how much am i looking at?

I have a system i want to colo and i'm looking for throttled 1mbit or 2mbit connections.

I would like a facility that allows vlans (full 100mbit internal network) so i can expand my servers and allow full high speed local connectivity.

how much should i be looking at? I sent out a quote here but i have no clue what to expect.

If you're doing 1U rackmounts, expect to pay about $150 or so for this service.

Depending on the facility you can expect two charges. One is the bandwidth used + switch port, and the second is the rack space. I've seen switch ports go for $150/mth + $75/mth per 1U. Thats with no outgoing bandwidth yet. This was in a major carrier facility so the prices were a bit high. I would look around for a smaller colo company and see if you can work a deal. I agree with Mfjp you can expect to pay around $150/mth total. There is a price jump between 1Mbit and 2Mbit too. Same with 1U to 4U.

Goodluck finding a hosting company,

Dustin Wright
    The Karcher Group

Thanks. I'm specifically looking for someone that can throttle and allow vlan. Color or server provided through facility doesn't matter.

Want vlan possible so i can breakout a webserver if needed. $150 is sure a heck of alot cheaper then getting a t1 locally.

Thanks!

More Information

You can expect that a host that can throttle will have a little better equipment like managed switches and private routers and firewalls. I only say this because you need one of these with the options to throttle and vlan.

There is good and bad in throttling since it can bottlekneck your peak times.

You should be able to do better than these prices. If you like a host always negociate. Most hosts have margin they can deal on. If you want to pay list buy off the site. If you want the real price always talk to a sales rep or the sales email off their web site.
    cPanel Partner NOC -StoreSense E-Commerce Partner
    Personal, Business, Co-location, Reseller
    Negociated pricing on 1-12 month Contracts
    [email protected] www.dpssystems.com

More Information

Re: More Information

Originally posted by dpshost
    You can expect that a host that can throttle will have a little better equipment like managed switches and private routers and firewalls. I only say this because you need one of these with the options to throttle and vlan.
    I don't know what a private router is; did you make this up? We have all the capabilities you have mentioned designed into our network topology, and we do not have private routers. What we do have is vlan-per-customer, although even that is not absolutely necessary for what you have described.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

I think what he meant by private router is that you do your own routing (and therefore have at least one router on your network), rather than simply hooking up a switch to a patch panel directly to the upstream.

Surely no one would use a hosting company with no IP routers of their own. That's ... crazy!

Re: Re: More Information

Originally posted by jsw6
    I don't know what a private router is; did you make this up? We have all the capabilities you have mentioned designed into our network topology, and we do not have private routers. What we do have is vlan-per-customer, although even that is not absolutely necessary for what you have described.
    A Private router can be explain in many ways. Some of our customers have a private router...some hosters call it (internally) a private router if they manager their own router rather than using there providers. It is an unclear term for sure.

What I was trying to explain jsw6 was that unless you have higher end equipment you can't do this. There are various ways depending on the layer level of your switching equipment and other hardware you have. I did not mean to infer all the pieces were required. In some cases it depends on your topology and the hardware I mentioned is not inclusive of all hardware options capable of perfroming this function.

If you can stay out of the router business all the better. Currently we do not throttle customers and instead get monthly reports on their port(s) utilization.

Originally posted by jsw6
    Surely no one would use a hosting company with no IP routers of their own. That's ... crazy!
    I would venture to say most do not. How many reseller companies are out there...jizillions. We have a bunch. I would be willing to bet most do not have the time or the technical ability to deal with them. Certainly not in an HA mode as I think is required.

Originally posted by dpshost
    I would venture to say most do not. How many reseller companies are out there...jizillions. We have a bunch. I would be willing to bet most do not have the time or the technical ability to deal with them. Certainly not in an HA mode as I think is required.
    The WHT definition of reseller, I thought, was essentially someone who acts as an agent or broker for "bricks-and-mortar" hosting companies. These resellers often do not have their own billing or customer service mechanisms. I thought it was understood that they did not operate their own network. Did I miss the boat?

The above said, a reseller is able to offer whatever capabilities the companies' for which they are agents choose to make available to them. If I had agents selling hosting for me, they could certainly offer all the technical features discussed in this thread, because I provide all those things. A reseller need not go out and purchase routers and switches to offer "high availability" features like VRRP and redundant/diverse layer 2 paths, because I do that already.

Is your company a reseller or some kind? Perhaps it would help if you discussed what kind of technical infrastructure you operate, and at what point you hand-off to an upstream. The reseller term seems not at all clear in this thread!