Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leaving for two years!

I am leaving all technology and my location for about two years cuz I am going out of country. However... I still need my site to be kept up. I have looked around and the best thing I have been able to find so far is with my current host, HomepageUniverse.com, and they have been great. Good transfer speeds, lots of space, no server issues (except a DNS server switch over thingi). But now that I am leaving I am really going to scale down my site. I am wondering if you guys have some good input, seeing as how this is the guru forum on webhosting. This is what I am looking for

~5-7 gigs transfer
    150+megs of HD space
    SQL DB
    PHP

not a real high end plan. The best prices I have been able to find are again, with my current host Homepage Universe.com at 70$ /yr

Thanks for any helps guys!

try onemillionhost.com

wow, 9 bucks a year man. That is cheap. How is the reliablility though? I will probably end up paying for something a bit more pricey than that cuz of the need I have for reliability because I wont be able to manage it effectivly from where I am going.

worth a try only 9 bucks

hrmm, perhaps I will. How are are affiliated with them? History?

9 dollars a year

pffffft

Go for a bigger host and spend money , a webhost charging 9 dollars a year isn't going to stay in business that long...

Good luck

i just sign up

Yah, I would be suspicious of such a post too.

You can request hosting here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php

Some reputable companies will reply.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Yes, if you are going to be gone for 2 years, are you going to trust that your site is going to be running as you would hope to a 9/year host? Does not seem like a plan for success.

Good Luck.
    Rob
    Founder and former owner of SRLnet. Sold in 2006

I quite agree with the other users posts. I think I will prolly end up spending 150+ for the two years. Although that isnt bad. I was just hoping I could find something with good a good rap for around 100

What are those onemillionhost.com?

Originally posted by NexDog
    Yah, I would be suspicious of such a post too.

You can request hosting here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/request.php

Some reputable companies will reply.
    actually, just people who paid to get leads...

as for the rest of this thread...

i do hate the smell of meat
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

checkout my website,
    I host lot of my website with them 50+ of them
    www.malljunction.com
    www.gamenfo.com
    www.programlaunch.com

they respond email preety fast.

if they close business, it's only $8.88/yr. it's like you only lost one meal in a year

Well if your running a webmaster forum. You should find a web hosting company that you can have a working relationship. For instance what if it becomes really popular while your gone and you are exceeding your transfer rates. You should find a host that will make provisions for the site that are needed.

Also, make sure you have a moderating staff that you can trust, or the forum will certainly die in your absense.

Re: Leaving for two years!

Originally posted by Chaseb
    I have looked around and the best thing I have been able to find so far is with my current host, HomepageUniverse.com, and they have been great. Good transfer speeds, lots of space, no server issues (except a DNS server switch over thingi)

The best prices I have been able to find are again, with my current host Homepage Universe.com at 70$ /yr

Thanks for any helps guys!
    Why bother changing you seem really happy with your current host and their prices, seems odd that you would even consider risking a change.

The saying goes, "It's better the devil you know."
    2 BUCK HOST | WHT Member Since 2002. | DBH Internet Enterprises.
    LiteSpeed, cPanel, Fully Managed WordPress, CloudLinux, DDoS Protection, Daily Backups,
    RAID 10 Pure SSD, Premium Network, 24/7 Support, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee.

Over 20 years experience in the Web Hosting Industry.

surely as long as you can get internet access, being out of the country for 2 yaers is hardly going to be an issue anyway.

for peace of mind even if you were staying, you shoudl be looking for a reputable, stable host.

if your existing host provides what you need and has been good for you , why bother even moving ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Finding ultracheap hosting is not a problem. Finding a reliable service is the important thing. It seems to me that you're happy with your host and it's not a very pricey deal. It'd keep using them.

I would go with pair.com

If I needed a site up for 2 years, that's who I would go with.

Also, you should talk to your host about what is going on, perhaps pay them a little extra to make sure your site is up if they move servers, data centers, etc..
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

tonhosting.com

$5.95/mo, 1000 MB, 70 gigs bandwidth, Cpanel, Free Setup, Excellent Service, Good Quality!!

Try them out!

Re: Leaving for two years!

Originally posted by Chaseb
    I am leaving all technology and my location for about two years cuz I am going out of country. However... I still need my site to be kept up. I have looked around and the best thing I have been able to find so far is with my current host, HomepageUniverse.com, and they have been great. Good transfer speeds, lots of space, no server issues (except a DNS server switch over thingi). But now that I am leaving I am really going to scale down my site. I am wondering if you guys have some good input, seeing as how this is the guru forum on webhosting.
    You state that the best host you can find is your current host, but you're looking for a new one?

This thread smells like to me, including some replys from others.

It's obvious to me that anyone who really values their site and is leaving the country for a while would definitely NOT host with a $9 per year outfit which just happened to be suggested in the first reply in a forum thread. Not tenable at all.

Nor is this sort of thread worthy of this forum. And oh look... the two posters have just 15 posts between them (at time of writing this message). It's so thin it's totally transparent.

The thread should be closed and deleted.

wow, some of the replies I have gotten have been a bit caustic! My only intention was to shop around and see what other offer's I could find. Most likely i will stick with my current host, like so many of you people would say leaving would be stupid. But then again, I would say the same about your and your ignorant and abrassive responses at my simple desire to see comprable competition. Cheers to those that were a help.

Originally posted by Studio98
    tonhosting.com

$5.95/mo, 1000 MB, 70 gigs bandwidth, Cpanel, Free Setup, Excellent Service, Good Quality!!

Try them out!
    Wow, can you add some more features to your recommendation. So obvious that you are spamming for your company. Your site doesn't resolve which means that it either doesn't exist or that the ton has overselling biting them in the backside already.

WHT has no need for $6 for 70gb host scammers. You can go away now.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

You can go away now.
    LOL. A very nice way to put it. So calm and yet so decisive...

Sorry to bring up an old post I just wanted to share a little comic relief.

9 dollars a year

pffffft

Go for a bigger host and spend money , a webhost charging 9 dollars a year isn't going to stay in business that long...

Good luck

Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast