Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

the host quote is a bunch of bs

I requested a quote and i still havent received a reponse. I though this community was a great place to find a good host.

no its a commercial blackhole

Eddie

How long since you submitted a request?

If it's been a while, the only realy reason why i'd think you wouldn't get "any" responses is if you're asking for huge amounts of resources with an un-realistic budget.

Can you give us an idea of what you requested?
    Hyperconfused (™)

What quotes do you want to find out?

Hmm, only reason why you won't get a quote is if you ask for the moon. The request section is handled responsibly by hosts and "odd requests" are mostly not responded to.

Example : Need 20 Gb, 200 Gb Bandwidth, Phone Support, SSH.
    Expected Price : No more than $20/month

10Gb/100Gb requests in $10/month are also very frequent.

So, for these or similar requests, the requestor has 2 broad options...

1] Be content with rare or NO responses

2] Mention this in your request "J/K" i.e. "Just/Kidding", then hosts would see it in good humorous spirit and reply with own estimates.

I think the MODS should add a checkbox "Wishful Thinking" and if someone checks that, then it means he's open to other quotes as well.

It would indeed be interesting to see what you asked for. I believe the hosts in premium only respond to about 25% of requests because:-

1. They don't offer all you ask for (eg control panel)
    2. The offer was just too way over the top to consider seriously.

*goes to look

Consider this from the host's POV - would he respond to a quote request from you if you are asking for the moon for a few bucks a month?

Bottomline is - if you make realistic requests, you will get more responses. I've made a request less than 12 hours ago, and so far have received 3 responses. I'm just waiting for more to respond before I decide who to go with.

The web hosts who pay for the membership in that area are for the most part going to be businesses with serious business plans in place. If you've requested a 'junk quote' it's going to be ignored.

I'd be interested in what stats you posted as well. It'll be a telling sign.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

His request was for a cpanel dedicated server. Many datacenters can match his request but the truth of it is that hardly anyone responds to quotes in the dedicated section. The average views on threads is 5 compared to *alot* more than that in the shared hosting section.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Many datacenters can match his request but the truth of it is that hardly anyone responds to quotes in the dedicated section. The average views on threads is 5 compared to *alot* more than that in the shared hosting section.
    Interesting... what would be the reason for that?

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    It would indeed be interesting to see what you asked for. I believe the hosts in premium only respond to about 25% of requests because:-

1. They don't offer all you ask for (eg control panel)
    2. The offer was just too way over the top to consider seriously.

*goes to look

that is true...
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Interesting... what would be the reason for that?
    Cheap dedicated providers don't have time to hussle on a forum. They are either too busy filling in the orders or too busy keeping their network up.

Much information is not required when filling out the HostQuote form, but including things such as your full name, phone number, etc, can help. Just your first name and email address is enough, but I would assume most hosts will ignore them..

But the request didn't seem outragous...

Cheap dedicated providers don't have time to hussle on a forum. They are either too busy filling in the orders or too busy keeping their network up.
    Thanks for the insight Laurence. I'll keep that in mind...

i mis the old one where you would post and you would get 5 reponses in 5 hours

this place use to be the best place to find a great deal

Originally posted by webrats
    i mis the old one where you would post and you would get 5 reponses in 5 hours

this place use to be the best place to find a great deal

Great deals can sometimes be perfect. But for a long time the request forums used to be filled with people who sold hosting and would not be in business next month or even next week...

That was the biggest complaint with the forums. Now that we require payment to use the leads, atleast people can get quotes from companies with some kind of budget

The old system was terrible Prohacker pretty much summed it up perfectly. Great deal by night horror story by morning.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Quantity is not quality. You get 5, but from what type of companies? Months before it was pulled, we stopped reviewing the request threads.

To be frank, we are pretty close to stopping reviewing the host quote threads currently. Just too much time for too little returns (yes we do get some sales, but still to get that elusive sale requires a lot more effort than other avenues we got).

<Edited upon request by sprintserve>
    Last edited by choon; 03-22-2004 at 04:29 AM.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

sprintserve,you mean you may stop reviewing the HostQuote section?

To tell you the truth, I stop in every other day and may respond to about 5 or 6 out of 30 new ones.

Hint: If anyone offers Windows, you could make a killing in there by the looks of it.
    Last edited by NexDog; 03-21-2004 at 09:49 PM.

Originally posted by NexDog

Hint: If anyone offers Windows, you could make a killing in there by the looks of it.
    For the life of me I can't find where to sign up.
    Primal Blue Software, Inc.
    primalblue.com

Yup. I meant the host quote thread thanks for pointing it out.

Yes. Did notice that, but that's the story previously even when the request threads were around. Windows Hosting requests are seldom responded to, and from the profile of most hosts here, the Linux crowd far outnumber the Windows crowd.

But we aren't going in there, simply because it's almost like doubling the resources if you support a new OS currently and we aren't quite sure we wish to do that.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

I'd better get a Windows reseller account fast then.

the host quote is a bunch of bs
    Actually, the fact that there are no hosts that offer "great deals" makes me feel that the Host Quote is worth something (for now). I'm still concerned regarding its success, usefulness & quality in the long term though...

the cost to join is a bit high for me.

Yep, that's why it's there.

Originally posted by NexDog
    Yep, that's why it's there.

And that would be ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast