Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EV1 Increased Its Prices?

I don't check often, but I do have 3 servers with them and their current prices are much higher than on my 3 servers I bought about 8 months ago.

Has EV1 decided to dramatically increase their dedicated server prices across the board?
      0 Not allowed!

Yes..

Can't blame them really. They can get away with charging alittle more because they are so well established.

Lets hope they put the extra money to good use ;-) (not paying for linux!)
      0 Not allowed!

They still have their own $99 dollar servers.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, well, I have no intention of paying their prices. I currently use two different ded server providers and EV1 is not anything special. Their prices are what drew me in initially so now that they have increased their prices (Evidently to pay for their new data center?) they do not look attractive to me. I guess they have all the business from me they are going to get. I will check out the other providers. I have a need for a new Windows server and a new Linux server. Looks like someone else besides EV1 will get my future business.
      0 Not allowed!

Well they have to pay for the data center, and recover the money they paid to SCO.
      0 Not allowed!

Hrmm, i guess you get what you pay for. I personally dont think they are expensive at all
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    Hrmm, i guess you get what you pay for. I personally dont think they are expensive at all
    It's a matter of perception. As a current customer, I perceive their prices have gone up dramatically, which they have. That bothers me. How am I to know if their prices will go up even further. I don't. But, because I have witnessed 1 dramatic price increase, I don't care to wait for another.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    They're expensive considering the quality of their technical support (at least first level). If they want to increase their prices they should hire some people for support, as opposed to their current staff of trained monkeys with typewriters.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com
      0 Not allowed!

I know I'm a little behind, but what's this whole deal about EV1 and SCO?
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.
      0 Not allowed!

As compared to the new DC's one million does not seem to be that big money.
      0 Not allowed!

Everybody is so accustomed to WHT prices. EV1's deals are by no means expensive. Take a look at hardware, datacenter, staff, and bandwidth costs - they have great deals. Before EV1 came onto the scene, there really werent any $100/month servers.

- Matt
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by DD-SNC
    I know I'm a little behind, but what's this whole deal about EV1 and SCO?
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040301/lam082_1.html
      0 Not allowed!

EV1 made a hoo-haa years back when it broke the ground for unmanaged dedicated servers by offering them for sub-$100 prices. Granted they were for the Cobalt RaQs but have since wooed many to their camp by continuing to offer servers at extra low cost. Over the years, several companies have attempted to penetrate that market with their sub-$100 pricing.

EV1 has already a very established name and reputation in the market and I believe with their current offerings they are just pricing in accordance to what is right. They may no longer be the price-leader but probably are moving towards a higher level in the industry.

Servers were traditionally priced well over $300 until EV1 (Rackshack) stepped in and even at their current pricing, they still very cheap for what they have to offer (if you do not start comparing prices around).

Think about the benefit the web server brings to you, surely it is worth more than the price you pay for it. A few dollars a day to have it is still cheaper than what most people spend for meals or snacks a day. If you know what goes into making the server stay up and the benefits it brings, I am sure you will be willing to pay more for it.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions
      0 Not allowed!

I think the business practices EV1 has been doing are unacceptable. They are raising their price for sucky support and the speed increases are not that much better. (Plus the fact that a 3.06 GHZ P4 probably costs the same as a P4 2.0 GHZ at the time when they opened the company.)

Unacceptable. Looking for dedicated providers elsewhere.
      0 Not allowed!

The initial deployment of servers at DC2 all have 2 hard drives, more RAM and more transfer (as compared to any configuration at DC1). In addition the dual xeon servers at DC2 have SCSI drives and almost all also have DRAC cards (remote console and remote reboot cards.) These upgrades are simply included in the base price. The servers that become available at DC1 have the same prices as always, and a richer spectrum of servers will ultimately be available at both datacenters.

Sincerely,
    Randy Williams, CTO
    EV1servers.net
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by illuzhen777
    I think the business practices EV1 has been doing are unacceptable. They are raising their price for sucky support and the speed increases are not that much better. (Plus the fact that a 3.06 GHZ P4 probably costs the same as a P4 2.0 GHZ at the time when they opened the company.)

Unacceptable. Looking for dedicated providers elsewhere.
    Gimme a break! If a business wants to raise its prices, it can, especially when all new servers are DELL servers, and not wite boxes. Ev1 just bought another building and created an impressive, large datacenter out of what used to be practically a shell of a building. They need to pay for it somehow. They're the largest server provider in the US, so they must be doing something right. I'd say be prepared to get flamed

-Josh
      0 Not allowed!

Gimme a break too! People going with EV1 at the very beginning was the price as many have pointed out. Who would try them at the beginning when they were unknown in the dedicated server's market? Of course their cheap prices! Now they have made so much, and become so greed on the top of their management. After all, people/users like WHT here will keep recommending this falling company. You know that, you have seen that here, so don't deny it. Come on guys, if you want quality, EV1 would never be in your mind, only newbies, dummies and people on a small budget will try EV1. Bascially they don't promise to guarantee anything for end-users like you and me. No SLA, no compensation in any circumstances, cheap hardware(believe me most EV1 users will have hardware failure sooner or later after they sign up), extreme oversell bandwidth(lets face it every customer gets allowed to use at least 700G or more that's like 2Mbps, so 18000x2=36GigE, and they got just 13GigE), disaster in the making or just how greed/irresponsible they are IMO! Like everything keeps pointing out, they would rather give funds to SCO, spent millions to build a new DC(make more money out of you), sponsored football game(it has nothing to improve their customers), and more parties for them. They haven't spent a penny to imporve their well-known tech support staff and customer services, nor anything back to their customers like increasing bandwidth. We all know that there are 2 good things about EV1, cheap and a solid network. Sorry they already lost the first one a long time ago. They still have a solid network, but if you unplugg immediately every customer's server for DDOS(either incoming/or outgoing), spam complaints, and abuse, of course you get a better and solid network, but at the expenses of their customers like you and me, we know most of us are in hosting business, unplug a server is like killing our business, mistakes do happen, and most hosts are good and will act fast to reslove the problem, but unplug a customer's server is selfish act, remember who makes them the #1. EV1 was success because they were the cheapest at first, now they are succeed and want to raise prices, it will make sense if they improve their network, tach staff and customer services as well, the fact of the matter is they don't, just raise prices, nothing has been done/spent on customers and staff. You can keep defending them, but please do make some sense when you do, point me something that they have done other than funding SCO, sponsoring football game, and building more DC.
      0 Not allowed!

i think we will be seeing a lot of 1and1... cheaper, bigger noc, impressive money back garantee!
      0 Not allowed!

I for one am a loyal customer of rackshack and think the new developements are great!
    Off Topic Web Forum - A forum for talking about anything!!
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Go with them or don't go with them, the choice is yours. If you know you are getting a better deal elsewhere than go for that.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions
      0 Not allowed!

Like I said, I am unimpressed with them after about 9 months. They are nothing special. When Dialtone was still around, down in Miami, they had an excellent deal going because they had excellent support. They were more expensive, than EV1 is now, but they would make deals with established customers and you could almost always reach them within minutes by telephone. (Of course, Interland bought them and now Dialtone no longer exists).

But EV1, I just don't see it. I think they have spent a lot of money to position themselves and make their systems good for their customers, at least it appears so, and that is fine. However, if they are going to charge more expensive prices, then they should be prepared to see a slower growth rate as their prices are what brought a lot of people in, like me. I have decided that they are not worth the prices they are charging. I need higher end servers, and I can get the same support, similar uptime and network reliability at better prices by going elsewhere, and that is what I and I am sure, many others will be doing.
      0 Not allowed!

well, if anyone knows a better place, good prices, etc. please post it here.
      0 Not allowed!

lets face it every customer gets allowed to use at least 700G or more that's like 2Mbps, so 18000x2=36GigE, and they got just 13GigE
    is that true basically

then if it's like that, there are certain datacenter only have 2.5GigE, how can they offer unlimited bandwidth?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by smallbox
    lets face it every customer gets allowed to use at least 700G or more that's like 2Mbps, so 18000x2=36GigE, and they got just 13GigE), disaster in the making or just how greed/irresponsible they are IMO!
    Joker. As there is no limitation on the time frame, during what customers can use their 700G (a week, day, hour, minute, second?), why are you not demanding dedicated GigE for every server? So 20000 GigE-s?

If you look usage of existing 13 GigEs, you can see that there is plenty of headroom, so probability of disaster from bandwidth shortage is so small, that it is not worth even considering.
      0 Not allowed!

comparing $99 for a celeron 1.3 with 512Mb ram and a 60gb hard drive to $189 for a p4 2.4 w/1Gb Ram and Dual 80Gb hdd's is like comparing a Geo to a Honda.

Those of you basing your complaint in this thread off of the fact that you paid $99 for that celeron and now you want to get that p4 for $99 as well with the extra bandwidth obviously haven't heard of a business plan. Simple economics, a more powerful system with more options costs more money, period, end of discussion.
    Ryan Porter, Owner
    Extreme Internet Solutions
    Quality Hosting Solutions -- Affordable Prices
    Providing Fabulous Hosting and Unreal Web Design! Excellence is our focus.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast