I have a VPS at Servint and it's been rock solid. I have over 160 of my own domains on that server, and my livlihood depends on a good server, good network, and a good management team, and that is exactly what I get at Servint. In fact, it's beyond good, the above has been excellent.

ServInt supports spammers
    That is a pretty hefty accusation. I do not believe at ALL that Servint supports spammers. They would never risk their excellent reputation to support spammers. Better provide us some proof instead of just spouting out from your mouth.

Re: ServInt VPS Issue's - Before you buy.....READ

Originally posted by PizzaHut
    Within 48 hours of the cancellation of the service the e-mail account that was used for all contact was soon to be deluged with a wave of SPAM e-mails...and still is after the fact

I hate spammers and the fact that spam was introduced on this account that was used for ServInt only within 48hours after account cancellation makes us sick....What the F***...

PS......... DON'T SUPPORT SPAMMERS
    This is the most ridiculous accusation I've ever heard in my life. You honestly think we sold your email address? I appreciate the fact that you had a tough time and were on a VPS server that was having some issues, but that's beside the point. Think of this with some logic. ServInt does millions of dollars in business and not because we have a ton of customers who cancel. Do you seriously think I'd put my company's reputation on the line and pander a decade of hard work to get a few cents a month from selling ex-customer email address?

Spam just happens. I get ten thousand a week to my email box, which frankly makes me sick too. Any new email account I create does indeed get spammed within days, if not hours. You are certainly entitled to your opinions in your review and I'll let ServInt's other customers speak to those. But this is not an opinion, thus you're hearing from me.
    ServInt
    Providing Managed VPS for over 11 years
    Managed Dedicated Servers for almost 19 years!
    http://www.servint.net

Re: Re: ServInt VPS Issue's - Before you buy.....READ

Originally posted by JensL

>ServInt supports spammers...The IP's
    >we were delegated were all
    >blacklisted as spam...Google ServInt

Thats not a fault of ServInt.

Of course it is. Some of their spammers, such as mailgravity and its various aliases, are long-term customers who they refuse to do anything about.

You can identify Spammers on your server only after they spammed the world.
    Untrue. Google, spamhaus, and a dozen other resources are your friend.

The maintainers of blacklists often forget to remove IP ranges.
    Untrue. "Occasionally" is the word you're looking for here.

And a provider cannot change ip blocks like underwear.
    A provider shouldn't have to unless they're trying to duck something.

-B
    iptables -I INPUT -s 64.88.128.0/19 -j DROP
    iptables -I INPUT -s 66.111.192.0/18 -j DROP
    iptables-save > /etc/sysconfig/iptables

PizzaHut

Always nice to see comments by others when considering a new vendor (as I am this AM) but your post doesn't do much to sway me. For one, you didn't stay very long? When you move into a new apartment, Murphy's law dictates that the air conditioner or water heater will fail - that's life!

2, you don't seem to be familiar with the mechanics of spam, so your rant has to be taken as such.

At this time, I'm waiting for a call back from Jennifer at ServInt to order a vps myself. If anyone would like to remind me in a few weeks, I'll be happy to report my experience.

Re: Re: Re: ServInt VPS Issue's - Before you buy.....READ

Originally posted by TMX
    Of course it is. Some of their spammers, such as mailgravity and its various aliases, are long-term customers who they refuse to do anything about.
    could you elaborate on this? Either side....

Just to add my comments (check out prior posts by me to see who else I've hosted with and what my comments were):

I signed up with ServInt several months ago and I have mixed feelings about the VPS product. When it is running properly, which has been the vast majority of the time, it is awesome - very fast. Also, from everything I can tell, ServInt's network has been extremely fast and I haven't noticed any network downtime.

With the few minor problems that I've had, ServInt was fantastic with support in getting the issues resolved - they responded to emails within minutes (or answered the phone and responded when I've felt a need to call), and one time even went beyond what I'd consider expected - my VPS was getting hammered by one specific IP address. I was at work, and unable to deal with the issue beyond recognizing it was present. I emailed them about this, and within minutes got a reply that they blocked that IP address in my httpd.conf file. I personally find that very impressive.

