Lightbulb Help me with mail server

Hi all, first post but WHT has been very helpful for me when setting up my first dedicated box.

I am having trouble with my mail server. I am running mailenable on Win 2k3 server. I can receive emails no problem but can't send out. I don't think there is a problem with the DNS: dnsreport,com/tools/ but it still seems other mail servers won't accept mail from me. I have configured RRAS basic firewall to open only the ports I need. What steps do other mail servers go through to check the sender of incoming mail?

Site is www, (won't let me post urls yet ) and I am running the mail server on the same IP (will change this in future when I have it all working).

Thanks for any help.

Phil Garner

What bounce back are you getting if any ? Or does the mail stay queued on the server ?
    Datums Internet Solutions, LLC
    Systems Engineering & Managed Hosting Services
    Complex Hosting Consultants

MailEnable: Message delivery has been delayed.

Message is waiting at for delivery to

Reason: Mail Server for could not be contacted at this time. MailEnable will keep trying to deliver this message and will notify you of any progress.

Message headers follow:

Received: from mirage ([]) by with MailEnable ESMTP; Sun, 21 Mar 2004 04:05:43 -0600
    To: <[email protected]>
    Subject: ping now
    Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 10:06:25 -0000
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.5510
    Thread-Index: AcQPLCtFTLP0E7VaS8GcVYLVMEl7TA==
    X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165

However, I think I know the root of the problem now. I have submitted a ticket to servermatrix to update the PTR DNS record so that reverse DNS on my mail IP resolves to my mailserver. Hopefully that should do the trick.