Question Newbie questions about webhosting biz

I was considering getting into the reseller/hosting biz. I'm trying to determine whether the potential profit from running a webhosting business is worth the cost and the time. I want to make sure exactly what I'm getting into.

So, I have some questions for y'all:

In your experience, about how many customers can you fit onto a dedicated server? If you oversell service, about what percentage over your disk/transfer limit can you effectively sell before you go over (or the service level declines)?

What do your profit margins (per server) look like?

How does a reseller or dedicated host compete with the larger companies who are able to offer plans from .33 to .50 per gig of transfer? I was thinking of charging customers by the gig (transfer), but it's a delicate balance between being competitive and not making money.

If one were to start-up a (hopefully) well-planned webhosting business in this day and age, what would the growth curve look like? In other words, how long until you get customers, become profitable, and grow from a reseller account to your first dedicated server, and the second, and so on?

I know these questions are general and kinda vague, but I'm just asking for your experiences. Hope I'm not being too presumptuous here.

Thanks for your input,

Every last one of these questions has been answered on this board. Use the search feature.