The negatives have been rare, but bordering on being substantial. The most significant have been a few days of a sluggish server - my VPS loads were very high, yet my traffic hadn't changed. First suggestions I had from the NOC were that my scripts were exceeding resources. I disabled some scripts, but the site was still sluggish. Then they suggested that I was still exceeding resources, so I tried increasing the package I was on - still with no change. Then they said there were some other problems, including a problem with the hard drive where they were going to reformat things. fortunately, with a RAID drive (I don't understand this stuff too much), the system didn't actually go down, but was just a little slower than usual. Most recently, they have said they were going to move all people off of the particular VPS server because there are some problems that they can not fully resolve - or something along those lines. The server actually has been fine the last week or so. They still haven't moved me off the server, and I'm not sure they are still planning on that - I know I could email them and get a response in minutes, which is probably what I'll do after posting this.

The whole experience that they do not seem to fully understand (or at least do not want to tell us) what happened to cause the high server loads is concerning. In spite of that, the site never totally went down (except the scripts that I disabled for no reason), it was only sluggish for a few days (and almost entirely during a weekend), and with the VPS back to baseline, it is really an awesome product.

And, by the way, I have noticed that I have had emails rejected from my site because my IP addresses are listed in SPEWS - there was a long explanation by ServInt in their forums, but I didn't understand it all. It sounded like they were not at fault for the problems and they said to contact them if there were still problems, but again, I didn't understand it all.

So, the bottom line is that right now, if the VPS will continue to run as is, it is perfect for my sites - the right amoung of power for my sites, fast and solid network, and very fast support staff who seem very knowledgable. I am guessing that there is still some kinks that need to be worked out of the VPS model - and ServInt seems to be very dedicated to doing just that.

Given that I went to a VPS for optimum uptime and performance related to a shared hosting environment, I'm obviously disappointed with the sluggish times. I'm always looking at other options, and for those who are interested, here is what I've found:

Hostmatters (who I've used for shared hosting) has offered to give me a large package on one of their powerful shared servers at the same price point. They said they have people on custom shared accounts doing up to 400gb of traffic per month (I'm assuming paying much more than what they said they would charge me). Hostmatters was fantastic as a shared host - I just still don't like the though of sharing a server for stability reasons.

As others have recently posted, Dinix has VPS packages and their dedicated servers are at a significantly lower price point that ServInt's dedicated - if I am going to move up to a dedicated, I'm looking at Dinix, and therefore it'd be reasonable for me to first try their VPS packages to see if they are stable enough.

I've considered dedicated servers - the cost will probably ultimately be worth it and I really think this is where I'm heading. Hostmatters now offers dedicated server packages at a decent price point, but I'm going to have to make sure their level of management will be the same as their shared accounts. Dinix dedicated seems to offer full management at a good price. The last option is getting an inexpensive server at a place like ServerMatrix and hiring a management company for $50-$100 / month. I don't know how ServerMatrix's $50 management plan compares to services like what some of the other management companies are offering for $50-$100 dollars / month.

I apologize for the lengthy response, but I am guessing that others are in the same situation as I am and are trying to make the same decisions - it'd be nice to see what other people have done and how happy they are with their decisions.

For right now, I'm staying with ServInt's VPS and I feel fairly comfortable doing so. If there is still instability without clear explanation and resolution, I'll have to move to a dedicated server. I have this fear that I'll move to a dedicated and wind up with unexpected downtime because it seems unexpected downtime happens everywhere - it's how it is handled that matters and ServInt has been pretty good in that regard (not perfect, but better than most).

Hmm as I understand it you pay virtuozzo by the mhz for the licence. Hence them maxing out the ram and using the fastest subsystems to maximise the cpu power. Yup they had problems with one vps (#5?) and load. I cant say I ever really noticed but I rarely push much through the vps yet (in a few months when some new businesses go online then yes it will test the power). Overall I have been impressed, to me they have always been honest professional and curtious. My personal niggles are it would be nice to have mrtgs for each server, each vps, and the network uplinks and also be able to see global load figures for the vps. I believe however this is on the way and they are just making sure the product is secure and stable.

The part about the riad array I would imagine was them rebuilding the array after a drive failure. This is just where the machine puts the old content back onto a new drive using the information stored in bits on the other drives. Yup it slows things down.

For me the decision to pick servint was their reputation for a quality service and amazing support which I have experienced. Also having seen their great dedicated server offers, the dual xeon isnt far off the offerings from rackshack and others (yes there is less bandwidth) but is fully managed. Their easy upgrade path made great sense to me and was a very important factor.
    --
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by TMX
    I have no first hand knowledge about mailgravity, what they do, or if they actively practice violating ServInt's TOS. When you have millions of dollars in revenue I hardly think risking your reputation over one client is worth the risk, from reading Bob Farmer's post it would appear that he doesn't think it is worth taking that risk either.

