Merchant Account that allows both e-Commerce and Manual Input

I have sell high end auto detail products, and currently have a website using Paypal, but for obvious reason, I want to go beyond that, since many customers are not big fans of PP.
    I also work car shows and many times do not have access to electricity, so I have to take cards manually. Those I need to input manually after the show. Is there anyone that can do both?
    Thanks
    Steve

Yes, there are actually a number of options available for exactly the purpose that you describe.

One option would be to get a manual imprinter and take an imprint of each card. Then later, you could key in the transaction through a "virtual terminal" via a payment gateway over the Internet to run through the transaction.

You could also use this same payment gateway to process automated Web orders online as well, possibly as a replacement or just in combination with PayPal.

The only downside to the above is that it exposes you to a problem if a card that you imprint and transact ends up getting declined when you later try to run it through the gateway.

So, as an alternative... you could call in each card over a toll-free voice authorization number to get an authorization code (and verify that the card is valid), or use a Phone Pay-type system to actually transact the entire sale that way.

Or, if your typical car shows will be in wireless coverage areas, there are systems such as the ComStar Wireless unit which are excellent. They are very inexpensive, offer you a card present "swipe rate" which is MUCH lower than an Internet transaction rate... and you can slide the card through a pager-sized device right there at the point of sale, typically in around 10 seconds.

There isn't any real downside to this system, except the upfront cost is several hundred dollars for the wireless terminal unit.

To determine which option is best, you'll need to think about what amount of sales volume you anticipate doing to see which one would be most cost effective for you.
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

You will most likely need an actual merchant account to do this (not a third-party account). Here in Australia we have mobile terminals that communicate with the banks in real-time via the mobile phone networks.

At these conventions - do they have internet access (broadband / wireless)? You could get an account & then use your laptop to actually swipe the card with a magentic swipe card reader. You would be able to get the swiped transaction rate at least.

You could get an internet merchant account for your website. The internet merchant account's discount rate is usually a bit higher than the brick & mortar.

Or you can get a knuckle buster as Chris mentioned, take the CC's & process them later - just don't do what one customer did - she left the CC receipts on top of her truck & forgot about them. They are somewhere in the Nevada desert

LOL, ouch. Yes, don't leave your receipts on top of your car or truck after taking an imprint. That could end up giving you a 100% discount rate.
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

you could key in the transaction through a "virtual terminal" via a payment gateway over the Internet to run through the transaction.
    Can you describe this in more detail and give me details of companies that offer this service

www.InternetSecure.com allows you to offer real time cc transactions on your site. As well, as the merchant you can login to your Admin panel and process manual transactions.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I need one that will accept uk

One that will accept transactions from the UK or to the UK?

Im in the uk and will be taking card orders from uk customers offline
    Basically they will phone or post me with their cc details
    I just need a system that will allow me to enter their details manually

Check out worldpay or www.mypaysystems.com - both have the ability to provide merchant accounts to merchants not in the US

Thanks for the replies, you have brought up some interesting options.
    My car shows range all over the place from a facilities perspective, however it is rare when I have and type of telecom access. In many cases electricity is a luxury.
    Interestingly enough, taking CC has not been that much of an issue at car shows, 90% of my customers are cash or check. In the 2 years I have been working this, I have never had a bounced check.
    However I am heading into an area where the clientel wil be a bit less monied... so to speak and taking CC will defineteyl expand teh business.

If you are currently taking 90% of your sales via cash or check for the trade shows, my suggestion would be to go the imprinter and voice authorization route. (or use a Phone/Dial Pay system unless you also want to be able to run Internet sales via CC as well)

That way, you minimize your out of pocket cost while still protecting yourself against declined cards for the occasional credit card sale that you run.

In your case, the one special area you will want to inquire about with any processor is to get a low "voice authorization call" rate as some processors charge a lot extra for those authorizations.

I hopped over to InternetSecure and they are only taking new applications for Canadian businesses., so that leaves me out.
    I stumbled across Propay, which appears to do what I need, using an imprinter and telephone. But OUCH!!! They want $395 for the XML Gateway. It's a $195 a year after that, which is OK, it comes down to $16.25 a month for a gateway fee.
    I looked at the spreadsheet of Merchant Accounts, but did not study it. I guess I will toss in a donation and study that
    Thanks

Grzldvt,

In my opinion, Your best option is already in this discussion thread!

Contact Chris from CDG Commerce and see what he can whip up for you. We recently signed up with them for internet merchant account and Chris took very good care of us. Plus, the application process only took about 48 hours from first application to approval notification.

I say give them a try.. I'm sure they can get you set up with a nice multi-use solution.

Good luck!