I do know that the ServInt Abuse department is highly proactive from first hand experiences. I had a spammer that managed to send out about 80 emails before I caught him One of those emails was reported to ServInt Abuse as Spam. ServInt's abuse department contacted me about this single email report. I demonstrated I had already terminated that particular account and all was well. That certainly doesn't sound like a Datacenter that is Spam friendly by any stretch of the imagination.

While I personally think that any email marketing campaigns are pure evil I also have to concede the fact that there are legitimate mailing lists and email campaigns that take place out there.

For the record I have never received a piece of Spam from any ServInt server (and I report every piece of Spam I get). I also have a number of ServInt IPs and have never had a single issue with any of them being listed.

I suppose there's a reason why some providers have open forums and others do not...

Meaning I can see what's going on before the purchase not after the fact....

forums.servint.net

spews.org/html/S2733.html

I've expressed my opinion here and experience....That's all...YMMV

Can i have a large veggie pizza please, thanks....also do i get a free DVD with that?

servint most definitely does NOT support spamming. even the best and strictest ISP can get a real customer who pays, gets his server and then turns into a spam machine, churning millions of the puppies, before anyone can take notice and shut it down.

The the ISP, it looks like a regular customer until they find out spam is being sent out.

then they shut it down. in the meantime, all those spam emails reach people, including people who report it to spamcopy and spews. a lot of these RBL's are impossible to get off.

So now the ISP did completely the right thing but they are screwed bc spews or someone equally tenacious has listed their IPs and will _never_ delist them.

This does not mean the ISP is spam-friendly!

Servint is a reputable business and frankly its hard to think you are credible.
    George Donnelly / Systems Administrator
    High Speed Rails inc. / FOSS Hosting
    http://highspeedrails.com
    "Linux is Luke. FreeBSD is Yoda."

I suppose there's a reason why some providers have open forums and others do not...

I agree, I tend to trust a companies service a great deal more if I can read the forums response and see how they handle all types of customers. I expect and hope to see a couple of customer complaints. If it's a good provider they won't delete the complaints and will instead do their best to defend themselves/apologize and then move on.

I was looking to join up with ServerInt this summer, but I think I should research the standards a VPS should provide a bit more before jumping in.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Those forums aren't company forums, they are VPS customer forums. They are a value-add for the VPS customers. Even our own dedicated server customers don't have access to the VPS forums. I understand the sentiments regarding open forums versus closed, but the forums referred to here are part of the product itself. Perhaps calling them vpscustomerforums.servint.net instead of forums.servint.net would help, but that's alot to type.
    ServInt
    Providing Managed VPS for over 11 years
    Managed Dedicated Servers for almost 19 years!
    http://www.servint.net

Using this ideology I guess that would mean Hosts that do not offer forums are bad hosts?

We provide tutorials, forums, webmaster resources and many other features that are restricted to Client Only access. I don't think we are the only ones that have that practice....

The forums are closed to foster an air of confidentiality and increase sharing of information. Theres nothing dodgy going on in there, it just allows people to speak more freely and post more explicit logs etc.
    I knew they had forums and I know rackshacks forums are a credit to it but the vps forums are for servints vps customers only not the general public. They also I believe help to take a little bit of load off the support staff but I would leave it to Reed to confirm that aspect of it.

Servint arent the ones running around making accusations and not backing them up with evidence. It would be nutso for Servint to go around selling your email address because you left them. Its a freak coincidence, ya know a coincidence that happens to freaks.
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by Rick_M

The negatives have been rare, but bordering on being substantial. The most significant have been a few days of a sluggish server - my VPS loads were very high, yet my traffic hadn't changed. First suggestions I had from the NOC were that my scripts were exceeding resources. I disabled some scripts, but the site was still sluggish. Then they suggested that I was still exceeding resources, so I tried increasing the package I was on - still with no change. Then they said there were some other problems, including a problem with the hard drive where they were going to reformat things. fortunately, with a RAID drive (I don't understand this stuff too much), the system didn't actually go down, but was just a little slower than usual.

I'm glad you posted this, because I recently signed up with a VPS from a very highly praised company here on WHT (not Servint), and basically experienced the same kind of server load/speed instability. And better yet, the few sites I've added do not even have real traffic flowing in yet. Pages would sometimes take forever to load, and a netmechanic report returns some really horrendous results 1/3 of the period it's monitoring, even a few server downs. I'm close to concluding that the technology behind VPS may not be as mature as we'd like it to be, and either other people on the same server can still affect you, or the technology allocating the resource usage of customers on the same server is doing a poor job. Whatever the cause, I think going dedicated is probably a better option in the long run then trying to save a few bucks in this regard.

Although the servers running the VPS at Servint are pretty beefed up machines, the loading up of multiple copies of the OS on each of the VPS segments may in itself bog down the machine. Besides the guaranteed minimum CPU timing slice and memory allocation may not actually add up to much if the server is allocated to its maximum number of VPS slices on the machine. Unlike a shared environment where a site can use up the entire resource of the server, the VPS guarantees a set minimum no matter what happens. Many minimums would surely add up to quite a hefty bit.

Personally, I am not sure where the VPS market lies especially with dedicated server prices falling by quite a bit. Some offering the VPS plans are offering the same unmanaged solution as the lower end dedicated servers.

I had a VPS account in the initial days when Servint starting its offering. I thought of saving some money by going for it. It works well when there is no dynamic contents but bottom up when it gets a little intensive on the dynamic content. After being with them for sometime, I went back to a dedicated machine as I expected too much from a VPS plan.

In all fairness, Reed and his team have been quite helpful and it was indeed a pleasure to work with a professional team such as theirs. I have nothing but praise for them as they did their best to accomodate me. However the VPS plan did not work as I wanted it to.

As for the spam issue, it is an unfortunate issue since a datacenter such as Servint is unable to read the minds of their clients and sense their intentions prior to sign up. I am sure they do not enforce a team of enforcers tracking every single actions of their customers. If spam happens, they happen. It is easy to get a block of IP blacklisted but it is never an easy task whitelisting them. Those who take it upon themselves to maintain a blacklist policy do not just blacklist a single IP but the entire block so innocent people do get dragged into the issue because they happen to be on that block. To make it worst, ARIN is not too accomodating so if you are assigned a block, you are stuck with it for life.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Re: Re: Re: Re: ServInt VPS Issue's - Before you buy.....READ

Originally posted by lnguyen
    could you elaborate on this? Either side....
    http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings...sp=servint.com

Admittedly not nearly as large a listing as some others we all know and love, and no ROKSO spammers, but definitely a long-term thing with mailgravity.

-B

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    I have no first hand knowledge about mailgravity, what they do, or if they actively practice violating ServInt's TOS. When you have millions of dollars in revenue I hardly think risking your reputation over one client is worth the risk, from reading Bob Farmer's post it would appear that he doesn't think it is worth taking that risk either.[/b]
    I don't spend much time on the spam wars anymore, so I don't have extensive first-hand experience with mailgravity. However, their reputation isn't good. They are an opt-out spammer, and have landed themselves on spews, spamhaus, and a handful of lesser lists as a result.

Mailgravity appears to be a fairly large organization, and as such, probably cuts a substantial check to Servint every month. I'd bet that fact, combined with the fact that mailgravity doesn't appear to be doing anything specifically illegal (that I'm aware of), is weighed in the balance when determining what, if anything, is to be done with them in regards to any blocklistings that crop up. It's not like they're some fly-by-night $9.00/month "make penis fast" spammer who you'd boot without hesitition.

The above paragraph contains some speculation on my part, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch, in the tradion of Burst and Azoogle.

While I personally think that any email marketing campaigns are pure evil I also have to concede the fact that there are legitimate mailing lists and email campaigns that take place out there.
    Agreed.

I also have a number of ServInt IPs and have never had a single issue with any of them being listed.
    You might want to run the tvihosting.com IP through openrbl.org. It's listed with spews at level 2.

-B
    Last edited by TMX; 03-23-2004 at 02:14 AM.

Originally posted by TMX
    You might want to run the tvihosting.com IP through openrbl.org. It's listed with spews at level 2.

-B
    That is a perfect example of Spews being lazy and wrongly listing multiple blocks of IP addresses. The IP for TVI hosting is a dedicated and has no other traffic on it but what I personally use, there is no SPAM originating from there.

If this was an accurate portrayal of SPAM then why is SPEWS the only one listing them out of over 150 SPAM databases?

SPAM Check from DNSstuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast